• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

McFarlane's inkers on Infinity Inc were old school and there is no way of knowing how heavy handed they were, although I think they were pretty heavy handed. DeZuniga, Giordano and the like were not looking to do much beyond make it look like what had come before so I don't think you can use Infinity Inc to say much about Todd's style at the time. His page payouts in that book were awesome though, that and his work with capes was what set him apart in those days.

That said, I am a huge AA fan myself so don't take the above as a knock on Art and his art.

Agree with the posts here that AA was a big influence on the 90’s mega-Star artists.  I remember being in 8th grade and we were all talking about how awesome his art was.  But, the output was limited/slow.  Then, McFarlane arrives on Hulk and then ASM.  Every month, we were treated to his stuff.  Where was AA books?  Fast forward 2 years and McFarlane ASM is coming out bi-weekly.  So, we’re just lapping that up.  

I know we were all excited when it was announced he was doing the 3 issue FF book.  We’d been waiting and waiting for him to do something.  

His stuff holds up better than the rest of that era.  I read the ASM McFarlane run about a year ago.  I was still “amazed” by how cool his Spidey looked, but the rest of it wasn’t as great as I remembered (the big hair, high waists, cartoony look).  I still like Adams stuff though.  It’s very “busy”, but it’s a lot cleaner.  

I can't say if McFarlane was influenced by Adams or not, but I think you can draw a straight line for both of them back to Michael Golden, more than any other artist (and no matter what Todd says about Kirby, Buscema, and Kane.)

Speaking of McFarlane, did he start the whole putting his name in a parchment banner thingy on covers? It seems like everyone started doing it in the early 90’s but he was the first I remember noticing.

9E80B706-4F31-48CD-BB40-80A7FBD6ECAF.jpeg.cc0ba4dc8be0f4ef3430fabfcdc8d141.jpeg

4AB657C4-823E-4069-9B26-A51F32EC7C42.thumb.jpeg.c3b7f8b6f1da8ff65284550b21d942ba.jpeg

DD7D4FC9-05D9-4F59-8A3E-E5A273A146C2.jpeg.a116b44d94c63c495259852c5f72c653.jpeg

Also, what’s hot on ebay? 😊

On 8/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, F For Fake said:

I can't say if McFarlane was influenced by Adams or not, but I think you can draw a straight line for both of them back to Michael Golden, more than any other artist (and no matter what Todd says about Kirby, Buscema, and Kane.)

Why draw a straight line when you can draw a ton of tiny lines?

*eBay buyer alert*

Had a fella buy a nice copy of Marvel premier 1 warlock with no grade attached and pictures front, back, inside from all angles. 

Was a sharp copy with minimal spine ticks glossy no tears or chipping and never presses because I was owner for long time.

Buyer requested refund and submitted pictures of a 1inch spine split and bad damage to whole bottom 2 inches of book going threw the whole books pages. Literally almost ripped off the bottom staple.

This certainly looks intentional and he made a case saying I used “deceptive angles to hide this damage” I was livid!!

The book is trashed and worthless now and he opened case for me to loose money and keep destroyed book.

I stated no returns but would have anyway if the book was not defaced so badly. 

This buyer had selfish intent and it’s only  fair to share this.

I have many pics I can post of condition sent and his pics after destruction.

goes by doccollections

2714378F-EC11-4E99-A88F-2D7E98B7B3BB.png

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, shiverbones said:

Sorry, just not  seeing it as possible, I didn’t even pick the worst cover.

BE21584A-B773-458F-8F0C-94B419514F7C.png

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, 500Club said:

That’s early McFarlane.  There’s no AA influence in that.

When I first read this comment (admittedly totally out of context), I thought that meant that the artist was still a drunk at that time and hadn't gone to AA yet.

Ok last thing regarding AAdams. I just found this early early drawing of his (1982) this is obviously very loose and proportionately incorrect. But it clearly shows signs of the beginning of what would only 2 years later become the industry standard of comic book art. In sharp contrast with early McFarlane work, this has heavy detailed line work, diverse composition of texture work, coupled with good girl elements that would later become the key signs you'd identify his art with. 

IMG_6656.JPG

8 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Ok last thing regarding AAdams. I just found this early early drawing of his (1982) this is obviously very loose and proportionately incorrect. But it clearly shows signs of the beginning of what would only 2 years later become the industry standard of comic book art. In sharp contrast with early McFarlane work, this has heavy detailed line work, diverse composition of texture work, coupled with good girl elements that would later become the key signs you'd identify his art with. 

IMG_6656.JPG

This is great! Reminds me of Frazetta in both content and style.

Also, this image for comparison, may answer an earlier post about banner style signatures.

D0B4966C-CF12-4777-B658-E5A1740F936D.thumb.jpeg.4c590d298a78cea2841da5a53fe89964.jpeg