• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,765 posts in this topic

Just now, Myowncollector said:

you will see on the forum few times a week at least someone who bought a book a seller claimed 9.8 and then they get a wake up call. And this forum is a fraction of a percent of comic buyers. Just scroll ebay auctions and you will see most the books getting the price of the claimed grade, click on photo it isn't claimed grade. Majority of comic buyers can't grade. Those books could be legit grades, but even if they aren't the buyer will never know unless the send it to cgc. They probably think they will send it to cgc and make a nice profit, they don't factor in taxes, shipping. Don't think to themselves, how come this guy didn't send the 9.8 into cgc? 

I've tried to make that point on multiple forums/Facebook and people keep wanting to talk about the time they DID get a 9.8 raw as if that's normal.  There's just no way these dealers are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table when they know CGC exists but they don't use it for books that obviously are worth a lot more slabbed.  They know the books are borderline (or worse) and they sell them raw.  But ultimately, buyers either learn the hard way or they leave their books after death to people who know nothing about them and the family gets next-to-nothing vs. what the buyer believed they had all those years.  Lose-lose scenario.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I've tried to make that point on multiple forums/Facebook and people keep wanting to talk about the time they DID get a 9.8 raw as if that's normal.  There's just no way these dealers are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table when they know CGC exists but they don't use it for books that obviously are worth a lot more slabbed.  They know the books are borderline (or worse) and they sell them raw.  But ultimately, buyers either learn the hard way or they leave their books after death to people who know nothing about them and the family gets next-to-nothing vs. what the buyer believed they had all those years.  Lose-lose scenario.

It's possible, just not common. I have sold 9.8s raw, but for enough  $ that it didn't make sense slabbing. If a book sells for $40 raw high nm vs 80 or 90 slabbed then not worth slabbing. I have a couple handful of dealers who grade honest. But yeah 95 to 98 percent of sellers lie from what I see. 

18 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

It's possible, just not common. I have sold 9.8s raw, but for enough  $ that it didn't make sense slabbing. If a book sells for $40 raw high nm vs 80 or 90 slabbed then not worth slabbing. I have a couple handful of dealers who grade honest. But yeah 95 to 98 percent of sellers lie from what I see. 

sometimes It's just not worth the time or hassle of submitting. Plus some comics heat up over night. Buyers do pay up for raw mid high grade SA BA books

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

sometimes It's just not worth the time or hassle of submitting. Plus some comics heat up over night. Buyers do pay up for raw mid high grade SA BA books

For sure. I sell most things raw over gpa price. Always somebody who will think the book grades higher than it would. 

9.8 needs to be slabbed to get those prices. If someone can sell a raw 9.8 big key for full pop I bow down to them. 

Edited by Myowncollector

22 hours ago, Myowncollector said:
On 7/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, valiantman said:

There appears to be a section of comic collectors who are inclined to believe seller's claims of 9.8 (and even 9.9) for raw books, and they're happy to "save $100" and buy those books as if they're identical to CGC 9.8.

This Solar #3 is claimed to be 9.8, but it's raw.  A real CGC 9.8 Solar #3 is $150 - $200, so the buyer probably trusts the seller and wants to "save money" as opposed to what looks like overpaying to everyone else.

you will see on the forum few times a week at least someone who bought a book a seller claimed 9.8 and then they get a wake up call. And this forum is a fraction of a percent of comic buyers. Just scroll ebay auctions and you will see most the books getting the price of the claimed grade, click on photo it isn't claimed grade. Majority of comic buyers can't grade. Those books could be legit grades, but even if they aren't the buyer will never know unless the send it to cgc. They probably think they will send it to cgc and make a nice profit, they don't factor in taxes, shipping. Don't think to themselves, how come this guy didn't send the 9.8 into cgc? 

Because its not seller's techinque. They sell a few books once a month or so that are high grade and puts a large price on them.

A few sales a month on books that are well overpriced. Nothing wrong with it all the seller can ask what they want.
Its the buyer responsibility to know what they are getting and the price they are paying. 

Learning to grade takes time and effort many don't want to do both.

21 hours ago, Myowncollector said:
22 hours ago, valiantman said:

And some dealers honestly dont want to deal much in slabs. They find it filled with much more fraud, scams and OCD then just selling normal comics.

CGC is not the norm for the comic hobby its still just a growing smaller portion no matter what anyone tells you.

30 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Because its not seller's techinque. They sell a few books once a month or so that are high grade and puts a large price on them.

A few sales a month on books that are well overpriced. Nothing wrong with it all the seller can ask what they want.
Its the buyer responsibility to know what they are getting and the price they are paying. 

I would also say that the difference between getting “top dollar” and a clearly overpriced book isn’t a slam dunk.  What is a fair price for a raw 9.6/9.8 candidate?  People tend to look at the price of a slabbed book and back out the fees, but there are plenty of buyers who don’t value the plastic cases at all, especially ones who dislike the pressing/cleaning games that you can pretty much assume have been played with a slabbed book these days.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, valiantman said:
On 7/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, Myowncollector said:

Actually both of these analyses are incorrect. :bigsmile: The balance of comments are very fairly articulated. (thumbsu

Edited by divad

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Then maybe they shouldn’t be offended when the constantly get low balled. 

Tit for tat

Edited by Shoomanfoo

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure what results of Usagi Yojimbo normally look like, but some good results of #1 today with the announcement of the Netflix series (and with Albedo #2 being a ghost)

@Ryan.

@manetteska

On 7/15/2020 at 2:43 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure what results of Usagi Yojimbo normally look like, but some good results of #1 today with the announcement of the Netflix series (and with Albedo #2 being a ghost)

It will broaden the collecting base, which is better for sellers than for ongoing collectors. :bigsmile: / :cry: