• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,769 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would add that most of those buyers probably live at home and have a lot of money to spend frivolously 

at the last show I did, one of them sold me two long boxes of newer books that didn’t spec out for him for $140. I sold about 10 books to a dealer for $40 at the same show and have sold about 30 books to make up my initial investment. I still have about a long box and half of $3-$5 books for my next show

If they are anything like most of us were during our 20s, they are bad at keeping their money in their pocket

so someone dragged two long boxes of books to a show to get $140 for them? ouch. I guess you would have known if these were "fill a box for $50" books sold on the other side of the convention? 

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

so someone dragged two long boxes of books to a show to get $140 for them? ouch. I guess you would have known if these were "fill a box for $50" books sold on the other side of the convention? 

he was asking $2 a book but there weren't a lot of customers. He also brought some graded books and made a few sales so in his eyes it was a success and didn't want to load the boxes back and store them again. He had made the money off them that was acceptable. They were now waste and $140 was great for him

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

he was asking $2 a book but there weren't a lot of customers. He also brought some graded books and made a few sales so in his eyes it was a success and didn't want to load the boxes back and store them again. He had made the money off them that was acceptable. They were now waste and $140 was great for him

so he was carting around a few long boxes at a show and trying to sell them or did he have a piece of a table?

I'm asking because I wonder if I could just go to NYCC with a couple of magazine boxes of $5-$10 books (if we ever have shows again), set up in one of the areas where people are sitting around, and sell my comics. or, better yet, have one of my kids do it while i enjoy the show. Even more amusing would be spending a day hunting through $1-$2 boxes, fill up 2 boxes with the best of my hunting, and then sell them as $5-10 books. People would see the books being sold this way and would probably think they're getting over on someone desperate. Frankly, I did this a few times as a kid, but it was more wandering around with a stack of comics and selling them to people. I did a great job of unloading most of my brother's Ditko spideys for him that way when i was 12, which he then spent on about a week of weed. I wish I didn't do such a great job as I wound up getting his comic collection eventually.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

No trips to Disney World either (or just vacations).

Yup, for sure. We saved a few grand last year on that (we joined a beach club, which was cheaper than a big vacation), plus no summer camp costs for my youngest, and we'll be doing the same this summer. Deferring any big travel to 2022 most likely.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Yup, for sure. We saved a few grand last year on that (we joined a beach club, which was cheaper than a big vacation), plus no summer camp costs for my youngest, and we'll be doing the same this summer. Deferring any big travel to 2022 most likely.

Sounds like more money for comics! :flipbait:

On 1/4/2021 at 8:01 PM, the blob said:

I suppose anything is possibe, but just as likely a guy who used to spend $1000-2000 a month on bar hopping, eating out, and strip clubs has extra money and hasn't blown it all on hookers and dope. Or you get a guy like me who is saving $1500-2000 a month working from home who still has a secure job (for now) and is less stressed about pulling the trigger. (And, of course, I got no stimulus check, as is the case for most white collar professionals (and blue collar ones in decent trades) who blow money on comics, $75K for a single person and $150K for a household (with 2 working adults) excludes a lot of us comic collecting nerds, especially in high COLA areas.

Seems to me it is likely a wash because, let's face it, a lot of people who may be collectors have gotten big hits on their incomes too. Practically everyone in hospitality, restaurants, TV, theatre, movies, had 3-9 months of income that was wrecked.

I guess we can do a poll on how many people here sunk their stimulus checks into comics. Yes, I know, everything can be indirect. Someone who used it to pay down their CC may feel more comfortable spending now, etc.

It's called the K economy for a reason; some industries and jobs have actually benefitted from COVID.  And then, for those that haven't suffered, there are many people with a lot more discretionary money than before!   I own a cottage in the Quebec mountains, I've had it rented all winter long when I've never had any inquiries before about winter rentals.  People are spending money in different ways now, and I think this is also why there's a lot of new money coming into the hobby - not just stimulus money, people that got into comics from sitting a home bored one day.  And of course, interest rates are so ridiculously cheap the cost of borrowing has made discretionary spending that much more open..... 

On 1/5/2021 at 11:28 PM, jsilverjanet said:

If they are anything like most of us were during our 20s, they are bad at keeping their money in their pocket

Not just in their 20s....I know of a guy in his 30s that became a major flipper/dealer that's paying me on a payment plan in for a silver age grail in dribs and drabs because he's 'bad with money'.  I know of two big, long-time dealers that funnel their comic buying mostly on credit - they are very well known and have been doing it for several decades each, one in particular has nothing but comics to show for it.  I learned a long time ago from working in hotels, that you cannot judge a person's socioeconomic status from what they wear or the car they drive.....

40 minutes ago, spreads said:

I learned a long time ago from working in hotels, that you cannot judge a person's socioeconomic status from what they wear or the car they drive.....

Yup.  I drive a 2008 Kia Rondo, but I’m nowhere near as high class as that implies.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:35 AM, the blob said:

so he was carting around a few long boxes at a show and trying to sell them or did he have a piece of a table?

I'm asking because I wonder if I could just go to NYCC with a couple of magazine boxes of $5-$10 books (if we ever have shows again), set up in one of the areas where people are sitting around, and sell my comics. or, better yet, have one of my kids do it while i enjoy the show. Even more amusing would be spending a day hunting through $1-$2 boxes, fill up 2 boxes with the best of my hunting, and then sell them as $5-10 books. People would see the books being sold this way and would probably think they're getting over on someone desperate. Frankly, I did this a few times as a kid, but it was more wandering around with a stack of comics and selling them to people. I did a great job of unloading most of my brother's Ditko spideys for him that way when i was 12, which he then spent on about a week of weed. I wish I didn't do such a great job as I wound up getting his comic collection eventually.

Found these today in those long boxes 

9E241D5B-0601-4B7B-985E-D00763AF5FDD.jpeg

On 1/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, ygogolak said:

Sounds like more money for comics! :flipbait:

Yeah, my wife decided that I was doing a poor job of supervising remote learning, so now we have someone helping for 10 hours a week. It adds up to what private school (catholic) would be costing us. So, I am now spending $300-350 more a month more on childcare than when he was in school with his afterschool program ($450 a month) and the occasional $15 an hour person who picked him up and watched him after that when I was sill at work. My pandemic cash bonus is quickly getting evaporated. I'm still saving on commuting and buying lunch at work though, so that's good.