• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,769 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, ygogolak said:
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, 1Cool said:

Why?  PM me if you want to discuss it since I'm curious why you say this.  I bought the sets for $25 or so and to me selling them for $85 is a home run.  Bought a stack of #1s for $5 so selling them for $25 a piece does not seem like a bad deal to me.

140% ROI is a pretty good return. Especially if you can unload multiples all to one seller. Or you can sit on them, hoping to sell them at $85 on eBay and pay those fees and have to ship them to multiple people as individual sets.

I agree its worth moving the inventory in one spot and you are minus ebay fees. Or you could have just communicated via PM and saved yourself all this nonsense.

I move a lot of books to others sellers on this board. I make money they make money everyone is happy. Top Dollar is an illusion that has crushed many a seller. I am happy being a small fish making some money and helping other large dealers who in turn tip me off to books flying of the racks at conventions. Networking works. 

Edited by fastballspecial

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree its worth moving the inventory in one spot and you are minus ebay fees. Or you could have just communicated via PM and saved yourself all this nonsense.

I move a lot of books to others sellers on this board. I make money they make money everyone is happy. Top Dollar is an illusion that has crushed many a seller. I am happy being a small fish making some money and helping other large dealers who in turn tip me off to books flying of the racks at conventions. Networking works. 

:idea:

14 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Agree if he gets paid I doubt he gets to keep the money. I couldn't even bring myself to ask that for that junk.

1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I always forget there are only like 65 or so of the 9.8 1st prints out there.  Which makes this not insane.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=263376174441&rmvSB=true

I remember when it was like 2. Very tough book in 9.8. Money always brings them out.

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree with this 100 percent. I know 1cool wants to maximize his profit, but to me any profit is good profit especially if I had multiples of a book. Money in hand is worth more than more money over a longer period of time

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I agree with this 100 percent. I know 1cool wants to maximize his profit, but to me any profit is good profit especially if I had multiples of a book. Money in hand is worth more than more money over a longer period of time

Duh, it's 1cool

13 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Except that every book I ever sold is worth much more now . . . . hm

Edited by divad

18 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I tend to be more patient and let stuff sit for awhile if I think they still have room to grow since why blow them out quickly - I'm not in a huge rush.  But books that I buy in bulk and have 25 copies and I paid $0.10 a piece then I'm happy to sell a bunch for $2 a piece even though they are $5 books.  I look at things as being fluid and you have to adjust each time. 

So many factors here; Inventory size, spending capital vs monthly gain, spec worthy book (hold) vs dump casualties (when you have multiple copies of a book and sold slowly for nice profit and all of a sudden someone cutthroats you at half or less), rare books, SUPER rare books. Every book gets treated differently

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 1:36 PM, 1Cool said:

Definetely - don't be caught holding on to a ton of sets when the movie comes out.  Infinity War is everywhere and I don't think people will be ponying out $40 for high grade sets in the future.  Thanks for the reminder.  I think I've got 3 sets left I have to post up for sale lol 

Yeah, if you are getting crazy money for Infinty War sets blow them out ASAP. Gauntlet sets sell well, but the Infinity War and Infinity Watch drek has sat in dollar bins for the past couple of decades until recently. I felt guilty when IW #1s started selling at $10 last year. Now I just shake my head when they get snapped up at $20. lol

23 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

So many factors here; Inventory size, spending capital vs monthly gain, spec worthy book (hold) vs dump casualties (when you have multiple copies of a book and sold slowly for nice profit and all of a sudden someone cutthroats you at half or less), rare books, SUPER rare books. Every book gets treated differently

Agree strongly.  And everyone has different preferences and preferred risk/reward levels they like.  There's no perfect way that will apply for everyone.  My main priority is to buy so low that I'll make money (or at least breakeven) regardless of market fluctuations.  But at the same time, I don't mind smaller profit margins.  If I'm at the store anyways buying other books, I don't mind buying a book for $1 that I can sell for $2, or a book for $5 that I can sell for $8.  I mean hopefully MOST of the time you'll have better margins, but having low margins sometimes is ok, especially if it leads to more attractive books in your thread or convention box that could draw in more buyers to buy the stuff you have better margins on.

1 hour ago, revat said:

Agree strongly.  And everyone has different preferences and preferred risk/reward levels they like.  There's no perfect way that will apply for everyone.  My main priority is to buy so low that I'll make money (or at least breakeven) regardless of market fluctuations.  But at the same time, I don't mind smaller profit margins.  If I'm at the store anyways buying other books, I don't mind buying a book for $1 that I can sell for $2, or a book for $5 that I can sell for $8.  I mean hopefully MOST of the time you'll have better margins, but having low margins sometimes is ok, especially if it leads to more attractive books in your thread or convention box that could draw in more buyers to buy the stuff you have better margins on.

Yes. I never ever spend more than a third of my income from the hobby of the previous month - and thats at the most!

I usually find deals that keep me very happy at margins of 3x my investment, some will flip in a week while others could last for months. 

If I had a quick return from the flips AND a solid month I'll invest some capital on spec books in the same method you have outlined above - buy them at a price I will never lose on, but hopefully make a solid profit.

I also have $100+ books that I never ever go wrong with and always flip for 3x the amount, sometimes higher. Those are my secret weapon books. But even while they never fail to yield a return - I always never spend more than a third of my previous month profits.