• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,721 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Who is it?  I still don’t know :insane:

Starbrand - who has been threatening a comeback over the past decade.

But Hey Kids, Comics! has a point, which is taken. But obviously she is one of the New Mutants, if you're not a reader. Just like this guy has to be either Cloak or Dagger, if you've never read the book. But you don't know much if you don't follow the books...I don't know. I just know that I like these covers enough to collect them.

BTW, I've seen better Cloak renditions.

2fdd52f75bfa8eaf7fcfd6264c5f4f46.jpg

On 6/29/2020 at 11:41 PM, maidenmate91 said:

Looks like David Bowie in drag lmao 

Here's a fun fact about Bowie, conveyed to me by someone who's worked for the Henson company. During the filming of Labyrinth, Bowie refused to wear the codpiece that the costume department made for his outfit. And in some shots focused on the children, whom he was standing next to, that's apparently quite obvious.

You're welcome.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

On 6/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Let's play a game. It's the mid-80s and you're a big Marvel fan. A new issue comes out, but OH NO, IT'S MISSING ALL IDENTIFICATION!

who.jpg.2854f846bc3140e8605015378ef5187e.jpg

Who is the character on the cover? Which series is the issue even from?

Yeah. Exactly.

I like characters to look like, you know, themselves. Say what you want about the art, but that's a terrible Magik (and New Mutants) cover.

You could apply that same logic to 70% of comic characters, if only doing non-costumed headshots.  Particularly women and obscure characters like Magic. 

34 minutes ago, cd4ever said:
On 6/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Let's play a game. It's the mid-80s and you're a big Marvel fan. A new issue comes out, but OH NO, IT'S MISSING ALL IDENTIFICATION!

who.jpg.2854f846bc3140e8605015378ef5187e.jpg

Who is the character on the cover? Which series is the issue even from?

Yeah. Exactly.

I like characters to look like, you know, themselves. Say what you want about the art, but that's a terrible Magik (and New Mutants) cover.

You could apply that same logic to 70% of comic characters, if only doing non-costumed headshots.  Particularly women and obscure characters like Magic. 

You guys are being way too hard on that press photo of Uma Thurman.

21 minutes ago, divad said:

Always been a Bowie fan - got to see him twice. First was the Spiders from Mars tour in New Haven, then much later in Oakland - such a freakin' talented songwriter and performer. Rock & Roll Star bar none.:sumo:

That's awesome! I listen to him almost daily. Rock n roll suicide, queen btch, oh you pretty things, station to sstation, golden years. The list goes on, so damn good. My favorite artist of all time I would say. A lot of close seconds but Bowie was just such an adapt-toid. His stuff never gets stale, because I can listen to a different era of his.:cloud9:

On 6/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, camera73 said:

Well, I've always liked it, since I first bought it off the news stand.

BWS eschewing the norms of feminine beauty found in comics?? ...all day long, for me, brother!

If he’d have eschewed them any further, Majik would have needed a beard.

Ok, time to change the subject . . . I can't remember when I last posted Copper Sales, so if there are any dupes . . . please don't crucify me :eek:  lol

6 hours ago, divad said:

Ok, time to change the subject . . . I can't remember when I last posted Copper Sales, so if there are any dupes . . . please don't crucify me :eek:  lol

I knew there was a second web with a pre venom apperance!  18 is still listed in all the guides, but I dug through several recently and couldnt find mention of the second apperance in web.  I was pretty sure it was 21, and spent a good 30 minutes going page by page in it trying to see if it had any venom :/

11 hours ago, divad said:

That Solar sale is rather surprising. I thought the Bloodshot movie would have severely dropped all Valiant keys based on movie spec. (Based on the $ return of Bloodshot; not speaking on it being good/bad.)

29 minutes ago, manetteska said:

That Solar sale is rather surprising. I thought the Bloodshot movie would have severely dropped all Valiant keys based on movie spec. (Based on the $ return of Bloodshot; not speaking on it being good/bad.)

There appears to be a section of comic collectors who are inclined to believe seller's claims of 9.8 (and even 9.9) for raw books, and they're happy to "save $100" and buy those books as if they're identical to CGC 9.8.

This Solar #3 is claimed to be 9.8, but it's raw.  A real CGC 9.8 Solar #3 is $150 - $200, so the buyer probably trusts the seller and wants to "save money" as opposed to what looks like overpaying to everyone else.

Edited by valiantman

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:
1 hour ago, manetteska said:

There appears to be a section of comic collectors who are inclined to believe seller's claims of 9.8 (and even 9.9) for raw books, and they're happy to "save $100" and buy those books as if they're identical to CGC 9.8.

This Solar #3 is claimed to be 9.8, but it's raw.  A real CGC 9.8 Solar #3 is $150 - $200, so the buyer probably trusts the seller and wants to "save money" as opposed to what looks like overpaying to everyone else.

I understand all that; I am also surprised a CGC 9.8 is selling for $150 and not $50.

17 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I understand all that; I am also surprised a CGC 9.8 is selling for $150 and not $50.

Solar #3 has always been a pretty good book in early Valiant.  First appearance of Toyo Harada (Valiant's "big bad") and a pre-Harbinger #1 mention of his Harbinger Foundation.  It also contains a chapter of the Barry Windsor-Smith origin of Solar. There are definitely worse Valiant books (content-wise) from 1991-1992, which was still early enough to have those lower print runs (pre-Bloodshot #1).  All that said, there are still comic shops with this book at cover price or less... but conditions on those are usually less than 9.8.  Even the hand-picked copies selected for CGC submission have a 9.6 average.

Edited by valiantman

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

you will see on the forum few times a week at least someone who bought a book a seller claimed 9.8 and then they get a wake up call. And this forum is a fraction of a percent of comic buyers. Just scroll ebay auctions and you will see most the books getting the price of the claimed grade, click on photo it isn't claimed grade. Majority of comic buyers can't grade. Those books could be legit grades, but even if they aren't the buyer will never know unless the send it to cgc. They probably think they will send it to cgc and make a nice profit, they don't factor in taxes, shipping. Don't think to themselves, how come this guy didn't send the 9.8 into cgc?