• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

We will agree to disagree and I am sorry you feel that way, lets move on and forget I even asked...Case Closed.

I think if you're focused mostly on copper, digging around this thread is probably your best bet.

But I don't think anyone is keeping (and publicly posting) an ongoing list.  There are also some speculation websites you could check out.

The tough part is that the time frame matters quite a bit.  There are many many books that have become hot and cold for various reasons in the past ten years that you might not be aware of.  Something that have been worth $1 ten years ago, $100 five years ago, and $30 now.  So it might be worth looking into for you and your purchases, but very few people who keep up with CURRENT comics would classify it as "hot".  To most people especially for copper/modern, 'hot' would imply more valuable now than maybe a few months or a year ago.  Something that plateaued or has gone down over a period of time would not be considered 'hot' anymore, but still might be QUITE valuable (or relatively more valuable than 15 years ago).

So as someone stated, it seems like you might have gotten better results if you tailored your question to something more like this:

"My son has a large collection of 80's/90's comics he might have interest in selling.  I know very little about copper comics, but I have identified some of the major keys, but I'm looking for some help identifying some of the comics that have become significantly more valuable over the past 15 or so years, that previously weren't considered keys, possibly something that would have been a dollar book in the year 2000 but now sell for $20 (or whatever value you like) or more in NM.  Most of the comics are Marvel or DC (or whatever)."

I think people (not every single person, but most) tried to give you good faith advice or ask good faith questions, but the ultimate result would be that someone (you or your son) would most likely have to put in a decent amount of time to the time and research in order to maximize returns, but there's too many unknowns from an internet stranger POV to give you specific advice.  With all the back and forth at this point over the various threads, you probably could have looked up completed sales on ebay for every single book by now if its just a few long boxes (I think I read somewhere it was 4-5? sorry if I'm wrong). 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

Spider-Man Unlimited 1

1993 I believe

On 10/16/2019 at 8:42 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

And why is that? Did something specific get announced with regard to Carnage today?

On 10/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

Yes. New villain announced last night so I gave a look this morning on sales. 

Found a few newsstand still cheap on Mercari and grabbed them.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:17 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

Lol yea a lot af people going to make out at that. 

I see newsstand going up to 40.00 and directs going for 20.00 or so...

9.8s are going to reach 300.00

just my prediction until people move on to the next thing.

There are 2000 + books in 16 short boxes and I did look to see what was key/hot right now.

I looked thoroughly through MCS's website at the prices that they listed for each book (excluding consignment books), took the books that looked to have increased in value or are higher than I would have expected and then checked all of those books against eBay sold auctions to see if those prices were accurate, so to say I want to be spoon fed or that I am lazy and expect others to do the legwork is entirely incorrect.

The fact is when the dealer came out he mentioned two other books we had that were "hot right now" due to movies that may/will be released in the future, I would have had no clue or even considered that What If 10 is hot and that is the issue/question, I am not exposed to the current market like a dealer so...

Since the majority of "current hot books" are all movie related I will Google which movies are or may be coming out, find out what characters are being portrayed and look to see if  he has the first appearances or the beginning of the said storyline.

Good work - you're definitely getting it. Why do you have WHAT IF 10 in the collection? Does it lean toward the BA? Generally a dealer is not going to tell you what you really have. I assume you posted it here because it's mostly CA.

Condition is really the key element here. Second is whether they are organized well enough to give an accurate assessment. Third is the presence of the obvious keys where they are supposed to be.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:44 AM, marvelmaniac said:

There are 2000 + books in 16 short boxes and I did look to see what was key/hot right now.

I looked thoroughly through MCS's website at the prices that they listed for each book (excluding consignment books), took the books that looked to have increased in value or are higher than I would have expected and then checked all of those books against eBay sold auctions to see if those prices were accurate, so to say I want to be spoon fed or that I am lazy and expect others to do the legwork is entirely incorrect.

The fact is when the dealer came out he mentioned two other books we had that were "hot right now" due to movies that may/will be released in the future, I would have had no clue or even considered that What If 10 is hot and that is the issue/question, I am not exposed to the current market like a dealer so...

Since the majority of "current hot books" are all movie related I will Google which movies are or may be coming out, find out what characters are being portrayed and look to see if  he has the first appearances or the beginning of the said storyline.

Sounds like an Easter egg hunt through IMDB, doesn’t sound efficient at all.  by the time you figure all that out the collection might be sold to a dealer, lol.
I don’t know how that’s better than combining: skimming briefly over the last 100 pages in the modern heating thread,  using the key collector app that someone suggested days ago, or by going on any of the other spec sites that have been suggested.  Even searching through atomic avenue with tell you what books of a series have value, they don’t necessarily need to be hot.

I’m going through a 10k comic collection as we speak; I’ve spent 90 minutes sorting through a few more longs tonight after I put my tenth month old daughter to sleep.
Really 2k comics shouldn’t take that long, especially since it’s fair to say these are already sorted.

Edited by spreads

10 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I'm glad Netflix got Sandman.  Netflix did a great job with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Punisher and Luke Cage....so so on Iron Fist.

Here’s hoping!!  I just received in the mail my second prints of #75!  Now do I care enough about #8 editorial to complete the run....?

On 10/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, divad said:

Condition is really the key element here. Second is whether they are organized well enough to give an accurate assessment. Third is the presence of the obvious keys where they are supposed to be.

These book are totally organized by title and number in 16 short boxes that are labeled with what is in there, all books have been in Mylites with Acid Free Boards, some for over 30 years.

A lot of these book were bought brand new by me and were a part of my collection for years before giving them to my Son when he got into collecting.

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

These book are totally organized by title and number in 16 short boxes that are labeled with what is in there, all books have been in Mylites with Acid Free Boards, some for over 30 years.

A lot of these book were bought brand new by me and were a part of my collection for years before giving them to my Son when he got into collecting.

You put quarter box drek into mylites? Thousands of mylites should factor into your pricing.

Anyway, if you want to know what they're worth look up every book via ebay completed auctions. Every single one! Trying to guess movie connections is nuts. If they are all so organized that is a 5 or 8 hour project. Figure 6 books a minute, 360 an hour, 8 hours = 2,880 books. Start at noon on a Sunday and do it while watching 3 NFL games. Easy peasy. Drink a lot of coffee.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

You put quarter box drek into mylites? Thousands of mylites should factor into your pricing.

Anyway, if you want to know what they're worth look up every book via ebay completed auctions. Every single one! Trying to guess movie connections is nuts. If they are all so organized that is a 5 or 8 hour project. Figure 6 books a minute, 360 an hour, 8 hours = 2,880 books. Start at noon on a Sunday and do it while watching 3 NFL games. Easy peasy. Drink a lot of coffee.

Or, at the very least, do an alpha/numerical list by title, then download the Key Collector App, and then look up the individual titles. The app should tell you which issues are worth looking into. You can then check completed eBay auctions on those individual books.

At the end of the day, there's no getting around just digging in and doing the research on the bulk of the stuff. In order to get maximum return, you have to put in maximum work. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of researching each book or title, then you have to take a lower price. That's just how it works out. Good luck!

Movie spec is ridiculous and pointless 

For every

Eternals 1

Walking Dead 1

Batman Adventures 12

You have

New Avengers 11

New Avengers 27

Shazam 1

Xforce 11

Pearl 1(?)

Die 1 (yet to bear fruit)

And countless other books that have done zilch based on movies...

Buy what you like....

Stick to the mainstayers

Spiderman

Batman

Avengers

Books that will always build

New Avengers 11

New Avengers 27

Shazam 1

Xforce 11

-----

As these were all dollar box or less books before the movie hype (OK, shazam was a $2-5 book) I don't think they have done "zilch"... they did "zilch" if you bought them post-hype at post-hype dollars. Admittedly the shazam movie hype began a while ago once there was even a hint of a movie coming out.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Movie spec is ridiculous and pointless 

For every

Eternals 1

Walking Dead 1

Batman Adventures 12

You have

New Avengers 11

New Avengers 27

Shazam 1

Xforce 11

Pearl 1(?)

Die 1 (yet to bear fruit)

And countless other books that have done zilch based on movies...

Buy what you like....

Stick to the mainstayers

Spiderman

Batman

Avengers

Books that will always build

You don't think there's some point to flipping books you already have or can buy cheaply for solid profit in the short term? That is some KAV level hyperbole.  Potentially in order to bankroll long term investments or things you actually want in your collection? I know its not always the biggest absolute value profit, but if I'm at the comic book store or garage sale anyway looking for stuff I want, I don't mind buying some books for a buck or two that I can get 500% - 2000% (or more) profit. 

54 minutes ago, the blob said:

they did "zilch" if you bought them post-hype at post-hype dollars.

Exactly. That's all he knows. Haven't you seen the stuff he posts with price tags still on them?

45 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Exactly. That's all he knows. Haven't you seen the stuff he posts with price tags still on them?

OK, not everyone has 40 years of cheap-o box purchases to yank treasures out of.

Here are the Copper books that I personally sold off the wall this weekend in Baltimore. All high grade (same books pulled out scored 9.6/9.8 with a press) from a collection I just bought.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 $100
Amazing Spider-Man 316 $100
Amazing Spider-Man 365 $15
Airboy 5 $10
Avengers 257 $25
Batman 426 $40
Batman 428 $50
Batman Adventures 28 $50
Captain Atom 42 $20
Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 $100
New Mutants 98 $300
Peter Parker 64 $60
Peter Parker 64 newsstand $75
She-Hulk 52 $15
Simpsons 1 (!) $40
Swamp Thing 49 $20
Swamp Thing 52 $15
Thor 337 $60
Thor 337 Canadian $100

Edited by FlyingDonut
forgot the Avengers

12 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

As @the blob said, an eBay completed/sold items search would be very easy, if this is the case. Sort by “ended recently,” and that should give you a good idea of what his stuff is worth now. 

Everything else you’ve proposed doing sounds like a waste of time.

Edited by awakeintheashes