• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,796 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

neither was I :D I don't know, Copper feels right for this book. It just gets lost within the all encompassing modern era.

At this point, I think copper should cover to the end of the Chromium Age. Maybe the renumbering of the Marvel titles in 1999. There was a slow decline from the mid-90's that continued even after the renumbering, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere and the copper age was always too short anyway. I personally find most 80's books to have the copper age feel, and things definitely changed in the early - mid 90's with the explosion of print runs but there isn't another thread for the inbetween period and this would still leave the modern era at 20+ years, longer than any other era.

42 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

All jokes aside, is that Marvel Comics presents issue actually expensive now? last time I checked it was still rather affordable along with the other issues in that story.

yes, $65-75-85 for a nice raw copy, occasionally more if people think it is a 9.8, real money for a 9.6 or 9.8 slabbed. this happened recently.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Moderns to me starts about 99 as well 

yeah, but it has never been official as such with the start date being somewhere in the 1991-1993 range. 99 or so, whenever sales really hit the krapper, probabky makes sense from some perspective.

7 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

At this point, I think copper should cover to the end of the Chromium Age. Maybe the renumbering of the Marvel titles in 1999. There was a slow decline from the mid-90's that continued even after the renumbering, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere and the copper age was always too short anyway. I personally find most 80's books to have the copper age feel, and things definitely changed in the early - mid 90's with the explosion of print runs but there isn't another thread for the inbetween period and this would still leave the modern era at 20+ years, longer than any other era.

Copper should cover at least up to Heroes Reborn at Marvel, and the implosion of all of the various independent superhero universes that started in the '90s (Valiant, Continuity, Ultraverse, Milestone, Comics Greatest World, etc.)

Just now, the blob said:

yeah, but it has never been official as such with the start date being somewhere in the 1991-1993 range. 99 or so, whenever sales really hit the krapper, probabky makes sense from some perspective.

Instinctively that's where I feel it should be.

However, I am nobody, so it is what it is

39 minutes ago, miscus555 said:

i think copper ends in 1991

Does anyone remember why 1991 was picked?  Before I looked it up, I thought the end of Copper was timed to the death of Superman stunt, which was the recent  high water mark for printed comics as anything other than a niche market.  I would think at the earliest you would want to run through 1992 to pick up the pre-Unity Valiants and the pre-Superman #75 hype.  How much of the subsequent crash and downward spiral belongs to Copper or to Modern would be another debate, but 1991 does seem too early to end the previous age.

2 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Does anyone remember why 1991 was picked?  Before I looked it up, I thought the end of Copper was timed to the death of Superman stunt, which was the recent  high water mark for printed comics as anything other than a niche market.  I would think at the earliest you would want to run through 1992 to pick up the pre-Unity Valiants and the pre-Superman #75 hype.  How much of the subsequent crash and downward spiral belongs to Copper or to Modern would be another debate, but 1991 does seem too early to end the previous age.

wizard started publishing in july 1991. what were they calling these books? 

35 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

What to call "now" is always a challenge compared to time and distance from the past, but clearly the "modern" era can't be 20+ years. I'd argue that the modern era (now) began with the MCU in 2008. The Movie era, specifically the MCU has transformed the hobby as we know it today.  Previous movie hype never had as dramatic an effect with Batman, Super-man, the Fox Movies (any of them) or even the Raimi Spidey films. I'd mark Copper's end with what defines the beginning of the Chromium age in my mind- with the launch of Image. 

4 minutes ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

What to call "now" is always a challenge compared to time and distance from the past, but clearly the "modern" era can't be 20+ years. I'd argue that the modern era (now) began with the MCU in 2008. The Movie era, specifically the MCU has transformed the hobby as we know it today.  Previous movie hype never had as dramatic an effect with Batman, Super-man, the Fox Movies (any of them) or even the Raimi Spidey films. I'd mark Copper's end with what defines the beginning of the Chromium age in my mind- with the launch of Image. 

I'd say sometime around 2011/2012, with the New 52, Marvel Now, and when previously defunct comic universes (Valiant, Dark Horse's various Comics Greatest World properties) started being published again. That leaves (if we go with my previous suggestion of 1997 or so for Heroes Reborn as the end of Copper) about 14-15 years for that interim age, which seems like a good time period for an age

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

4 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

valuable

was wizard using the modern/copper terminology? i don't have an OPG from 1991. i feel like my guide from maybe 1994 or so was using it. i don't know where it is though.

34 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'd say sometime around 2011/2012, with the New 52, Marvel Now, and when previously defunct comic universes (Valiant, Dark Horse's various Comics Greatest World properties) started being published again. That leaves (if we go with my previous suggestion of 1997 or so for Heroes Reborn as the end of Copper) about 14-15 years for that interim age, which seems like a good time period for an age

I just have a hard time extending Copper into the Image era, and post Image era, which is what Heroes Reborn really was, the concession that the big talents that defected to start Image (mostly) couldn't create enduring characters, so kiss and make-up with Marvel (and DC later for Jim Lee ) because we aren't as rich as we thought we were gonna be. Copper to me is quintessentially the Direct Market,  Pacific,  Eclipse,  The Dark Knight, Miller DD, Crisis, Secret Wars, Mutant Madness, Watchmen, Sandman, it was the Writer's era, they dominated what defined comics,  Image was the next age, all style without substance, looks over depth, gold foil scratch and sniff covers, flooding the market with unsold copies of  Turok, Trencher and Brigade. Carl Ikahn, trying to license everything to raise cash. Oversaturation of popular characters. etc etc. Very different from what was going on in 1983. Once Shooter left Marvel and was ousted from Valiant, the lunatics were running the asylum.

61-72/73-82/83-94/95-2007/2008-Present (hindsight in the future may say the MCU era ended with Endgame in 2019)

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

1 minute ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

I just have a hard time extending Copper into the Image era, and post Image era, which is what Heroes Reborn really was, the concession that the big talents that defected to start Image (mostly) couldn't create enduring characters, so kiss and make-up with Marvel (and DC later for Jim Lee ) because we aren't as rich as we thought we were gonna be. Copper to me is quintessentially the Direct Market,  Pacific,  Eclipse,  The Dark Knight, Miller DD, Crisis, Secret Wars, Mutant Madness, Watchmen, Sandman, it was the Writer's era, they dominated what defined comics,  Image was the next age, all style without substance, looks over depth, gold foil scratch and sniff covers, flooding the market with unsold copies Trencher and Brigade. Carl Ikahn, trying to license everything to raise cash. Oversaturation of popular characters. etc etc. Very differernt from what was going on in 1983. 

61-72/73-82/83-94/95-2007/2008-Present (hindsight in the future may say the MCU era eded with Endgame in 2019)

Wasn't it mostly Liefield as, by 1996, nobody was willing to look at his Image stuff? Image was cranking out lots of books in 1996-1998, with some months image having 3-4 of the top 10 books (yes, their second tier titles were not so hot), then around 1999 things started dropping off