• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,721 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Time marches on. What seemed new and common back in the day seems more desirable now to many new collectors. However, too many comics were hoarded from the Bronze age and beyond for most to increase in value much. Outside of the keys and the truly rare, most are still readily available and cheap. Demand, rather than age, is the main driver in prices.

Damnable Economics 101!(thumbsu (:baiting:)

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Doom Patrol 19...for the first time in many, many years...is hot again.

I'm RICH!

Wow - $20 for that book is a windfall for people who have that book.  Demand seems to be holding steady for a week so maybe it has holding strength.

I'm given to bombast on occasion, but I can say that Doom Patrol #19-50 is one of the most underrated series of all time. #19-#22, "Crawling From The Wreckage" is absolutely stunning. I can read it today and enjoy it...not find it stilted or dated, as other stuff from the era. It's all delightfully weird, but cohesive. It is the equal of Sandman, and as good, if not better, than Animal Man #1-26, which is also an underrated classic.

"Beware the scissormen."

Of course, being the only 1st appearance in "the modern era" of a Doom Patrol character (Crazy Jane; I don't *really* consider Vic to be anything other than a Teen Titan), it's the easiest to obtain. MGA #80 is a tough book to find in general.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

42 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm given to bombast on occasion, but I can say that Doom Patrol #19-50 is one of the most underrated series of all time. #19-#22, "Crawling From The Wreckage" is absolutely stunning. I can read it today and enjoy it...not find it stilted or dated, as other stuff from the era. It's all delightfully weird, but cohesive. It is the equal of Sandman, and as good, if not better, than Animal Man #1-26, which is also an underrated classic.

"Beware the scissormen."

Of course, being the only 1st appearance in "the modern era" of a Doom Patrol character (Crazy Jane; I don't *really* consider Vic to be anything other than a Teen Titan), it's the easiest to obtain. MGA #80 is a tough book to find in general.

There are a bunch of first appearances in the run prior to Morrison taking over. Whether any of those characters show up in the show is a different question though.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

2 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There are a bunch of first appearances in the run prior to Morrison taking over. Whether any of those characters show up in the show is a different question though.

Yes, and there are several first appearances in the Morrison run, too (Flex Mentallo, for example)...currently, however, it's the only "modern era" 1st appearance of a Doom Patrol character in the tv show as of right now, which is the reason why DP #19 is "hot." In case I was unclear, I was referring to the tv show characters.

57 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

48 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, and there are several first appearances in the Morrison run, too (Flex Mentallo, for example)...currently, however, it's the only "modern era" 1st appearance of a Doom Patrol character in the tv show as of right now, which is the reason why DP #19 is "hot." In case I was unclear, I was referring to the tv show characters.

There have been a number of other Modern characters announced to be on the show.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Understood. Agreed as well on your opinion of the run. That was good stuff.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Understood. Agreed as well on your opinion of the run. That was good stuff.

Morrison's Doom Patrol was a shock to the system!

The series had been pretty typical superhero stuff & then all of a sudden: WHAM! Grant Morrison peyote trip!

Thankfully I'd read some of his Animal Man & 2000AD stuff prior & knew who he was.

Morrison's Doom Patrol run is still one of the most breathlessly imaginative series I've ever read. Idea after idea after idea. DP and Animal Man alone cemented his rep for me, Invisibles was pure gravy. I'm not saying that the man can do no wrong, but he's definitely earned a lot of slack from me for those titles alone.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Morrison's Doom Patrol run is still one of the most breathlessly imaginative series I've ever read. Idea after idea after idea. DP and Animal Man alone cemented his rep for me, Invisibles was pure gravy. I'm not saying that the man can do no wrong, but he's definitely earned a lot of slack from me for those titles alone.

His run on JLA in the late 90's is magnificent as well.

21 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There have been a number of other Modern characters announced to be on the show.

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Neat! Who?

There are a lot, even Cyborg. But from Doom Patrol Vol. 2 - Beard Hunter (#45), Danny Street (#35), Mr. Nobody (#26), and probably Flex Metallo. There was an audition tape for the character. I don't think it has been confirmed he is on the show.

21 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There are a lot, even Cyborg. But from Doom Patrol Vol. 2 - Beard Hunter (#45), Danny Street (#35), Mr. Nobody (#26), and probably Flex Metallo. There was an audition tape for the character. I don't think it has been confirmed he is on the show.

Sweet...I guess I need to dig out my Doom Patrol run and get it up on e-Bay!

3 hours ago, seanfingh said:
4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

His run on JLA in the late 90's is magnificent as well.

Maybe someday the market will swing that way . . . imagine that. hm

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I doubt there will be a Flex Mentallo character. My understanding is that DC faced legal action from Charles Atlas' estate over the character. I believe they agreed not to reprint the issues, and I suspect they agreed not to use or license the character again.  It will be VERY interesting to read about if they go ahead and cast Flex Mentallo!

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I doubt there will be a Flex Mentallo character. My understanding is that DC faced legal action from Charles Atlas' estate over the character. I believe they agreed not to reprint the issues, and I suspect they agreed not to use or license the character again.  It will be VERY interesting to read about if they go ahead and cast Flex Mentallo!

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/02/15/doom-patrol-audition-tapes-confirm-flex-mentallo-appearance/