• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2018 at 12:39 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

With a couple exceptions, it's normal for a 1st appearance to slow down after the movie. If it's a villain, they usually stay down for good. I think this book will wax and wane but basically stay strong. I've noticed that the marketplace in general seems to slow down at this time of the year.

Yep, books tend downwards this time of year. Good time to stock up as a reseller.

22 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

For the most part this is has been my buying policy for at least a decade. I buy in fall and winter and sell in Spring and summer. There are some overlaps but better deals are had in the winter on average.

During the summer? I figured that would be deader with folks budgeting for vacations and a lot of comic shows. But I guess with "summer blockbusters" there is movie hype pushing stuff too.

Just now, the blob said:

During the summer? I figured that would be deader with folks budgeting for vacations and a lot of comic shows. But I guess with "summer blockbusters" there is movie hype pushing stuff too.

It's also con season, so I guess the buying/selling is much more competitive as big time dealers are restocking throughout the con season. That's just one of many reasons I'm sure.

24 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

It's also con season, so I guess the buying/selling is much more competitive as big time dealers are restocking throughout the con season. That's just one of many reasons I'm sure.

I suppose for better stuff, but for the average collector they are trying to budget for cons too and there may be less money for ebay. plus they sell stuff to raise $, and all that hitting the market may depress prices. I sell stuff to pay for summer vacations too. funny though, in my neck  of the woods it is not Con season. our two biggest shows at October and December, although there is one in the Spring too usually.

But I guess you are right in a sense, a few years ago I was selling a lot here, keys, minor keys, hot books, right around when Guardians of the Galaxy was coming out and all that stuff was hot, and I did a bunch of big group sales to dealers on here stocking up on inventory for upcoming summer shows.

Edited by the blob

From my decade of experience selling books - September - November are the slowest time of year selling books.  December picks up a bit and then a lull between mid January and March when tax refunds prompt the summer surge.  Books sell very well from March until August.  Key books sell all thru the year but the number of books sold always seems to follow this pattern.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:34 PM, the blob said:

I suppose for better stuff, but for the average collector they are trying to budget for cons too and there may be less money for ebay. plus they sell stuff to raise $, and all that hitting the market may depress prices. I sell stuff to pay for summer vacations too. funny though, in my neck  of the woods it is not Con season. our two biggest shows at October and December, although there is one in the Spring too usually.

But I guess you are right in a sense, a few years ago I was selling a lot here, keys, minor keys, hot books, right around when Guardians of the Galaxy was coming out and all that stuff was hot, and I did a bunch of big group sales to dealers on here stocking up on inventory for upcoming summer shows.

Well, it's interesting to see that geographic differences persist even in this internet era. 

On 10/23/2018 at 11:04 AM, seanfingh said:

I didn't say dollar box, dude. I said discount bins - as opposed to wall books (which you were talking about).  Dollar boxes, 3 for $10, $5 boxes etc.  Many of the copies I bought still had the $25-100 tags still on them and they were unceremoniously dumped into DISCOUNT bins. Reading is fundamental.

:banana:Your perception of reality is fundamental as well.

Uncanny X-Men #164 shows a $700 sale on GPA.  Anyone know from where and if that's a direct or newsstand?  I was happy with the $425 hit last week.  $700 is stupid.

3 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Uncanny X-Men #164 shows a $700 sale on GPA.  Anyone know from where and if that's a direct or newsstand?  I was happy with the $425 hit last week.  $700 is stupid.

It was from ebay... direct edition :foryou: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-164-CGC-9-8-First-Appearance-Carol-Danvers-Captain-Marvel-As-Binary-NM-MT-/192694453620?hash=item2cdd7c0574%3Ag%3A7CsAAOSwoRtboWNi&nma=true&si=8ezL5zso0XZgmDAyLXLEIoI1CC0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

1982 direct edition vs. newsstand probably isn't a (valid) consideration. hm

lol probably not in this purchase ha. Probably just taking what they could get at the time....

And now there is a 9.8 priced at $395 from Canada on ebay, wonder how long that'll be available....it also is a direct edition...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

1982 direct edition vs. newsstand probably isn't a (valid) consideration. hm

There are a lot of buyers out there who just see "newsstand" and want it, even if it's not a "rare" newsstand edition. I've had people pay premiums for early-mid 1980's Marvel books just because they're newsstand...and I don't hype them up, I just list newsstand edition.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

There are a lot of buyers out there who just see "newsstand" and want it, even if it's not a "rare" newsstand edition. I've had people pay premiums for early-mid 1980's Marvel books just because they're newsstand...and I don't hype them up, I just list newsstand edition.

Agreed.  I was hoping my little elementary-level chart would go viral, but I guess it hasn't. lol

direct_newsstand.png

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I've basically been doing the same. Slowly ridding myself of years of accumulated drek, and started separating the newsstands from the directs just to create lots with mostly newsstands.