• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,775 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Are we actually arguing about if the market is stupid right now?  This market is incredibly stupid but being in a stupid market is not new.  Was the Black and White craze stupid?  Yep.  Was the 90s explosion of drek books being horded stupid?  Yep.  The current feeding frenzy on 1st appearance is just the new version of stupid.  But as long as you make money along the way who really cares.

The answer to who cares is "the people who want a stable, long term healthy market." These crazy spikes, fueled by nothing more than people who are afraid, is not healthy.

So, yes, I can make $500 on a book right now. And I have. It's hard to argue with people demanding you to take their money, and the market doesn't care one whit about my needs (nor should it.)  

But...when people get stuck "over"paying, it tends to drive those people out of the market, leading to a less stable market.

"Serves them right!" - granted. No argument on that point. But...you never know how people are affected, and that person who started out as a speculator may develop an appreciation for the artform, given the chance.

Granted, this is all hypothetical, but I think it's been fairly well demonstrated that chaotic markets don't tend to produce long term positive effects.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The answer to who cares is "the people who want a stable, long term healthy market." These crazy spikes, fueled by nothing more than people who are afraid, is not healthy.

So, yes, I can make $500 on a book right now. And I have. It's hard to argue with people demanding you to take their money, and the market doesn't care one whit about my needs (nor should it.)  

But...when people get stuck "over"paying, it tends to drive those people out of the market, leading to a less stable market.

"Serves them right!" - granted. No argument on that point. But...you never know how people are affected, and that person who started out as a speculator may develop an appreciation for the artform, given the chance.

Granted, this is all hypothetical, but I think it's been fairly well demonstrated that chaotic markets don't tend to produce long term positive effects.

You're posting in a thread titled with "heating up". Maybe I missed the part where it asked for commentary on the state of comics today. I think most that post understand the volatility of the market for the past 5+ years.

:preach:

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree here. It's fairly well-known that spec-fueled markets tend to be less-healthy and stable, and can make corrections harsher and leave the industry net-net less healthy than otherwise would have been (post crash) than otherwise would have been. That being said, market is so big, hard for any one (or group) of individuals to effect it (or slow it) in any reasonable way. The only ones who can do this are regulatory bodies (a la housing spec boom / crashes, etc.), and slow the boom so it's a softer-landing - but this of course doesn't exist in comics. 

Other point I think is helpful to point out, is that it's easy to equate a few high sales as the "new market price". Same reason why many equate GPA as "gospel" when it comes to market price. But individual comic sales are way less liquid than most markets. The stock market is the best parallel - when millions of shares trade hands daily, it's more clear that's the "market price" as hundreds/thousands of buyers and sellers have made that determination every day. In comic sales, where in a given grade, there are anywhere from 1 - 100 trades per year (and 90-day frequently is made up of <10 transactions), it's much less indicative of the "new market price". There may easily be 1 or 2 buyers who (for whatever reason, sentimental, "FOMO" as you've mentioned, has money to burn and doesn't care about overpaying, etc.) pay above what "fair market price" is. Just because there are 1 or 2 out there in the world, does not make that the "new market price".

15 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You're posting in a thread titled with "heating up". Maybe I missed the part where it asked for commentary on the state of comics today. I think most that post understand the volatility of the market for the past 5+ years.

:preach:

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm sure you respect the privilege of every member to post what they will, where they will, without criticism on that point, within the rules of this forum.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
7 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

I'd like to say I missed the part where you're a d-bag, but it's right there above. He's free to say what he wants, as are you.

Keyboard gangster I see.

Why aren't comments moderated to the actual topic of the thread?

Because human beings aren't robots.

There are mechanisms in place to prevent you from seeing posts you don't wish to see.

I recommend you use them, if "(hardly) off-topic posting" is going to upset you. Your choice, of course.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There are mechanisms in place to prevent you from seeing posts you don't wish to see.

I recommend you use them, if "(hardly) off-topic posting" is going to upset you. Your choice, of course.

Just a simple self check of "before I post this, does it add anything to the subject of the thread?" seems like too much to ask.

Just now, ygogolak said:
4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Just a simple self check of "before I post this, does it add anything to the subject of the thread?" seems like too much to ask.

Yes, it is, because, again, human being aren't robots. What you consider "adding", others may not, and vice versa. The best way to handle it, then, is to let people be free to post whatever they want, however they want, within the context of the rules, while you do the same. If someone's posts bother you, you have control over what you see, so there is no reason to complain about what others post. The only unfortunate part is that, despite requests stretching back a decade, there is still no "complete ignore", so people can choose to not have their posts visible to those they don't wish to see them.

It will make life for everybody here much, much easier. I realize this is difficult for some people to accept...no snark, here...but more freedom, not less, makes life much better.

None of the comments about the state of the market are off topic.  Comics that are heating up do not heat up in a vacuum.  Lest this thread become nothing more than a stupid list of books with up-trending sales prices and no meaningful discussion of the whys and wherefores, sales context and the market as a whole are all on topic discussions.

But I think everyone already knew that.  

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

None of the comments about the state of the market are off topic.  Comics that are heating up do not heat up in a vacuum.  Lest this thread become nothing more than a stupid list of books with up-trending sales prices and no meaningful discussion of the whys and wherefores, sales context and the market as a whole are all on topic discussions.

But I think everyone already knew that.  

And that's exactly what I said.

6 hours ago, mysterio said:
9 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Are we actually arguing about if the market is stupid right now?  This market is incredibly stupid but being in a stupid market is not new.  Was the Black and White craze stupid?  Yep.  Was the 90s explosion of drek books being horded stupid?  Yep.  The current feeding frenzy on 1st appearance is just the new version of stupid.  But as long as you make money along the way who really cares.

Well, the market is what the market is. The motivations behind these ever-increasing prices may be short sighted and ultimately ruinous, but the books are worth what people are willing to (quite probably eventually revealed to be stupidly) pay.

Stoopid is as stoopid does. :grin:

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm sure you respect the privilege of every member to post what they will, where they will, without criticism on that point, within the rules of this forum.

First, I would like to apologize to RMA.  I had no idea that you were going through such a hard time in your life. Please accept my apology with the support I can only give to you through posting here.  If you need some help, please reach out to the community. We (the community as a whole) often get into nasty little squabbles trying to further our interest in the 36-page booklets we call comic books, and lose sight of what brings us all together here in this forum. But overall we do appreciate and respect everyone here who joins in our mutual pursuits. Wishing you the best in your present difficulties, sincerely,

d

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:
2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I'd like to say I missed the part where you're a d-bag, but it's right there above. He's free to say what he wants, as are you.

Keyboard gangster I see.

Why aren't comments moderated to the actual topic of the thread?

Oh come now. I've seen plenty of evidence of your :censored: posting style at various times since you've been here. If you don't like what I said, hit the button and let moderation sort it out. I'm cool with it.  

I have a thought that I'd like to share but I'm not sure it adds to the substance of the thread. Is there a thread substance control board I can submit the post to to see if it's up to snuff? I want to do what's right.