• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,769 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Thor 339 is one of the most important books of the copper age. It is a key of keys. $40 was a bargain. 338 is also a key, just not as key. 337, I can take it or leave it.

It is so key that I bought my copy out of a 50 cent box a few years ago 🙂

I’m glad the book is getting some attention.  It’s a cool book in a really cool run of books.  My hope is that a few people actually read it and grab all of the issues around it as well.  There was a reason the books were hot in the 80s.  It wasn’t because it was the first appearance of Stormbreaker, though. 🙂

3 hours ago, Hamlet said:

It is so key that I bought my copy out of a 50 cent box a few years ago 🙂

I’m glad the book is getting some attention.  It’s a cool book in a really cool run of books.  My hope is that a few people actually read it and grab all of the issues around it as well.  There was a reason the books were hot in the 80s.  It wasn’t because it was the first appearance of Stormbreaker, though. 🙂

It wasn't key then. It is key now. Very very very key. Just because you got a copy at 1% of FMV does not change that incontrovertible fact. It is the key to the whole MCU.

4 hours ago, Hamlet said:

They are welcome to spend $1000 for a ragged copy.  I’m not even remotely interested.

but that wasn't what I was responding to, which was your implication that people want it because it's the fashionable thing. Maybe they are afraid it will go higher? I unloaded my nm copy when it was worth $400-500 and traded it for a FF 5 and a stack of SA. Hindsight...

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

but that wasn't what I was responding to, which was your implication that people want it because it's the fashionable thing. Maybe they are afraid it will go higher? I unloaded my nm copy when it was worth $400-500 and traded it for a FF 5 and a stack of SA. Hindsight...

You haven’t done badly with the FF 5.  I’m pretty sure I would have made the same trade.  I think it will look better in 5 years.

I think there are now a lot of people buying IH 181 simply because they think it will continue going up.  I think there are more copies than normal in speculators’ hands because of that.  Looking at GPA, it looks like it has started to show some signs of peaking in most grades.  I can see this book getting hit pretty hard if the people holding it stop expecting it to increase in value.

19 minutes ago, Hamlet said:
1 hour ago, the blob said:

You haven’t done badly with the FF 5.  I’m pretty sure I would have made the same trade.  I think it will look better in 5 years.

I think there are now a lot of people buying IH 181 simply because they think it will continue going up.  I think there are more copies than normal in speculators’ hands because of that.  Looking at GPA, it looks like it has started to show some signs of peaking in most grades.  I can see this book getting hit pretty hard if the people holding it stop expecting it to increase in value.

Are all of these comments about Hulk #181 and Fantastic Four #5?  Because I thought this was the Copper Heating topic and I'm completely lost. :kidaround:

1 hour ago, Hamlet said:

The ff 5 was a vg- and I sold it in 2006.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Are all of these comments about Hulk #181 and Fantastic Four #5?  Because I thought this was the Copper Heating topic and I'm completely lost. :kidaround:

I bought some Byrne FF out of a 50 cent box this weekend.  That counts as heating up because I usually leave them there.

14 hours ago, the blob said:
15 hours ago, valiantman said:

Copper is from 1975-1989?

Even if it was (it isn't), neither Hulk #181 or Fantastic Four #5 is between 1975-1989. lol

One Copper that is starting to be asked for again after being ice cold for a year or two after the Gambit movie project died at Fox is UXM 266. It is not heating up yet, more like signs of the start of a thaw, but there is a bit of demand for it again. Now may be a time to lock in a copy or two due to the Disney deal since prices have pulled back 

30 minutes ago, kimik said:

One Copper that is starting to be asked for again after being ice cold for a year or two after the Gambit movie project died at Fox is UXM 266. It is not heating up yet, more like signs of the start of a thaw, but there is a bit of demand for it again. Now may be a time to lock in a copy or two due to the Disney deal since prices have pulled back 

Yah, I'm seeing more and more new collectors seeking it out on the other comic forums I frequent.  266, and that other annual he "first" appeared in.  

2 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Yah, I'm seeing more and more new collectors seeking it out on the other comic forums I frequent.  266, and that other annual he "first" appeared in.  

Am I sensing some "Annual Envy?" :bigsmile:

5 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Not sure if this is still the case, but price guides used to have designations of "First Appearance" and "Introduced" for characters, which were essentially interchangeable. Gambit may be the one of the few situations where this is not the case. Because UXM is clearly an introduction, even if it isn't the first *published* appearance of Gambit

Recent Coppers sales of note:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #347 May 1991 VF+ 8.5 W LARSEN Cover & Art CLASSIC VENOM