• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,779 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, Wolverinex said:

Space Usagi 1 getting hotter and steadily rising...

Two copies  just sold for $100 today...

I got a notification one was listed this afternoon and it was already sold when I had time to check...

trying to get in touch w/ boardie that i sold mine to last year; willing to pay him double the $3 he paid lol

17 hours ago, McDuck Enterprises said:

The recent heat up of Space Usagi 1 volume 1 is very puzzling to a lot of diehard Usagi collectors though. The publicly released show premise to date mentions nothing about taking place in actual 'space' and to go further, this book is not even the first appearance of Space Usagi. That would be Mirage TMNT #46. 

TMNT 46 is just a sketchbook promo for Space Usagi 1, and likely has a print run at least 10x that of Space Usagi's print run, so that could explain the relative lack of interest in the TMNT issue.

Mirage TMNT 47 has a backup story 'Hare Today, Hare Tomorrow' with Space Usagi plus the Space Usagi #1 cover is featured on the entire back cover of #47 which also predates Space Usagi 1, volume 1. In saying this, copies of TMNT 46 and 47 are drying up online in the last 2 weeks as well! 

Edited by McDuck Enterprises

1 hour ago, McDuck Enterprises said:

Mirage TMNT 47 has a backup story 'Hare Today, Hare Tomorrow' with Space Usagi plus the Space Usagi #1 cover is featured on the entire back cover of #47 which also predates Space Usagi 1, volume 1. In saying this, copies of TMNT 46 and 47 are drying up online in the last 2 weeks as well! 

No wonder that was going up too.  

I was a huge Power Pack fan back in the 80s. I read the entire run and still have my fingers crossed for an winning MCU version.

I just saw on the census that there are only 191 cgc-9.8-graded copies of PP1. What does the committee think...for a book that is going for $200-$400, would that be a sign of rarity?

It seems like there were a lot of issues printed and available for sale. That black cover is nearly impossible to find without color-breaking crease or ten. So, the question is: if a movie gets announced tomorrow, will there be no supply to meet the inevitable supply? Will I be kicking myself for not buying one right now for $275-350?

On the topic of the thread - I was shocked when I saw a couple of these selling between $300-$400 last year.

7 hours ago, McDuck Enterprises said:

So of the three, which one is probably the best for a space usagi fan?

Another solid price for a Cry for Dawn. 

We've seen 9.8 2nd and 3rd print #1s go for $1,400 - $1,700 recently. 

But a #5 2nd print 9.6 just went for $500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264816057261

For anyone who collects CFD, you know how tough CGC is on this book, only 4 in 9.6 and before a few months ago there were zero in 9.8, ZERO.

#1 volume 1 is a really great issue (and obviously a handsome front cover,) but I would lean to Mirage TMNT 46 or 47 as being a true first appearance. Yes, as Ryan points out, #46 (April 1992,) is a promo type design spread for not only Space Usagi but the ships and other characters in the story arc and it does use four whole pages to show 'coming in June 1992.' TMNT issue 47 (May 1992,) has Space Usagi in an actual paneled story one month before SU #1 (June 1992.) I suppose it will be for collectors to determine which counts the most. 

33 minutes ago, McDuck Enterprises said:

#1 volume 1 is a really great issue (and obviously a handsome front cover,) but I would lean to Mirage TMNT 46 or 47 as being a true first appearance. Yes, as Ryan points out, #46 (April 1992,) is a promo type design spread for not only Space Usagi but the ships and other characters in the story arc and it does use four whole pages to show 'coming in June 1992.' TMNT issue 47 (May 1992,) has Space Usagi in an actual paneled story one month before SU #1 (June 1992.) I suppose it will be for collectors to determine which counts the most. 

Thanks for thoughts. I guess the low print run of space usagi 1  is probably why there is a price premium on it.  

I've also noticed that none of the major investing websites have talked about space usagi yet so it'll be interesting to see if the price changes, once there are more eyes on it

Edited by Wolverinex

4 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I have also wondered for weeks about where the Space Usagi info was mentioned as I haven't seen it anywhere...

It really wasn’t. I presume the series heated up because the news release for Mr. Sakai’s show indicates it is not based off of the original storyline of Miyamoto Usagi in feudal Japan but of a distant relative of his in the future......there is nothing mentioned about ‘space’ but the story arc of SU follows a distant relative of UY in the future, so.....I guess that’s where people are making the connection.

30 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I have also wondered for weeks about where the Space Usagi info was mentioned as I haven't seen it anywhere...

It was mainly talked about in Usagi Facebook groups.  @Ryan. Also touched on this briefly  in one of these threads talking about the upcoming show  a few weeks ago.

Edited by Wolverinex

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So of the three, which one is probably the best for a space usagi fan?

I would say TMNT 47.  It has the first cover and first Space Usagi story.  By all traditional measures it is the first Space Usagi appearance.  TMNT 46 is just concept drawings.  I would view it as more of a prototype issue

TMNT-47-front-and-back.jpg

The rarest Space Usagi would be the Malibu Ashcan book.  It took me years before I found one (note there is an ashcan for the Darkhorse series too)

Space-Usagi1-Ashcan.jpg

Edited by david20009

10 hours ago, McDuck Enterprises said:

It really wasn’t. I presume the series heated up because the news release for Mr. Sakai’s show indicates it is not based off of the original storyline of Miyamoto Usagi in feudal Japan but of a distant relative of his in the future......there is nothing mentioned about ‘space’ but the story arc of SU follows a distant relative of UY in the future, so.....I guess that’s where people are making the connection.

Based on the show premise that was released a few weeks ago, the Space Usagi comic storyline seemed to most closely be a match, notwithstanding the space angle. That's the nature of the speculation beast. 

10 hours ago, Inappropriate Spock said:

Space Usagi!

Space Usagi!

Space Usagi!!!!!!

:baiting:

Have you heard about Space Usagi? 

Since you can't stop talking about it I started rereading the collected edition of it last night, which I haven't read in about a decade. It's pretty good! They should adapt it into an animated series.