• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, camera73 said:

Well, I've always liked it, since I first bought it off the news stand.

BWS eschewing the norms of feminine beauty found in comics?? ...all day long, for me, brother!

I really like it too. 

2 hours ago, camera73 said:

BWS eschewing the norms of feminine beauty found in comics?? ...all day long, for me, brother!

Me three.

4 hours ago, Brock said:
7 hours ago, camera73 said:

Me three.

Put me on the like side :bigsmile:

27 minutes ago, Brock said:

Art is always subjective, so I’m Not going to dispute your opinion, but since Conan was his first regular series, coming early in his career, and before his own style really developed, it’s an odd rationale to use. It would be like saying you don’t like Todd McFarlane... Even his Infinity Inc. run is hit and miss.

For me (and again, I know this is subjective opinion), Windsor-Smith revolutionized comic art by mixing the bombast of Kirby with a formal pre-Raphaelite styling that had not previously been seen in comics, and he later added the light and colour of Gustav Klimt. It was a kind of sophistication that few have been able to match in the comics field.

By the time we get to his Storyteller series, he’s truly breaking new ground... his abandonment of comics due to his disappointment with the industry in the early 1990s is such a loss to the hobby.

I can appreciate that. I find his later work to be even worse, but that is my opinion and I respect those who appreciate it.

And, I am one of the few who does not hold Kirby in high regard. From the GA to through the SA (I will not include his faces melting BA work), I preferred other artists. He had too much of a rectangle/triangle/circle style for my tastes.

8 hours ago, camera73 said:

Let's play a game. It's the mid-80s and you're a big Marvel fan. A new issue comes out, but OH NO, IT'S MISSING ALL IDENTIFICATION!

who.jpg.2854f846bc3140e8605015378ef5187e.jpg

Who is the character on the cover? Which series is the issue even from?

Yeah. Exactly.

I like characters to look like, you know, themselves. Say what you want about the art, but that's a terrible Magik (and New Mutants) cover.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, mr_highgrade said:

Also a Barry Windsor Smith cover to boot.

He did a bunch of the New Mutants covers from that time period. I was pulling them out of 50 cent boxes before this lockdown ( I wasn’t seeing this one at that price, obviously).  They are pretty awesome covers, IMO.  The insides of the books are so-so, but for 50 cents I’ll buy them just to look at the cover.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

I like characters to look like, you know, themselves. Say what you want about the art, but that's a terrible Magik (and New Mutants) cover.

Maybe all the others are wrong? :baiting:

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Let's play a game. It's the mid-80s and you're a big Marvel fan. A new issue comes out, but OH NO, IT'S MISSING ALL IDENTIFICATION!

Yeah. Exactly.

Jaka! Cerebus! (Dave Sim sold out to Shooter!!!)

The cut and colour of the character's hair narrows the field down considerably, does it not? I suppose it could be Gwendy in Marvel Tales, but no other book comes to my mind.

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah. Exactly.

The pentagram kinda gives it away. 

I mean...play the game with Marvel Age #44. Is there a point to this game, if Mr. rando comic shopper doesn't know the characters?

downloadfile (2).jpg

2 hours ago, camera73 said:

The pentagram kinda gives it away. 

I mean...play the game with Marvel Age #44. Is there a point to this game, if Mr. rando comic shopper doesn't know the characters?

downloadfile (2).jpg

Yes, but the New Universe books were released that same month, so you weren't really expected to know who that was.