• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,780 posts in this topic

I guess I am in the minority, but I do not like Art Adams’ work at all. I did not care for it when I was a kid starting to buy/collect comics in the 80s and like it even less now.

Based on what I have seen as a seller the past two decades at shows, his style does not resonate with newer collectors either. It is only the odd middle aged collector every couple or three shows that will ask for his stuff. I have heard comments that his stuff looks like a bad knock off of McFarlane from young collectors digging in my $1-$2 bins who do not know better re: order or artists. lol   I have to agree with them in the end, though. 

I don't understand how anyone can confuse Art Adams who knows how to draw..and McFarlane who does not.

Unless it's all the line work? But even then you have line work placed by a hand that understands what he's doing vs superfluous lines that give the appearance of detail.

Not going to argue taste, as that's subjective.

(shrug)

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

When your output was one annual a year and maybe a few covers that stuff better be pretty.  Not enough work to consider him more than just a talented guy who could never really cement a real place among the greats in the business.  

He's certainly popular enough. There are a few other guys who're really popular who fit your criteria.

J Scott. Campbell and Adam Hughes come to mind.

11 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

When your output was one annual a year and maybe a few covers that stuff better be pretty.  Not enough work to consider him more than just a talented guy who could never really cement a real place among the greats in the business.  

:facepalm:

10 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I don't understand how anyone can confuse Art Adams who knows how to draw..and McFarlane who does not.

Unless it's all the line work? But even then you have line work placed by a hand that understands what he's doing vs superfluous lines that give the appearance of detail.

You got it.  Same went for Liefeld.

I confess, I loved McFarlane's art.  It was the dynamicism that made it great, though.  Adams was far better with the technicals.

29 minutes ago, 500Club said:

You got it.  Same went for Liefeld.

I confess, I loved McFarlane's art.  It was the dynamicism that made it great, though.  Adams was far better with the technicals.

I agree, McFarlane's art had a lot of energy. I recall John Byrne saying that when he first saw his art he commented on the energy on the page and said something along the lines of when he learns how to draw he'll become a force in the industry. Unfortunately he attained a level of popularity and he basically stayed the same.

You can't argue with his success though, he's had an amazing career.

McFarlane ended up be the more prolific artist/creator, which is why younger collectors think Art Adams copies his style. This probably meant that AAdams was too slow with turning things around for regular work on better titles. He is not the first artist to have those issues.

That being said, McFarlane’s artwork has held up better over the long haul than Art Adams. Adams’ work looks a bit childish compared to others IMHO.

38 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I agree, McFarlane's art had a lot of energy. I recall John Byrne saying that when he first saw his art he commented on the energy on the page and said something along the lines of when he learns how to draw he'll become a force in the industry. Unfortunately he attained a level of popularity and he basically stayed the same.

You can't argue with his success though, he's had an amazing career.

Yup Mcfarlane is a clever business man, made all the right moves and earned big on his gambles. 

Pity he never gave Art any credit for imitating his style. A lil disrespectful if youre asking me, but I guess my biased opinions are getting in the way with that assessment

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

McFarlane ended up be the more prolific artist/creator, which is why younger collectors think Art Adams copies his style. This probably meant that AAdams was too slow with turning things around for regular work on better titles. He is not the first artist to have those issues.

That being said, McFarlane’s artwork has held up better over the long haul than Art Adams. Adams’ work looks a bit childish compared to others IMHO.

Im not comparing the two. Im just stating historical facts; Adams created an army of imitators. One of them was McFarlane

Its not as if McFarlane was the ONLY one who copied Art's spaghetti web-slinging spidey, exaggerated grins, thin lined white-out muscle curves along silhouette figures and pretty much any and every texture Art championed with his style...

They ALL did that at the time.

Art was just slow because he insisted on drawing as close to perfect as he could using that style.

Others borrowed all of his tricks and ran to the green with it

Why does everyone insist on claiming McFarlane copied Adams’ etyle? McFarlane’s Infinity Inc for DC was out several months before Longshot 1 debuted. It was a cruder version of his final style, but you can still see it there. Based on that, it would be more reasonable to argue that Adams copied/was influenced by McFarlane instead.

Edited by kimik

45 minutes ago, kimik said:

Why does everyone insist on claiming McFarlane copied Adams’ etyle? McFarlane’s Infinity Inc for DC was out several months before Longshot 1 debuted. It was a cruder version of his final style, but you can still see it there. Based on that, it would be more reasonable to argue that Adams copied/was influenced by McFarlane instead.

Well if that's what you think than that's all that matters really (shrug)

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Im not comparing the two. Im just stating historical facts; Adams created an army of imitators. One of them was McFarlane

Its not as if McFarlane was the ONLY one who copied Art's spaghetti web-slinging spidey, exaggerated grins, thin lined white-out muscle curves along silhouette figures and pretty much any and every texture Art championed with his style...

They ALL did that at the time.

Art was just slow because he insisted on drawing as close to perfect as he could using that style.

Others borrowed all of his tricks and ran to the green with it

That's not why he's slow, ask anyone who's worked with him.

He's basically lazy.

15 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Well if that's what you think than that's all that matters really (shrug)

Adams copied McFarlane? hehe  I can honestly say that's the very first time I've ever heard that theory.

McFarlane owes a lot to Art Adams, Michael Golden and John Byrne and has admitted as much in different interviews I've read.

21 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

That's not why he's slow, ask anyone who's worked with him.

He's basically lazy.

Let's assume that he is. An Art Adams page takes much longer to assemble from layout to color than a McFarlane or Liefeld page. If the emphasis is on perfection it will always result in a slower technical process. And Art's attention to those fine details was much more evident in those early wonderful years

Edited by Aweandlorder

3 hours ago, kimik said:

They entered the industry simultaneously.  I don’t think there’s any way McFarlane influenced Adams.  I also think it was indeed Byrne and Perez who were McFarlane’s main influences in his developmental years.  Later, early in their careers, would have been the earliest Adams could have influenced McFarlane.

Edited by 500Club