• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,807 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

"Blowout" pricing sounds like a dollar or $2 box, particularly back in 98-2001 when you still had 25 and 50 cent boxes at shows! (Criminey, Vinnie Zarzulo (pre Metropolis) had a 10 cent table at one show. A real dealer wouldn't have had a 340 up, maybe in a 9.8 slab, but amateurs doing the occasional show who had ho hum books might. Don't be so F-ing defensive. I know being a lawyer gives one thin skin, but with all that red fur...

I'm not being defensive. I'm just going to require you to actually read what i post, just as I read what you post - it's important to respond to what is actually being said, not what you wish it said.  It's also helpful for n00bs and youngsters who weren't around to understand that some of these books have been hot and cold 2 or even 3 times since publication - and not constant wall books. 

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I'm not being defensive. I'm just going to require you to actually read what i post, just as I read what you post - it's important to respond to what is actually being said, not what you wish it said.  It's also helpful for n00bs and youngsters who weren't around to understand that some of these books have been hot and cold 2 or even 3 times since publication - and not constant wall books. 

OK: "After being a hot book in the 90s, in the 1998 - 2002 period, when interest in McFarlane had cooled considerably, this wasn't really a bottom of the corner of the wall book even for a small time dealer. Indeed, it was selling for much less than it had previously been. It did, however, pick up again afterward." 

Edited by the blob

On 10/22/2018 at 12:27 PM, spreads said:

Hulk 340 is already an expensive book, locally at the shows it's priced anywhere from $50-100+ for raws...

Here’s a good story: I was at I think the Carbo show in NYC a few years ago and these two dudes pulled a Hulk 340 out of a dealer’s box and one of them goes “Wow!  That’s the first appearance of Wolverine!”

This book is famous for collectors of a certain age and I pray by my bedside each night that they’ll all grow out of it.

Edited by Heronext

4 hours ago, Heronext said:

Here’s a good story: I was at I think the Carbo show in NYC a few years ago and these two dudes pulled a Hulk 340 out of a dealer’s box and one of them goes “Wow!  That’s the first appearance of Wolverine!”

This book is famous for collectors of a certain age and I pray by my bedside each night that they’ll all grow out of it.

lol

6 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

I picked up multiple McSpidey's from 300-316 for a dollar a pop in the mid 90's from Comic Book Heaven in Sunnyside, Queens NY. :cloud9: 

300 never really hit those heights of despair. That was a massive F-up by the store. If that wasn't a $10-15 book then, what was? That wasn't the one where the owner got arrested  and the shop closed overnight, was it?

9 hours ago, the blob said:

300 never really hit those heights of despair. That was a massive F-up by the store. If that wasn't a $10-15 book then, what was? That wasn't the one where the owner got arrested  and the shop closed overnight, was it?

Nope, that was Jerry (the store owner) being Jerry. He was very closed minded about a lot of things. His attitude was, I rather blow out books than have them around collecting dust. I remember also picking up a nice run of HG New Mutants, including #98 pretty cheap. 

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

Nope, that was Jerry (the store owner) being Jerry. He was very closed minded about a lot of things. His attitude was, I rather blow out books than have them around collecting dust. I remember also picking up a nice run of HG New Mutants, including #98 pretty cheap. 

When? Nobody cared about NM #98 from 1994-2008ish. 

46 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think 98 started climbing before 2008, but as like as a $10 book. I remember discussions on the ebay boards and I was off of them by 2005/6. Or maybe it was just slabbed 9.8, but I definitely remember it going on my radar.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:35 PM, spreads said:

?

Where did I ever say I disagreed with that price, I'm saying it's not a cheap book, and hasn't been a cheap book.....Batman 423 (at this same type of venue) is nowhere near the same price point as hulk 340.  I've passed on many in collections for $5 or less not that long ago...

*additional note, Hulk 340 has been a wall book for a lot of dealers for awhile, Batman 423 might be up on a wall depending on what they have - I don't put it on my mine, but that's just me.

Just a comment in regards to what should and should not be a wall book.

I put whatever I think is likely to sell quickly on my wall. I could sell 15 $25 books before I sell 1 $375 book. Depends upon the audience.

41 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Just a comment in regards to what should and should not be a wall book.

I put whatever I think is likely to sell quickly on my wall. I could sell 15 $25 books before I sell 1 $375 book. Depends upon the audience.

At this moment 9.8s of 423 are selling for more than 340s. Go figure.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wasn't picking up NM #98 specifically. It was part of the NM 86-100 run that I would always pick up. Thanks to Wizard magazine I was a big "Fanboy" of anything McFarlane/Liefeld. Not to mention all the early Image that I bought because of them. :facepalm:

8 hours ago, the blob said:

I think 98 started climbing before 2008, but as like as a $10 book. I remember discussions on the ebay boards and I was off of them by 2005/6. Or maybe it was just slabbed 9.8, but I definitely remember it going on my radar.

The thing that set NM #98 apart was the 2008 series by Daniel Way...Deadpool hasn't really been out of print since 1997, with a couple of months here and there, but during the early 2000s, he couldnt carry his own title. But the 2008 series, combined with the release of Iron Man and the surge of interest in all things Marvel, combined with the new tactic of finding the next hot first appearance, no matter how obscure, and that's when NM #98 began its climb to the top. 

Before then, you could buy runs of Liefeld NM on eBay for $10-15 complete, or entire sets of NM #1-100 for $40-$50.

48 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The thing that set NM #98 apart was the 2008 series by Daniel Way...Deadpool hasn't really been out of print since 1997, with a couple of months here and there, but during the early 2000s, he couldnt carry his own title. But the 2008 series, combined with the release of Iron Man and the surge of interest in all things Marvel, combined with the new tactic of finding the next hot first appearance, no matter how obscure, and that's when NM #98 began its climb to the top. 

Before then, you could buy runs of Liefeld NM on eBay for $10-15 complete, or entire sets of NM #1-100 for $40-$50.

Maybe it was slab sales and some folks posting a "can you believe??". I am looking at OPG 35, which is 2004 sales data and on p. 128 they do highlights of CGC sales... New Mutants 98  --9.8 -- $175, NM 87 -- $228. Admittedly the CGC 9.8 market in 2004 was figuring itself out...but , but it does seem like 98 had some significance then, even if not busted out as higher in the guide that year.