• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,765 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, the blob said:
29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

My guess is that they're talking about Fantasy Quarterly #1 and Wendy and Richard purposefully changed FQ#1 to "Elfquest #1" so that no one would go looking for the FQ book they despised. 

The Pini's notes, the letters, (and all reprints forever) would never name the actual first issue again.

that makes sense, they tweaked the letters

It's confusing 40+ years later, for sure... but there's enough evidence that they just wanted the letters to refer to Elfquest and not to the dead title from another publisher (which was either out-of-business or a competitor at the time), which didn't represent the quality they wanted WaRP Graphics to have.  Sort of like how this CGC board refers to "Voldemort" rather than naming the company of an ex-employee.

CGC lists Elfquest #1 as "April 1979" and has Elfquest #2 and #3 as 1978.  The Pinis said they would publish three times a year, and Elfquest #5 is August 1979, so it's possible that Elfquest #4 and Elfquest #1 are both April 1979... that would put Elfquest #3 at December 1978 and Elfquest #2 around August 1978.  Fantasy Quarterly #1 was March 1978.

At any rate, there's a chance that Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover, April 1979, WaRP Graphics) could still be more valuable to collectors than Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover, ~August 1978, 1st WaRP Graphics book) even if everyone knew the whole history, since Superman #1 (with reprints of Action Comics) didn't come out until around the time of Action Comics #14... but Superman #1 is worth more than every other (earlier) Superman book besides Action Comics #1.

Speaking of Superman #1 (1939, reprinting Action Comics #1-#4)... Superman #1 was 40 years old (Action Comics #1 was 41 years old) when Elfquest #1 (reprint) was published.  Elfquest #1 is now 42 years old (and Elfquest #2 is 43 years old). 

Elfquest is older now than Superman was... when Elfquest first arrived. :preach:

Edited by valiantman

On 4/3/2021 at 3:15 PM, shadroch said:
On 4/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, littledoom said:

i find myself taking out books from my "commons" longboxes like ASM 360 and 362 2nd print.. copies selling for $50

I don't have a commons box. They are either in the hot box or a soon to be hot box. 

I have way too many HG books to have "commons" boxes, and I left longboxes 10 years ago due to handling issues (as in way too freakin' heavy), now I have 4 to 5 Current Listings short boxes and keep the rest in severely alphabetized by publisher short boxes (a task which will remain less than perfect and eternally undone until I am long past lol )

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's confusing 40+ years later, for sure... but there's enough evidence that they just wanted the letters to refer to Elfquest and not to the dead title from another publisher (which was either out-of-business or a competitor at the time), which didn't represent the quality they wanted WaRP Graphics to have.  Sort of like how this CGC board refers to "Voldemort" rather than naming the company of an ex-employee.

CGC lists Elfquest #1 as "April 1979" and has Elfquest #2 and #3 as 1978.  The Pinis said they would publish three times a year, and Elfquest #5 is August 1979, so it's possible that Elfquest #4 and Elfquest #1 are both April 1979... that would put Elfquest #3 at December 1978 and Elfquest #2 around August 1978.  Fantasy Quarterly #1 was March 1978.

At any rate, there's a chance that Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover, April 1979, WaRP Graphics) could still be more valuable to collectors than Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover, ~August 1978, 1st WaRP Graphics book) even if everyone knew the whole history, since Superman #1 (with reprints of Action Comics) didn't come out until around the time of Action Comics #14... but Superman #1 is worth more than every other (earlier) Superman book besides Action Comics #1.

Speaking of Superman #1 (1939, reprinting Action Comics #1-#4)... Superman #1 was 40 years old (Action Comics #1 was 41 years old) when Elfquest #1 (reprint) was published.  Elfquest #1 is now 42 years old (and Elfquest #2 is 43 years old). 

Elfquest is older now than Superman was... when Elfquest first arrived. :preach:

#1 is definitely more valuable currently. I just got decent copies of the first print of #2 for $15 and $25, shipped, respectively, i see more of the #2 out there, unless elfquest fanatics are just hoarding the #1. i don't see any 1st print #1 anywhwere close as cheap. which is odd, if it came out after elfquest was already gaining popularity you'd think the #1 would have had a big print run

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

#1 is definitely more valuable currently. I just got decent copies of the first print of #2 for $15 and $25, shipped, respectively, i see more of the #2 out there, unless elfquest fanatics are just hoarding the #1. i don't see any 1st print #1 anywhwere close as cheap. which is odd, if it came out after elfquest was already gaining popularity you'd think the #1 would have had a big print run

You and I might be the only people collecting ElfQuest #2. lol

Edited by valiantman

8 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I knew you were gonna say something like that when the auction ended. Seemed like that one had jumped to around $600 pretty quickly. I find myself being surprised didn’t finish higher!

But why the big prices on this book?  Nova becoming a herald?  Makes no sense even when considering goofy movie spec.  Crazy times...

2 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

But why the big prices on this book?  Nova becoming a herald?  Makes no sense even when considering goofy movie spec.  Crazy times...

Very crazy!

I'm sure most of it speculation, as there are 70 copies in 9.8 currently.
This kind of pricing is sure to bring more out.

Question for @FlyingDonut: What is the dollar amount for this book to trigger you selling your copy OR even unleashing your entire 9.8 run?
Maybe you don't wanna disclose that. But lets say the book hits $2,000 mid-summer of this year. Are you a seller?

15 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Very crazy!

I'm sure most of it speculation, as there are 70 copies in 9.8 currently.
This kind of pricing is sure to bring more out.

Question for @FlyingDonut: What is the dollar amount for this book to trigger you selling your copy OR even unleashing your entire 9.8 run?
Maybe you don't wanna disclose that. But lets say the book hits $2,000 mid-summer of this year. Are you a seller?

I'm not sure yet - Mrs. Donut and are doing a total renovation of our house, and if I can pay for it by selling Fantastic Four slabs I might give it pretty serious thought. I probably should go through GPA on all these books just to figure sort of baseline.

24 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I brought a scenario like this up in one of the threads discussing Direct vs Newsstand Editions, but here we have a first cover appearance (Direct Edition only) of Mobius, because of the UPC box.

I came to post the same thing. Really curious if the direct ends up becoming more valued as a result.