• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,804 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Actually Animation cels sold in the mid-1990s came from the special's animated Boba Fett segment. So someone does own some official first appearance cels of Boba Fett. (thumbsu

I have wondered if the Batman Adventures cels with Harley Quinn were also sold off in the 90's.  

On 12/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, valiantman said:

Marvel Super Special #16 has more Yoda pages, more Boba Fett pages, and earlier Yoda and earlier Boba Fett than both Star Wars #41 and #42, by 5 or 6 months.

It seems very few collectors know Star Wars #42 is about the 7th time those Boba Fett pages were reprinted. It's the first nothing.

The Marvel paperback was published before all of them. It had the original Yoda, drawn by Williamson before they knew what movie Yoda would look like. Then revised to movie Yoda for MSS 16, SW 41, 42, etc.209DAE38-D61E-4474-8C9F-883DF7A58B37.thumb.jpeg.5a6d2babd38893becdd2b3def2ea5db2.jpeg

1 hour ago, wormboy said:
On 12/28/2020 at 8:14 PM, valiantman said:

Marvel Super Special #16 has more Yoda pages, more Boba Fett pages, and earlier Yoda and earlier Boba Fett than both Star Wars #41 and #42, by 5 or 6 months.

It seems very few collectors know Star Wars #42 is about the 7th time those Boba Fett pages were reprinted. It's the first nothing.

The Marvel paperback was published before all of them. It had the original Yoda, drawn by Williamson before they knew what movie Yoda would look like. Then revised to movie Yoda for MSS 16, SW 41, 42, etc.209DAE38-D61E-4474-8C9F-883DF7A58B37.thumb.jpeg.5a6d2babd38893becdd2b3def2ea5db2.jpeg

Yes - the Marvel Empire Strikes Back illustrated paperback was first.  CGC doesn't grade it (yet), so it doesn't have much "presence" in the marketplace.  MSS #16 is the first Boba Fett, Yoda, and Lando that is CGC graded.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:09 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Same for Star-Lord. Mag is much more than Marvel Spotlight 6. 

And Man-Thing. And White Tiger.

But not Legion of Monsters. Or any Star Wars book. 

I always felt that the difference was that "Legion of Monsters" was the cover title on the magazines used for a bunch of individual horror stories, featuring whatever stories of solo characters they used. While in the comic appearance it represented the team of monsters in their first appearance together.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:09 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Same for Star-Lord. Mag is much more than Marvel Spotlight 6. 

And Man-Thing. And White Tiger.

But not Legion of Monsters. Or any Star Wars book. 

Well, Man Thing is also in an awesome conan mag. I remember bringing my Savage Tales 1 (in nice shape) to a show in the 90s thinking maybe I could trade for some early-ish ASM, and showing it to a dealer and sayig 1st man thing and him giving me a psshaw and saying people only cared about conan (and neal adams, right?) in it...and he didn't deal with books from the 70s, ony SA and earlier... so now I need to figure out where the heck it is if I did not sell it already....

On 12/29/2020 at 8:54 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

The problem with MSS 16 and MSS 27 is that there are so few high grade copies out there.  With #16, the census shows 11 9.8s and 65 9.6s.  MSS #27 (Return of the Jedi Adaptation) shows even a tougher inventory:  10 9.8s and 20 9.6s.  The late 70s and early 80s mags have certainly received more attention with the Marvel Horror aspect kicking in in the couple years, but the truth is these magazine are HTF in terms of condition: lots of color-breaking spine issues, and corner and edge ware, due to the size.  On top of that, it seems harder to find these book with white page, instead of W/OW or straight up OW pages. I think its a matter of time before this stuff get attention due to the regular SW books becoming unattainable for most due to pricing.

I suspect the census is going to change. There are plenty of these out there. Yes, it is hard for magazines to stay in 9.8, but that was the kind of book that was bought in quantity for spec. I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not realizing its significance (I do have a copy or two), but seriously, I ignored it for years in many $2-$5 boxes.

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yes - the Marvel Empire Strikes Back illustrated paperback was first.  CGC doesn't grade it (yet), so it doesn't have much "presence" in the marketplace.  MSS #16 is the first Boba Fett, Yoda, and Lando that is CGC graded.

I feel like this conversation comes up about every 2 to 3 years. 

5 hours ago, the blob said:

I suspect the census is going to change. There are plenty of these out there. Yes, it is hard for magazines to stay in 9.8, but that was the kind of book that was bought in quantity for spec. I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not realizing its significance (I do have a copy or two), but seriously, I ignored it for years in many $2-$5 boxes.

I am not so sure. Odd size books while have a market don't seem to every reach mainstream and if they do not for long.
There are a few exceptions like 1st Rocket. We seem to have this discussion every few years. Maybe the new collector base
will push these books harder.

14 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I am not so sure. Odd size books while have a market don't seem to every reach mainstream and if they do not for long.
There are a few exceptions like 1st Rocket. We seem to have this discussion every few years. Maybe the new collector base
will push these books harder.

I think a lot of that changes with the MCU horror phase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of these folks where the only way a comic can be valuable if there is a movie about it, but  A lot of the magazine stuff could come into play with Morbius, blade, etc. 

And frankly, given the condition that most of these magazines are in, there’s a “thrill of the hunt” aspect to finding some of these important 70s magazines in good shape.  Marvel Preview #3 (1975), Obviously an early Blade appearance, but also features the first appearance of Jamal Afari, the vampire that trained Blade.  Not developed in the Tomb of Dracula series, or the Snipes movies.

If the new Blade movies at any point develop how Blade was raised and trained, and include Jamal, this is the book.  Last I checked: 1 9.8, 9 9.6s. I just think these magazines are going to be on the radar’s of a lot more folks in the next 18 months or so, but they are already so hard to find in high grade, it might not be worth the effort at that point.

4E79B710-01F6-435D-AEDD-8A8BF1E99C74.jpeg

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
21 hours ago, valiantman said:

I feel like this conversation comes up about every 2 to 3 years. 

It does, but what's worse is that "Star Wars #42 is the 1st Boba Fett" never goes away... and every time there's interest in Boba Fett, people are out there announcing Star Wars #42 as "1st" when it's still the 4th or 5th reprint of the same pages already published (and even CGC graded, in the case of MSS #16) months earlier.

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It does, but what's worse is that "Star Wars #42 is the 1st Boba Fett" never goes away... and every time there's interest in Boba Fett, people are out there announcing Star Wars #42 as "1st" when it's still the 4th or 5th reprint of the same pages already published (and even CGC graded, in the case of MSS #16) months earlier.

I can see why we gravitated this way years ago. What will be interesting is if the new collector base will decide to accept
those other appearances or not. I prefer comic appearances only, but that doesn't mean the next generation will.

35 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
59 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I can see why we gravitated this way years ago. What will be interesting is if the new collector base will decide to accept
those other appearances or not. I prefer comic appearances only, but that doesn't mean the next generation will.

One thing that has probably helped, which was not intentional, is that DC created the Black Label books as magazine-sized.  That put hundreds of CGC graded magazine-sized books into the current generation of collectors' hands (or at least, in front of their eyeballs).  Combine those recent CGC magazine-sized books with huge books like TMNT #1, also magazine-sized, and CGC magazine-sized books become "normal" for certain books, larger than standard, but still inside CGC slabs.  It has been much easier to "ignore" CGC magazine-sized slabs before DC Black Label and before TMNT #1 became "THE big 1980s book" over the past two years.  My own CGC magazine-sized slab collection started with a single book - Eerie #2 - and once I had one, I had a dozen others in no time.

If CGC (or some legit competitor) starts slabbing the illustrated paperback - the true first Boba, Yoda, Lando - I'd bet those will become much bigger in the market than they are today.  In some ways, I'm surprised that all the sizes and shapes of video game boxes are being slabbed before paperbacks.  There are billions of paperbacks of all kinds, and no one is slabbing them (yet).

16 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I think a lot of that changes with the MCU horror phase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of these folks where the only way a comic can be valuable if there is a movie about it, but  A lot of the magazine stuff could come into play with Morbius, blade, etc. 

Or this one . . . 

Z6agcw.jpg

On 12/21/2020 at 7:58 AM, spreads said:

Bone 1 CGC 7.5 sold for $1800+ CAD!   GPA showing two sales above 13k in 9.8!   If that isn't heating up, I don't know what is!

If I was a betting man, I would bet the 7.5 didn’t sell for what gpa is reporting. It sold for less. The amount reported on gpa is the listing price but it did have a best offer option and I know the seller would come down. I had some discussions. Likely what happened was the seller sent a private offer. Buyer accepted. Gpa gets the amounts at the listing price. I’ve seen it happen before a few times on books that friends have bought. 

Love bone 1, now someone sell me one so I can upgrade please 😃

Edited by BoomCity

1 hour ago, BoomCity said:

If I was a betting man, I would bet the 7.5 didn’t sell for what gpa is reporting. It sold for less. The amount reported on gpa is the listing price but it did have a best offer option and I know the seller would come down. I had some discussions. Likely what happened was the seller sent a private offer. Buyer accepted. Gpa gets the amounts at the listing price. I’ve seen it happen before a few times on books that friends have bought. 

Love bone 1, now someone sell me one so I can upgrade please 😃

Sounds like you're trying to get a cheap price from a seller - ain't gonna happen.  LOL