• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Fantasy Quarterly #1 blasting off?

Likely, but there are some pretty detailed posts around here somewhere pointing out that Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover) is probably the better Elfquest book.  (Unlikely to be worth more, but certainly a bargain right now.)

The creators weren't happy with Fantasy Quarterly #1, there are hundreds of slabbed copies of Fantasy Quarterly #1, and Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover) was printed soon after FQ #1 by the creators, starting the 40+ year run of self-publishing.

2 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

For a 9.8. Not much for sale right now. But nice raw copies for around $200 like I see are a chunk more than before.

2 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

For a 9.8. Not much for sale right now. But nice raw copies for around $200 like I see are a chunk more than before.

Yes, one just sold for $1300.  Still seems undervalued.  I have noticed an uptick in people asking for it.  

3 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Surprisingly many 9.8s for what I would have thought was an obscure book. Makes me think there were untouched warehouse/file copies, but I am just speculating. Maybe the pinnis kept 100 copies for posterity. 

On 4/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, littledoom said:

i find myself taking out books from my "commons" longboxes like ASM 360 and 362 2nd print.. copies selling for $50

I don't have a commons box. They are either in the hot box or a soon to be hot box. 

I'm going thru a box and find some Kanan Star Wars books. I look them up and see MCS has a few 9.8s on consignment for stupid money, but then see they are paying a whopping $2 to buy them. 

Edited by shadroch

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, one just sold for $1300.  Still seems undervalued.  I have noticed an uptick in people asking for it.  

Did it sell on eBay?  I don’t see any copies that have sold and only 1 graded copy up for sales.  I’d sell my couple CGC 9.6s if the prices doubled.

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Likely, but there are some pretty detailed posts around here somewhere pointing out that Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover) is probably the better Elfquest book.  (Unlikely to be worth more, but certainly a bargain right now.)

The creators weren't happy with Fantasy Quarterly #1, there are hundreds of slabbed copies of Fantasy Quarterly #1, and Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover) was printed soon after FQ #1 by the creators, starting the 40+ year run of self-publishing.

I forget where you have them history, but it seems Elfquest 1 (reprint of FQ 1 with a new cover? Anything else new?),was before 2, based on the letters section in the first print of 2. I'd be chasing 1 if it had more than a new cover.

22 hours ago, the blob said:

Surprisingly many 9.8s for what I would have thought was an obscure book. Makes me think there were untouched warehouse/file copies, but I am just speculating. Maybe the pinnis kept 100 copies for posterity. 

Yes, I believe this is basically correct. I no longer have my original Elfquest issues, but my memory tells me that towards the end of the run - so 5-6 years after Fantasy Quarterly #1 was released - the Pinis announced in the Elfquest lettercolumn that they had found at least one case of undistributed copies of Fantasy Quarterly #1, which they then sold through the lettercolumn by mail. So I think some portion of the print run was never distributed and only sold this way, which is why there is such a high proportion of high grade copies. I don't think I've ever seen a low grade copy of this book to be honest.

Anyone have any idea what the print run was?

3 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Yes, I believe this is basically correct. I no longer have my original Elfquest issues, but my memory tells me that towards the end of the run - so 5-6 years after Fantasy Quarterly #1 was released - the Pinis announced in the Elfquest lettercolumn that they had found at least one case of undistributed copies of Fantasy Quarterly #1, which they then sold through the lettercolumn by mail. So I think some portion of the print run was never distributed and only sold this way, which is why there is such a high proportion of high grade copies. I don't think I've ever seen a low grade copy of this book to be honest.

Anyone have any idea what the print run was?

How many in a case? The first print of Elfquest 1 is pretty hard to find on ebay. I would like one, but 2-7 are pretty affordable.

23 hours ago, the blob said:

I forget where you have them history, but it seems Elfquest 1 (reprint of FQ 1 with a new cover? Anything else new?),was before 2, based on the letters section in the first print of 2. I'd be chasing 1 if it had more than a new cover.

No, Elfquest #2 is first (after FQ #1). It clearly says so inside the cover.

Elfquest #1 came after #3 or #4.

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Read the letters section in the first print. Folks are commenting on Elfquest 1, not FQ 1. The inside cover is a little ambiguous. As the insides of 1 are the same as FQ 1, maybe what they say on the cover needs to be read in that context?

13 hours ago, the blob said:
13 hours ago, valiantman said:

Read the letters section in the first print. Folks are commenting on Elfquest 1, not FQ 1. The inside cover is a little ambiguous. As the insides of 1 are the same as FQ 1, maybe what they say on the cover needs to be read in that context?

Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover)...  "You hold in your hands the second issue of ELFQUEST and our first."  - Wendy and Richard Pini (1978)

elfquest2_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.88761d3ed9df6b8596e616d671d8cf26.jpg

The first issue they're referencing is Fantasy Quarterly #1.  Elfquest #2 was the next book after Fantasy Quarterly #1.

Here's Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover)... "It's been a little over a year since ELFQUEST first appeared in March, 1978" (so Elfquest #1 first printing is from 1979). 

They refuse to name "Fantasy Quarterly #1" and just call it "the original edition of this issue".

elfquest1_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.0d856b613e8ff10d0d3dcdfdecc9b3b2.jpg

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover)...  "You hold in your hands the second issue of ELFQUEST and our first."  - Wendy and Richard Pini (1978)

elfquest2_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.88761d3ed9df6b8596e616d671d8cf26.jpg

The first issue they're referencing is Fantasy Quarterly #1.  Elfquest #2 was the next book after Fantasy Quarterly #1.

Here's Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover)... "It's been a little over a year since ELFQUEST first appeared in March, 1978" (so Elfquest #1 first printing is from 1979). 

They refuse to name "Fantasy Quarterly #1" and just call it "the original edition of this issue".

elfquest1_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.0d856b613e8ff10d0d3dcdfdecc9b3b2.jpg

then what are the people in the letters section referring to? the cgc label on #1 says 1979, so I guess you're right. are the folks in the letter section referrng to FQ 1, but calling it the first issue of elfquest? the first print of #1 is definitely way too expensive for a reprint that came out after #2

Edited by the blob

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

then what are the people in the letters section referring to? 

My guess is that they're talking about Fantasy Quarterly #1 and Wendy and Richard purposefully changed FQ#1 to "Elfquest #1" so that no one would go looking for the FQ book they despised. 

The Pini's notes, the letters, (and all reprints forever) would never name the actual first issue again.

There's no way the 1st printing of Elfquest #1 would say "over a year ago" (which has to be after March 1979), and it's ALSO an earlier book than Elfquest #2 (which they call their first book) from 1978.

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

My guess is that they're talking about Fantasy Quarterly #1 and Wendy and Richard purposefully changed FQ#1 to "Elfquest #1" so that no one would go looking for the FQ book they despised. 

The Pini's notes, the letters, (and all reprints forever) would never name the actual first issue again.

that makes sense, they tweaked the letters