• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,801 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

X-men 5 is tied to Omega.  Can never tell when a 2nd appearance will mean something to people or not. 

#1, that one baffles me.  Someone mentioned that Omega has a sketch maybe in the deluxe. 

Patrick

I don't know if "1st full cover" appearance is a thing, but that would apply to #5. And the first appearance of Maverick, who I understand has just popped back up in the comics.

The X-Men #1 Deluxe edition has all of the pin-ups/centerfolds from the regular editions, one of which (Cyclops/Wolverine/Iceman cover) included Omega Red. One would think that the Deluxe edition shouldn't matter so much, since it was released at least a week after all of the other covers, but apparently not.

Apparently ASM 252 CGC 9.8 is now a $2225 (regular edition) book!  Seriously who is buying these books at these laughable numbers! lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-252-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-First-Black-Suit/124635923953?hash=item1d04e145f1%3Ag%3AYYwAAOSwJeRgTs6a&LH_Auction=1

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Makes more sense for this book than for more much more common/recent stuff like UF4 or NM98.  Just saying.  

Really? You think the first appearance of a different color costume should be worth more than characters that have had their own movie franchises?

50 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Really? You think the first appearance of a different color costume should be worth more than characters that have had their own movie franchises?

For one thing, we are talking about Spidey, who are the Beatles to this hobby.    ANY change, especially such a visible one on a cover no less, could be very signficant to his legions of fans.   (thumbsu

Putting that aside, the pertinent question is what were the books worth before six to eight months ago, and what are they worth now.  We already knew about the characters/franchises re UF4 and NM98 so something else has been at play.  To the extent there was no catalyst for any title/book but just a tidal wave that caused a spike across many and varied books, it should not be surprising that ASM252 has reached this valuation.  AMS252 in 9.8 averaged $635 in 2020, and sold for $2230 now.   UF4 in 9.8 averaged $871 in 2020, and sold for $2,951 recently.  And lo and behold, NM98 in 9.8 averaged $867 in 2020 also sold recently for $2,900.   All similar increases over time.  Accepting the tidal wave as a fact, the increase to ASM252 was not suprising as it was proportional to everything else going up.  

Also, it could be that the tidal wave affected all the (relatively) affordable 9.8s of keys in the same way, whether it involved the traditional first-appearance of a character or not.  ASM316 ("only" a first full cover appearance of Venom) in 9.8 averaged $407 in 2020 and is now selling for $1550, a growth that is also consistent with the above.   (shrug)

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

For one thing, we are talking about Spidey, who are the Beatles to this hobby.    ANY change, especially such a visible one on a cover no less, could be very signficant to his legions of fans.   (thumbsu

Putting that aside, the pertinent question is what were the books worth before six to eight months ago, and what are they worth now.  We already knew about the characters/franchises re UF4 and NM98 so something else has been at play.  To the extent there was no catalyst for any title/book but just a tidal wave that caused a spike across many and varied books, it should not be surprising that ASM252 has reached this valuation.  AMS252 in 9.8 averaged $635 in 2020, and sold for $2230 now.   UF4 in 9.8 averaged $871 in 2020, and sold for $2,951 recently.  And lo and behold, NM98 in 9.8 averaged $867 in 2020 also sold recently for $2,900.   All similar increases over time.  Accepting the tidal wave as a fact, the increase to ASM252 was not suprising as it was proportional to everything else going up.  

Also, it could be that the tidal wave affected all the (relatively) affordable 9.8s of keys in the same way, whether it involved the traditional first-appearance of a character or not.  ASM316 ("only" a first full cover appearance of Venom) in 9.8 averaged $407 in 2020 and is now selling for $1550, a growth that is also consistent with the above.   (shrug)

I still disagree that ASM 252 should be equal to NM98 and UF4 and I can't see changing my opinion, though I'd have a better chance of being swayed on Deadpool because of the sheer number of them out there. 

The price of MTU 141 is a fraction of 252 and has 1/4 of the number of 9.8s in the census. Should it be a $2k book too?

12 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I still disagree that ASM 252 should be equal to NM98 and UF4 and I can't see changing my opinion, though I'd have a better chance of being swayed on Deadpool because of the sheer number of them out there. 

The price of MTU 141 is a fraction of 252 and has 1/4 of the number of 9.8s in the census. Should it be a $2k book too?

It’s a fairly big fraction at $700 for a 9.8

19 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

No, because it’s the third appearance of the costume 

2 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Yeah I forgot that the "they came out on the same day" was debunked a while ago. But, FYI...CGC still lists it as tied with 252. 

Other than the census, CGC isn’t a reliable source for information on books IMHO. A lot of collectors do unfortunately because 1) it’s convenient 2) suits the narrative they want to push. They offer a great service that has transformed the hobby, but they aren’t a trusted resource for information. 

46 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

that would be great...please!

4 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Yeah I forgot that the "they came out on the same day" was debunked a while ago. But, FYI...CGC still lists it as tied with 252. 

So is the official chronology:

1st SW8

2nd ASM252

3rd MTU141

Or something different?