• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,720 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is what you're looking for:

s-l1600.jpg

Although, to be honest, it seems buying the original issues would be cheaper.

And nicer, of course:

CAP350a.jpeg

24 minutes ago, divad said:
On 4/20/2019 at 9:22 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 4/20/2019 at 8:44 AM, 500Club said:

He’s right.  It’s a stretch.  I don’t expect customers at shows down the road to be clamoring for this book.  ‘The book where Cap first picks up Thor’s hammer’? - greater fool theory book.

Flip now.

It's revealing the gaping cracks in the "speculation" community when they grasp at the most tenuous of straws. Even if there was an entire movie based on Cap picking up Thor's hammer, and that movie inexplicably did $1.3 billion at the box office, I doubt this book would ever be more than a novelty. "Picking up Thor's hammer"...euphemisms aside...doesn't quite carry the panache, of, say, first time Jason Todd puts on the Robin costume, or first time Superman and Batman meet.

I dunno . . . I think calling it a "garbage book" is the only stretch here:

You've quoted the wrong people.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:00 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

You should. Cap #332-350 is Mark Gruenwald's finest run, ever, and one of the best runs in Cap history. You're missing out. 

337-19.jpg

I don't know....Mark Gruenwald's finest run is like saying Al Milgrom's greatest cover.  It may be so...but the bar is pretty low!

8 hours ago, cd4ever said:

I don't know....Mark Gruenwald's finest run is like saying Al Milgrom's greatest cover.  It may be so...but the bar is pretty low!

I sincerely disagree. Even his run on D.P. 7 (I'm 10 issues in) is good.

Gruenwald was strong on plotting and characterization. His exploration of morality (and what it meant to be a superhero) across many of his works intrigues me to this day. And he hit emotional highs and lows with surprising frequency.

Unfortunately the age of binge-reading hurts classics like Squadron Supreme, because what once was a strength (any issue is a jumping-on point!) has now become, to some readers, a weakness. ("Why is there so much recapping in every single issue?") It's too bad stylistic changes over the last three decades act as a barrier to fresh readers. 

Edited by Plantman

On 4/20/2019 at 9:44 AM, 500Club said:
On 4/19/2019 at 11:52 PM, divad said:
On 4/19/2019 at 5:53 PM, Red_Hood said:

This is really a stretch and a garbage book to boot.  If people buy this to speculate they are riding the short bus.

I certainly disagree with you, but hey? WTF do I know about comics??? :whistle:

He’s right.  It’s a stretch.  I don’t expect customers at shows down the road to be clamoring for this book.  ‘The book where Cap first picks up Thor’s hammer’? - greater fool theory book.

Flip now.

Reading comprehension 101, Dave. 

Red Hood makes two statements; the only one followed up upon was ‘it’s a stretch’.

You ought to consider yourself fortunate none of your critics took you up on your question. :devil:

7 hours ago, 500Club said:

Flip now.

Two insufficiently_thoughtful_persons are no greater than one. :grin:

13 hours ago, Plantman said:

I sincerely disagree. Even his run on D.P. 7 (I'm 10 issues in) is good.

Gruenwald was strong on plotting and characterization. His exploration of morality (and what it meant to be a superhero) across many of his works intrigues me to this day. And he hit emotional highs and lows with surprising frequency.

Unfortunately the age of binge-reading hurts classics like Squadron Supreme, because what once was a strength (any issue is a jumping-on point!) has now become, to some readers, a weakness. ("Why is there so much recapping in every single issue?") It's too bad stylistic changes over the last three decades act as a barrier to fresh readers. 

I think if Watchmen hadn't come along so soon after it, the Squadron Supreme maxi-series would widely be seen as a classic. A lot of what Moore did, Gruenwald did first.

9 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.  Paying big bucks for the 1st time someone picks up the hammer.  Sell quickly.

It just broke $100 for raw... in less than NM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THOR-390-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-LIFTS-THOR-039-S-HAMMER-NEAR-MINT-MARVEL-COMICS-/362628146418

Edited by jcjames

On 4/20/2019 at 12:08 AM, Lazyboy said:

The only reason Cap didn't lift Mjolnir in that AoU scene is because he realized it would freak out Thor. He clearly could have done it.

But I'm not sure what relevance that scene or the book have to Endgame, since Thor no longer has Mjolnir in the movies.

hm