• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,781 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2020 at 9:03 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am not so sure. Odd size books while have a market don't seem to every reach mainstream and if they do not for long.
There are a few exceptions like 1st Rocket. We seem to have this discussion every few years. Maybe the new collector base
will push these books harder.

I am talking about census numbers going up. The MS 16 is several hundred $ in raw nice shape right now, why wouldn't people who had been holding them get them slabbed?

On 1/2/2021 at 9:15 PM, fastballspecial said:

Because of all the extra money flowing into the hobby via govt cash I think which I would think 
will skew GPA for awhile. That and no conventions play into it as well I would imagine.

Are people who make $75K who get a stimulus check really spending it on $1500 comics? 

15 minutes ago, wormboy said:

There aren’t any graded, so that must be it (too thick). I have a message in to them. I’ll let you know when I hear back.

Not sure how thick this TPB is but it must be close

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, greggy said:

s-l1600.jpg

I have a CGC rejection on a thick trade that was submitted several years ago, but I have since seen the same trade slabbed by CGC, so they may have increased the capacity in the past few years.

Thicker trade paperbacks definitely aren't a "traditional" thing to be submitted to CGC, but that would change pretty quickly once a $30 mid-grade trade starts selling for $300, or whatever the most likely outcome of the first few graded copies of the Empire Strikes Back illustrated trade would be.

9 hours ago, the blob said:

I am talking about census numbers going up. The MS 16 is several hundred $ in raw nice shape right now, why wouldn't people who had been holding them get them slabbed?

I am unable to answer that. I would only think those people holding those nice copies don't care about slabbing. Remember CGC revolves around comics not the other way around. 

9 hours ago, the blob said:
On 1/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, fastballspecial said:

Because of all the extra money flowing into the hobby via govt cash I think which I would think 
will skew GPA for awhile. That and no conventions play into it as well I would imagine.

Are people who make $75K who get a stimulus check really spending it on $1500 comics? 

Its already happened once. The first stimulus was the best comic sales I have had in 20 year selling career. 

We will know in a few weeks I tend to agree with you that it wont be as explosive as the first time. 

But, I can tell you I have doubled my sales in my Selling thread this year from last year.

Edited by fastballspecial

14 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Has something big just been confirmed regarding the Sinister Six for the next Spider-man movie? I had a set of the Return of Sinister Six from Amazing 330s available probably for a few years that just sold with multiple bids.

The GoCollect blog is pumping ASM 334-339 presently. Lemming-type movement buy/sell wise

Edited by bluehorseshoe

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its already happened once. The first stimulus was the best comic sales I have had in 20 year selling career. 

We will know in a few weeks I tend to agree with you that it wont be as explosive as the first time. 

But, I can tell you I have doubled my sales in my Selling thread this year from last year.

But, stimulus checks + tax refund checks...could be huge selling-wise.

9 hours ago, greggy said:

s-l1600.jpg

The ESB paperback is substantially thicker than the GL/GA paperback. Here they are together. Sorry for inverted photo - ever since the board  “update” it flips all my photos.

D9D3E02B-2386-4A71-8545-61C0EF2D462E.jpeg.0201efc4112f0dbfddfcdae731aa89ca.jpeg

It’s even thicker compared to the Star Wars paperback:

5AB1F698-8D2E-40C8-8935-8BCE182B0954.jpeg.92f063d6c98497ffda737bd6be6c8ba3.jpeg

ESB is 224 pages, SW is 124.

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I am unable to answer that. I would only think those people holding those nice copies don't care about slabbing. Remember CGC revolves around comics not the other way around. 

Disagree with that. My theory is that there arent alot of slabbed magazines like MSS, Marvel Previews, etc. because there are so few nice (9.6/9.8) raw books out in the wild worth submission, hence low census numbers.  Certainly popularity comes into play to a degree, but thats just a matter of educating your general collector that this stuff is out there.  Look at these boards: There is one section for magazines, where you discuss, buy, and sell magazines, not sub sections.  The rest is your standard comic book stuff. 

1 minute ago, wormboy said:

The ESB paperback is substantially thicker than the GL/GA paperback. Here they are together. Sorry for inverted photo - ever since the board  “update” it flips all my photos.

D9D3E02B-2386-4A71-8545-61C0EF2D462E.jpeg.0201efc4112f0dbfddfcdae731aa89ca.jpeg

It’s even thicker compared to the Star Wars paperback:

5AB1F698-8D2E-40C8-8935-8BCE182B0954.jpeg.92f063d6c98497ffda737bd6be6c8ba3.jpeg

ESB is 224 pages, SW is 124.

ROTJ comic paperback is about the same as SW, thinner than ESB.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:28 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

I think a lot of that changes with the MCU horror phase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of these folks where the only way a comic can be valuable if there is a movie about it, but  A lot of the magazine stuff could come into play with Morbius, blade, etc. 

And frankly, given the condition that most of these magazines are in, there’s a “thrill of the hunt” aspect to finding some of these important 70s magazines in good shape.  Marvel Preview #3 (1975), Obviously an early Blade appearance, but also features the first appearance of Jamal Afari, the vampire that trained Blade.  Not developed in the Tomb of Dracula series, or the Snipes movies.

If the new Blade movies at any point develop how Blade was raised and trained, and include Jamal, this is the book.  Last I checked: 1 9.8, 9 9.6s. I just think these magazines are going to be on the radar’s of a lot more folks in the next 18 months or so, but they are already so hard to find in high grade, it might not be worth the effort at that point.

4E79B710-01F6-435D-AEDD-8A8BF1E99C74.jpeg

I love Gray Morrow generally but that image of Blade is very off-putting.  

1 hour ago, cd4ever said:
On 12/31/2020 at 8:28 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

I think a lot of that changes with the MCU horror phase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of these folks where the only way a comic can be valuable if there is a movie about it, but  A lot of the magazine stuff could come into play with Morbius, blade, etc. 

And frankly, given the condition that most of these magazines are in, there’s a “thrill of the hunt” aspect to finding some of these important 70s magazines in good shape.  Marvel Preview #3 (1975), Obviously an early Blade appearance, but also features the first appearance of Jamal Afari, the vampire that trained Blade.  Not developed in the Tomb of Dracula series, or the Snipes movies.

If the new Blade movies at any point develop how Blade was raised and trained, and include Jamal, this is the book.  Last I checked: 1 9.8, 9 9.6s. I just think these magazines are going to be on the radar’s of a lot more folks in the next 18 months or so, but they are already so hard to find in high grade, it might not be worth the effort at that point.

4E79B710-01F6-435D-AEDD-8A8BF1E99C74.jpeg

Expand  

I love Gray Morrow generally but that image of Blade is very off-putting.  

It was clearly an inspiration to Andre Leon Talley, so...

Andre Leon Talley, Anna Wintour

... that's something you can't unsee.

40 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I suppose anything is possibe, but just as likely a guy who used to spend $1000-2000 a month on bar hopping, eating out, and strip clubs has extra money and hasn't blown it all on hookers and dope. Or you get a guy like me who is saving $1500-2000 a month working from home who still has a secure job (for now) and is less stressed about pulling the trigger. (And, of course, I got no stimulus check, as is the case for most white collar professionals (and blue collar ones in decent trades) who blow money on comics, $75K for a single person and $150K for a household (with 2 working adults) excludes a lot of us comic collecting nerds, especially in high COLA areas.

Seems to me it is likely a wash because, let's face it, a lot of people who may be collectors have gotten big hits on their incomes too. Practically everyone in hospitality, restaurants, TV, theatre, movies, had 3-9 months of income that was wrecked.

I guess we can do a poll on how many people here sunk their stimulus checks into comics. Yes, I know, everything can be indirect. Someone who used it to pay down their CC may feel more comfortable spending now, etc.

The last few months have been great in terms of sales with 2020 being my best year ever.  There was some slower months during the year but books have been selling very regularly and the stimulus money has sparked some bigger book buying this month.

15 hours ago, the blob said:

I suppose anything is possibe, but just as likely a guy who used to spend $1000-2000 a month on bar hopping, eating out, and strip clubs has extra money and hasn't blown it all on hookers and dope. Or you get a guy like me who is saving $1500-2000 a month working from home who still has a secure job (for now) and is less stressed about pulling the trigger. (And, of course, I got no stimulus check, as is the case for most white collar professionals (and blue collar ones in decent trades) who blow money on comics, $75K for a single person and $150K for a household (with 2 working adults) excludes a lot of us comic collecting nerds, especially in high COLA areas.

Seems to me it is likely a wash because, let's face it, a lot of people who may be collectors have gotten big hits on their incomes too. Practically everyone in hospitality, restaurants, TV, theatre, movies, had 3-9 months of income that was wrecked.

I guess we can do a poll on how many people here sunk their stimulus checks into comics. Yes, I know, everything can be indirect. Someone who used it to pay down their CC may feel more comfortable spending now, etc.

Those least in need of the stimulus may have earmarked stimulus dollars for comic purchases, but that's more a reflection of their personal choices as to where to spend their discretionary income:  In light of lockdowns, no conventions or shows, many LCS shuttered,  it's only logical that those dollars spent on and at those venues by those same people that spend X on Conventions etc, would shift those same dollars to online sales. Think of all the money NOT spent on travel, hotels, food, beer, 3 day con passes, signings, etc.  That frees up a lot of dollars.