• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,797 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would absolutely buy every copy of Excalibur #1 for $1 that I found. No question.

That was a hot, hot, HOT book in early 1989...more valuable in the OPG than Wolverine #1 and PWJ #1, which came out near it.

In OPG, maybe, but there never appeared to be more demand for Excalibur than the other books where I grew up.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:04 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You don't have to see the word "trending"; you just have to be familiar with the English language. "Heating" and "Selling" suggest a continuous tense – that is "a trend" – if there are *repeated* sales. The title doesn't say "Sold Well"

:blahblah: Says you and your minions. :roflmao:

On 8/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, FlyingDonut said:

They are. Your sales model is fine - it works for you, so congratulations - but all of the sales you're referencing are outliers in the greater scheme of things. They do not set the market, nor do they show anything outside of a great sale for you. Take the Excalibur 1 sale, for example. Huge props to you for selling one for five to six times what all the other eBay sales are.

Hell, HUGE props to you for selling a book for double what Mile High has it for. That's actually pretty amazing. Someone bought a book from  you - again, congrats - for twice what Mile High Comics has it listed for, with the realization that there are literally thousands of posts on this message board talking about Mile High's insane pricing.

Thanks :foryou: But you too have run up some crazy-azz prices in the auction format, which I commend you for also. The short side of that is that you have to spend so much time packing for the books that sell at normal prices. I recognize your volume dwarfs mine. But as I am a more casual seller, I don't need to sell any inventory. :smile:

On 8/26/2018 at 5:14 PM, divad said:

Thanks :foryou: But you too have run up some crazy-azz prices in the auction format, which I commend you for also. The short side of that is that you have to spend so much time packing for the books that sell at normal prices. I recognize your volume dwarfs mine. But as I am a more casual seller, I don't need to sell any inventory. :smile:

At least the Donut has ethics.  Sometimes it's not about who does the most, but who does it right.  

50 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

1992 prices

Those are spring/summer of 1993 prices, if even that. Even at "full Wizard", those books never reached $290 in 1992. The total for all 8 books that existed by the April, 1993 Wizard was only $216.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sooo many low feedback bids...certainly looks fishy.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:08 AM, divad said:

Okay, here's a few "CA" books that have sold for good prices:

Not calling this an outlier is a straight out lie ?

On 8/26/2018 at 11:11 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

In OPG, maybe, but there never appeared to be more demand for Excalibur than the other books where I grew up.

Excalibur 1 (one shot prestige) was as hot as it gets back then. That book went to 3 reprints, led to sequels and eventually an on going series. I can't think of any other marvel original character/team that performed as well at the time. Prices we're anywhere from 10-20$ for that book back then

10 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Sooo many low feedback bids...certainly looks fishy.

Yep, but that 2nd highest bidder looks legit.  They probably didn't expect to lose. lol

When I "returned" to collecting Valiant in the late 1990s (having stopped when I went to college), I had an expectation that books like Rai #3 or Harbinger #1 would still be $30 or $40, since they were $75 or $100 and I knew the market crashed.  I was legitimately surprised to find them selling for $5 and $8.  So I bought... a few.   If I had not returned to Valiant until 2018, I might have expected books like Rai to be at least what they were in 1993, if not higher... and unfortunately (for the hypothetical me), I probably would overpay when I got back to buying them.  I'd learn quickly, though... so if this sale of Rai books was legit, it was probably a one-time-event for that buyer... and it will take another buyer with a similar (mistaken) mindset to repeat those prices. :grin:

Just now, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Those are spring/summer of 1993 prices, if even that. Even at "full Wizard", those books never reached $290 in 1992. The total for all 8 books that existed by the April, 1993 Wizard was only $216.

Okay, so those prices adjusted for inflation.

Really? You're going to make me dig up the February, 1993 Wizard (#18), which was published in Dec of 92, to quote those (lower) prices...?

lol

The takeaway is that that seller's listings look like they were either all shilled, or the (3) and (7) bidders really wanted the books. With the FB score of the seller (also 3), I'm leaning towards the former. We'll see if they show up for sale again.

If they ARE real, those are some mighty impressive sales results.

Bloodshot movie's being filmed in South Africa, so who knows?

53 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Really? You're going to make me dig up the February, 1993 Wizard (#18), which was published in Dec of 92, to quote those (lower) prices...?

lol

The takeaway is that that seller's listings look like they were either all shilled, or the (3) and (7) bidders really wanted the books. With the FB score of the seller (also 3), I'm leaning towards the former. We'll see if they show up for sale again.

If they ARE real, those are some mighty impressive sales results.

Bloodshot movie's being filmed in South Africa, so who knows?

I'm not going to make you do anything. I didn't bother checking what the high point for Valiant books in the '90s was, because it doesn't matter. The point was that the result of that sale doesn't reflect the current market, but was much more reflective of what Rai was going for at some point in the early '90s. If you adjust those prices for inflation, maybe you come to the sale price. But that price isn't reflective of what people are actually paying for these books, ungraded.

*If* a number of things happen (most importantly, a successful movie that gets more people buying Valiant Comics) then maybe they'll reach this price. But we're not there yet

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"Full Wizard Valiant" prices bought me a lot of comic books in 1992.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

"Full Wizard Valiant" prices bought me a lot of comic books in 1992.

Not in '92 they didn't. :D

Come on, now, 1992 was Valiant's breakout year. pre-Unity was still being published the first half of 1992. Things didn't get coo-coo bananas until Spring and Summer of 1993...and it was all over but the crying by Labor Day. 

Once that Turok #1 came out...BLAMMO! (Apr of 1993)

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not in '92 they didn't. :D

Come on, now, 1992 was Valiant's breakout year. pre-Unity was still being published the first half of 1992. Things didn't get coo-coo bananas until Spring and Summer of 1993...and it was all over but the crying by Labor Day. 

Once that Turok #1 came out...BLAMMO! (Apr of 1993)

Summer of 1992. Hottest books in the world were Magnus 1 and 12 and Harbinger 1. That summer those three books (along with the "rare" Rai books) were free money. Oh and I forgot! Magnus 0 with card. The ultimate free money book.

Edited by FlyingDonut

9 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Summer of 1992. Hottest books in the world were Magnus 1 and 12 and Harbinger 1. That summer those three books (along with the "rare" Rai books) were free money

Your memory doth deceive you. ;)

The "rare" Rai books weren't broken out until the end of 1992, beginning of 1993.

Go check out a Wizard #12, 13, or 14....came out June, July, August...and tell me what the prices are. :D

Summer of 1992 Unity was coming out, and Valiant was just starting to show the signs of hysteria that would engulf it in the fall.

13 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Oh and I forgot! Magnus 0 with card.

One of your favorite stories...which I love...was that on Memorial Day, 1993, you had a stack of Magnus #0s, and you couldn't keep them around...and by Labor Day, you couldn't give them away. Summer of 1992 was just a bit early for the madness.