• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,809 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, davidpg said:

Man, the way these books keep popping out as "keys"...I have to keep going back through my comic closet of drek to keep pulling them out.

Yes, boxes of miscellaneous I have gone through 5 times in the last year keep on producing new hot books. Its like a treasure hunt. Of course, I own no drek. It is called "valuable treasure"

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Yes, boxes of miscellaneous I have gone through 5 times in the last year keep on producing new hot books. Its like a treasure hunt. Of course, I own no drek. It is called "valuable treasure"

I go shopping in the back stock two or three times a month now. I keep finding things that have recently blown up.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, Von Cichlid said:

I think it is the first appearance of Madripoor and Patch that is driving it.  I read an article on yahoo mentioning the reintroduction of Wolverine into the MCU along with specifically those two things and I thought right away about that book.

Shouldn't the first Patch be MCP 10? I thought he didn't adopt the name before that, even if he had the look...

56 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Shouldn't the first Patch be MCP 10? I thought he didn't adopt the name before that, even if he had the look...

I'm not sure.  I had just read that article about MCU / Madripoor / Patch and MCP 1 was the book I thought of.  Then I saw someone post that it was heating up and I thought that was the reason.  It was already stated above that NM 32 was the first Madripoor, so you are probably right about MCP 10 being the first Patch.  When was Wolverine first seen/referred to as Patch in the regular series?  I wonder if that predates MCP 10. 

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

OK, I just did some research.  mycomicshop has Wolverine 1 (1988) listed as the first Patch.  It was released in November 1988.  I just read the issue and he is not called Patch, but he is wearing a patch at the end of the story.

Wolverine (1988 1st Series) comic books (mycomicshop.com)

However, I just thumbed through MCP 1-10, and Wolverine is not wearing a patch at all until you get to issue #6, where he wears a patch on the cover(!) and prominently on the splash page.  Also, MCP 6 has a release date of November 1988, tying with Wolverine 1...

Given that MCP 6 has Patch on the cover and Wolverine 1 does not, we might have a Hulk 180/181 situation developing here, with MCP 6 being the Hulk 181!  :idea:  I'm going to my used bookstore and LCS dollar bin right now.

Growing up, I didn't like any Wolverine stories where he wasn't in his X-men costume. Preferably the yellow/brown, but the yellow/blue was ok too. So when the Patch stuff started, I couldn't be bothered. I just thought it looked so dumb, with his big pointy dumb hair. 

Remember:

Big pointy mask fins: Awesome

Big pointy hair: Dumb

Whenever he took his mask off in UXM, I was like "Ugh."

And this is why, even though there have now been 47 movies with "Wolverine" in them, I still don't feel like I've really seen "Wolverine" on screen. Gimme the mask!

22 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Growing up, I didn't like any Wolverine stories where he wasn't in his X-men costume. Preferably the yellow/brown, but the yellow/blue was ok too. So when the Patch stuff started, I couldn't be bothered. I just thought it looked so dumb, with his big pointy dumb hair. 

Remember:

Big pointy mask fins: Awesome

Big pointy hair: Dumb

Whenever he took his mask off in UXM, I was like "Ugh."

And this is why, even though there have now been 47 movies with "Wolverine" in them, I still don't feel like I've really seen "Wolverine" on screen. Gimme the mask!

It protected his identity so well, even he didn't know who he was.