• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,720 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, the blob said:

I am curious how newsstand ordering was done then. Did the distributor decide how many of each book (since they were the ones who would have to accept the return) would be delivered to a newsstand, or did the guy running the newsstand put in an order for __ copies of each title?

I started buying  off newsstands and the two stores I went to were clueless as to what was coming in.  There was a new comic coming out, and the ad said to ask your newsstand to order it. Not mine. I think distribution was based on prior sales.  If a place was selling X amount of comics per week, they'd get 2X, or some formula.

While Superman titles were losing sales, comics as a whole were losing their slots on the stand. Newsstands depend on volume and a.comic selling for 25-30 cents took up the same space as magazines selling for double or more. DC experimented with its line of giant 50 cent books and it's line of 100 pagers. Someone thought combining the various poor selling Superman related titles into one giant book would produce a decent selling one.  Their Dollar Comics line was pretty groundbreaking for its time. I bought Action, but not Superman or any of the other Superman books.  I bought about 90% of Marvels line,and 100% of the Atlas books, but was.much more selective with DC. Batman, Detective, Action and JLA, Legion and then their new stuff- Freedom Fighters, Justice,.Stalker and their like. Very occasional Charlton if I had extra money. DC at the time, had a lot of comedy books, as well as an extensive horror line, and a war line, with SciFi books as well. Superheroes didn't dominate like today.

47 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Machine Man #2 - 1st Iron Man 2020 - seems to be picking up interest.

Watch out for Machine Man 2020 #1 as well. This reprints Machine Man #1 and #2 of the limited series. I'm a sucker for reprints but don't know how many copies printed of each. Love that BWS cover

machine.jpg

Edited by WhatMeWorry

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Machine Man #2 - 1st Iron Man 2020 - seems to be picking up interest.

But wouldn't you really rather want to have this one??? :grin:

ASMA20a.jpeg

Edited by divad

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not if you want the first appearance.

Indeed, that's my whole point. This book has everything going for it, while the "1st app" is about as lame as "baby Nathan" . . . :grin: The market needs to adjust to reality. :sumo:

1 hour ago, divad said:

Indeed, that's my whole point. This book has everything going for it, while the "1st app" is about as lame as "baby Nathan" . . . :grin: The market needs to adjust to reality. :sumo:

As the cover specifically states "He's Back", it seems to suggest it's not his first appearance.