• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,771 posts in this topic

DC reprinted a few books in the late 80s to sell as 2 and 3 packs at places like KMart and Walmart. 

Mostly it was Batman and SUperman, but there are some Wonder Woman and Justice League reprints, as well.

This continued into the 90s, sporadically, until DC launched their new "20 pack" bundle program in 1992 and their "boxed collector pack" program in late 1993-ish. 

Here's an example:

s-l1600.jpg

Just now, WhatMeWorry said:

Aren't "Prints" different than reprints? I never called a 2nd or third print a reprint.

why not? what stopped you from doing so? (I myself assume the terms are somewhat interchangeable, obviously with one more specific than the other). Typing now it occurs to me that perhaps terms SHOULD differentiate between a later printing with the same cover vs a later printing with a new/different cover. Assuming there isn't a distinction that I am unaware of.

But if a 2nd print or later print gets made, wouldn't that be considered part of the run for that issue #?

So RMA, are you calling the specialty packs made for them retail stores "reprints" but something like Teen Titans 12 (1st BwL) 2nd print not or would you lump them all together as reprints? Not trying to stir anything, just wanting clarification on what the hobby would call it. 

Edited by WhatMeWorry

"reprint", as used in the comic industry, is just a catch-all term to describe any reproduction....or reprinting...of a previously published work, regardless of format.

"2nd print", "3rd print", etc, generally...not always, but usually...means a specific reprinting in the same format.

So, while all 2nd printings are reprints, not all reprints are 2nd printings, etc.

In other words...in Marvel Tales #1 (1964), you find a reprint of Journey Into Mystery #83. But it is NOT a "2nd printing", because it's not in the same format as the original.

Whereas, even with different covers, a 2nd printing of Batman #608 is properly called a 2nd printing because it's in the same format...a single issue comic...rather than the more generic reprint, even though it is both.

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"reprint", as used in the comic industry, is just a catch-all term to describe any reproduction....or reprinting...of a previously published work, regardless of format.

"2nd print", "3rd print", etc, generally...not always, but usually...means a specific reprinting in the same format.

So, while all 2nd printings are reprints, not all reprints are 2nd printings, etc.

In other words...in Marvel Tales #1 (1964), you find a reprint of Journey Into Mystery #83. But it is NOT a "2nd printing", because it's not in the same format as the original.

Whereas, even with different covers, a 2nd printing of Batman #608 is properly called a 2nd printing because it's in the same format...a single issue comic...rather than the more generic reprint, even though it is both.

This is approximately correct . . . :grin:

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree with RMA. Where do I pick up my Scooby Snack?

On 9/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is both accurate and professionally stated. 

I am assuming your account has been hacked and am notifying the authorities. 

I keed!

On 9/25/2018 at 8:53 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Like so many other things in this hobby, there are probably books that fall into a little bit of a gray area with this. For example, the reprints of Action Comics in the late '80s are pretty clearly reprints, as it onyl reprinted the Superman story. I'd say the same of the Marvel Milestone series, especially since the price was a lot more. The Chromium Amazing Spider-man 300? Probably a reprint, since a pretty significant time had passed, and the production of the cover was different. But what about New Mutants 87? Cover price is different (because about a year had passed between first and second print) and an additional gold ink was used. But it still feels like a second print. But then those differences also occur on the Amazing Spider-man 101 & 265 books from around the same time, but they feel more like reprints than second prints.

I think this is one of those areas where collecting is more of an art form than a science.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:16 AM, Fiddy said:

I noticed there were quite a few sales of Warrior Nun Areala #1 and Ninja High School #38 the last couple days.  Was there some announcement about this book or character recently?  Most of the books were under $10, but still unusual to see so much activity in the last couple days. 

Is WARRIOR NUN considered a copper age book? It came out in 1994. Might come under the wire depending on your cut off point.

13 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Is WARRIOR NUN considered a copper age book? It came out in 1994. Might come under the wire depending on your cut off point.

We probably should adopt an "over 20 years old" rule for this Copper Age category, or at least a "Copper Age and up to 1999 Comics" mindset.  There's so much focus on books 2010 to present in the Modern Age section that any books with two decades of history belong elsewhere.  Copper Age has basically become "more recent than Bronze but still old enough to vote".  

Edited by valiantman

34 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Is WARRIOR NUN considered a copper age book? It came out in 1994. Might come under the wire.

Has the flavor of Copper Age with some Liefeld-esque action layouts and storylines like Warrior Nun Areala uses her virgin kick :cry: against Sister Stilletto. In the shadows lurk the cosmic Hitler (from volume 2 mini).

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

We probably should adopt an "over 20 years old" rule for this Copper Age category, or at least a "Copper Age and up to 1999 Comics" mindset.  There's so much focus on books 2010 to present in the Modern Age section that any books with two decades of history belong elsewhere.  Copper Age has basically become "more recent than Bronze but still old enough to vote".  

This probably has something to do with it:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/warrior-nun/276605/warrior-nun-adaptation-coming-to-netflix

I was wondering why all of a sudden my Warrior Nun lot got scooped up on E-bay...

4 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Warrior Nun came out towards to beginning of Modern Age, but Ninja High School #38 came out in 1993 so you're right it's probably more of a Modern Age book.