• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, the blob said:
On 9/17/2018 at 4:37 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

So Marvel Tails #1 is a $500 book now?!?!?!?!

Marvel Tails 1 cgc

If 212 can be $430, why not? https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-Amazing-Spiderman-212-White-Pages-1st-Hydro-Man-Appear-New-Movie-spec/292720437318?hash=item44277f6846:g:g5UAAOSwq2JblaLi

:flipbait: 

Technically BA, but who gives a rip at that price!

Edited by divad

On 9/17/2018 at 7:37 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

So Marvel Tails #1 is a $500 book now?!?!?!?!

Marvel Tails 1 cgc

I guess I gotta dig our my OO Canadian priced copy I have laying around in one of my boxes...

Edit:  found a pic and took a pic of the pic!  Can't be many of these left in existence.

HAM.jpeg

Edited by davidpg

1 hour ago, davidpg said:

I guess I gotta dig our my OO Canadian priced copy I have laying around in one of my boxes...

Edit:  found a pic and took a pic of the pic!  Can't be many of these left in existence.

Last two sold for $25 and $30. Lower than I would have expected.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is complete and utter insanity.

Why? 35 year old book. First appearance of a character beloved by people in the demographic that are spending money. Rampant movie speculation. Book with an (assumed) low number of high grade copies floating around. Marketplace that is spiking literally every first appearance of any character - Avengers 346? Hulk 418? Captain Marvel 50? - even the most obscure ones you can think of on a whiff of any media. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a graded one, but I think its actually not a terrible short term play.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

Why? 35 year old book. First appearance of a character beloved by people in the demographic that are spending money. Rampant movie speculation. Book with an (assumed) low number of high grade copies floating around. Marketplace that is spiking literally every first appearance of any character - Avengers 346? Hulk 418? Captain Marvel 50? - even the most obscure ones you can think of on a whiff of any media. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a graded one, but I think its actually not a terrible short term play.

Mainly because, of all the Spider-Ham books ever made, this one is by far the most common, and the most common in high grade. I'm going to grab my copies when I run across them and get them graded and sold, because $500 is absurd.

That's about where a 9.8 ASM #238 was up until a very short time ago.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Mainly because, of all the Spider-Ham books ever made, this one is by far the most common, and the most common in high grade. I'm going to grab my copies when I run across them and get them graded and sold, because $500 is absurd.

But the marketplace only pushes (1) first appearances and (2) media plays. No Hobgoblin media play, therefore no spiking. You, of all people, should understand that there's no absurdity in a marketplace - it is what it is. If you think this price is too high, you should absolutely grade and flip them, because you will make money at the top. I don't know how much room there is for growth on graded books - especially at the 9.8 level - but on raw copies? Move them out.

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:
3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

But the marketplace only pushes (1) first appearances and (2) media plays. No Hobgoblin media play, therefore no spiking. You, of all people, should understand that there's no absurdity in a marketplace - it is what it is. If you think this price is too high, you should absolutely grade and flip them, because you will make money at the top. I don't know how much room there is for growth on graded books - especially at the 9.8 level - but on raw copies? Move them out.

The point was a comparison. Hobby is a classic Spidey villain, and has been, to varying degrees of importance, part of Spiderman's story for 35 years now. Spider-ham is most decidedly not.

My point is that those prices, like sooooooo many that have come before it, aren't real. They're not real because they're fueled by people who have a "fear of missing out" (FOMO), and who don't know, understand, or appreciate the market. So, they foolishly pay far more than is justified by the qualities of the character, or the actual scarcity of the book, and absurd prices are born. 

It's just as absurd as paying $30k for a 9.6 copy of Green Lantern #76. If there was something, anything, justifying the premium, I'd be right there with you.

But there's not. There's just speculators, speculating, afraid of missing out. 

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hobby is a classic Spidey villain, and has been, to varying degrees of importance, part of Spiderman's story for 35 years now

Yes, but nobody cares. He's not in a movie.

Spider-ham is most decidedly not.

Spider-Ham is in a movie. That's all that is driving the price.

My point is that those prices, like sooooooo many that have come before it, aren't real. They're not real because they're fueled by people who have a "fear of missing out" (FOMO), and who don't know, understand, or appreciate the market.

The market is what the market is. Look at the spread between "high grade" raw copies and CGC 9.8 copies of this book. Its actually lower than I would expect if there's label chasers only speculating.

So, they foolishly pay far more than is justified by the qualities of the character, or the actual scarcity of the book

Not to be a , but "what I collect rules, what you collect drools???? I'd expect more from you. (thumbsu "The qualities of the character?" Come on now.

It's just as absurd as paying $30k for a 9.6 copy of Green Lantern #76. If there was something, anything, justifying the premium, I'd be right there with you.

Again, the spread isn't that great. Is it speculator driven? Of course it is. That's what all the market is right now

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hobby is a classic Spidey villain, and has been, to varying degrees of importance, part of Spiderman's story for 35 years now

Yes, but nobody cares. He's not in a movie.

Not my point, and not in dispute. Hobgoblin is, and has been, far more important a comics character than "Spider-ham", movie or no.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Spider-ham is most decidedly not.

Spider-Ham is in a movie. That's all that is driving the price.

Yes, and that is absurd. "He's in a movie!!" does not justify $500 for a 9.8. There's nothing substantive about this character, nor scarcity in high grade, that would justify $500 for a 9.8.

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So, they foolishly pay far more than is justified by the qualities of the character, or the actual scarcity of the book

Not to be a , but "what I collect rules, what you collect drools???? I'd expect more from you. (thumbsu 

That's not what I said at all. 

Name the most significant event in Spider-ham's history.

Right...there aren't any. The character is a funny animal, parody character. Name a funny animal or parody character from the last 60 years that has seen this kind of attention. Sonic? Maybe. Sonic isn't a parody, but you could call him "funny animal", and he at least has video games and cartoons to back him up. TMNT? TMNT quickly grew beyond its parody introduction into its own mythos. Cerebus? Same thing. 

What has Spider-ham got...? A couple dozen comics from the 80s, and the occasional one-shot beyond that? Occasional appearances in cartoons of other characters? 

This is not disparagement of the character or the genre. It's a wonderful genre, and has delighted people for decades. It's an acknowledgement that funny animal and parody characters have seldom been sought after, the way their super-hero, fantasy, and horror/suspense counterparts have been.

Spider-ham never moved beyond its silly, parody roots to become a TMNT or a Cerebus, or even a Sonic.

16 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
24 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Again, the spread isn't that great. Is it speculator driven? Of course it is. That's what all the market is right now

When and if Spider-ham can be developed into a character the likes of Cerebus or Sonic, or become a cross-platform success like Groot or Mickey Mouse or Scooby Doo...then I can see justification for these prices. Until then, however...

Are we actually arguing about if the market is stupid right now?  This market is incredibly stupid but being in a stupid market is not new.  Was the Black and White craze stupid?  Yep.  Was the 90s explosion of drek books being horded stupid?  Yep.  The current feeding frenzy on 1st appearance is just the new version of stupid.  But as long as you make money along the way who really cares.

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

of these characters I always felt Goose Rider was the better written character and with more potential. I specked on the wrong animal (again) :cry:

I would think Goose Rider would be extremely short lived. Once he transforms, his goose is cooked. dinner time!

Edited by Jerkfro

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Are we actually arguing about if the market is stupid right now?  This market is incredibly stupid but being in a stupid market is not new.  Was the Black and White craze stupid?  Yep.  Was the 90s explosion of drek books being horded stupid?  Yep.  The current feeding frenzy on 1st appearance is just the new version of stupid.  But as long as you make money along the way who really cares.

Well, the market is what the market is. The motivations behind these ever-increasing prices may be short sighted and ultimately ruinous, but the books are worth what people are willing to (quite probably eventually revealed to be stupidly) pay.