• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,765 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, miscus555 said:

ASM300 is weird being that Venom is in 298 and 299. I know 300 is the first full Venom but people get crazy with the whole Hulk 180/181 debate. 299 has a hell of a reveal panel though

It does, hence why I mentioned a few days ago that facts are no longer important. That reveal splash is as much a first full appearance as you could ever get, with the name and everything.  But the market is set on 300 right now. That's the one to get, the one with the momentum, it's all that really matters now. The inside of the book doesn't matter much anymore, no one's reading it, it's in a case. Someone just wants to own the "first appearance of venom" so they type that on google, 300 comes up and then they buy it wherever they can at whatever price it's at.

That's why I much preffer ASM 361. That book's got it all. First full appearance with no caveats and first cover. 

Hulk 181 at least has Wolverine on the cover, so that makes sense as the favoured book to get. But ASM 300 feels much more arbitrary. As someone else said, it does have an iconic cover, but that cover is unrelated to the big first appearance within, so  ¯\_(ヅ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It does, hence why I mentioned a few days ago that facts are no longer important. That reveal splash is as much a first full appearance as you could ever get, with the name and everything.  But the market is set on 300 right now. That's the one to get, the one with the momentum, it's all that really matters now. The inside of the book doesn't matter much anymore, no one's reading it, it's in a case. Someone just wants to own the "first appearance of venom" so they type that on google, 300 comes up and then they buy it wherever they can at whatever price it's at.

That's why I much preffer ASM 361. That book's got it all. First full appearance with no caveats and first cover. 

Hulk 181 at least has Wolverine on the cover, so that makes sense as the favoured book to get. But ASM 300 feels much more arbitrary. As someone else said, it does have an iconic cover, but that cover is unrelated to the big first appearance within, so  ¯\_(ヅ)_/¯

You do realize even carnage has cameo appearances same as venom, right?

Just now, William-James88 said:

I do not

In #345 venom breaks out Eddie from prison and the piece is left behind for Cletus, the offspring carnage to be with Cletus .

In #360 there is a cameo a bit too but I haven't cracked open my raw in a minute to know the frame of it though :)

@William-James88

pretty much anytime you see "1st full" appearance, assume there were some cameo(s) before that lol 

I "think" anytime it is just a 1st app, that's when you see "1st appearance" only on the label 

idk that it matters all that much, depends on the book and preference of the collector in the end, but it can be :ohnoez: to those who just want an "official" and can be hard to ever get a definitive :sorry: 

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

hahaha, thanks for all the info, I always felt Carnage was more straightforward a key than Venom, but guess I was wrong.

Cheers man!

:tink:for sure I remember all the teases with Hobgoblin reveal, and parents not being fully on board to buy "comics" as a kid. I had to walk the grocery store and cop a squat to read without buying. It was annoying, I was young, I knew they were building with all these teases. OH HOW I WANTED THEM TO AND WISHED THEY'D GET TO THE POINT ALREADY, so that I could buy that issue lol 

Can You imagine? Oh mom I need this one for sure, look at the cover, and turns out to be an imposter goblin; reveal next issue....

ABSOLUTELY MADDENING  I tells you

#1stworldteenageproblems

:roflmao: 

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Wasn't it mostly Liefield as, by 1996, nobody was willing to look at his Image stuff? Image was cranking out lots of books in 1996-1998, with some months image having 3-4 of the top 10 books (yes, their second tier titles were not so hot), then around 1999 things started dropping off

Nobody was looking at his stuff because he didn't know what a publishing schedule was.

And '99 everything went to garbage. I stopped collecting at this point, hence it was the start of the modern age for me 

Edited by Dr. Dank
Censorship with adults is stupid. You hear me? Stupid

3 hours ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

I just have a hard time extending Copper into the Image era, and post Image era, which is what Heroes Reborn really was, the concession that the big talents that defected to start Image (mostly) couldn't create enduring characters, so kiss and make-up with Marvel (and DC later for Jim Lee ) because we aren't as rich as we thought we were gonna be. Copper to me is quintessentially the Direct Market,  Pacific,  Eclipse,  The Dark Knight, Miller DD, Crisis, Secret Wars, Mutant Madness, Watchmen, Sandman, it was the Writer's era, they dominated what defined comics,  Image was the next age, all style without substance, looks over depth, gold foil scratch and sniff covers, flooding the market with unsold copies of  Turok, Trencher and Brigade. Carl Ikahn, trying to license everything to raise cash. Oversaturation of popular characters. etc etc. Very different from what was going on in 1983. Once Shooter left Marvel and was ousted from Valiant, the lunatics were running the asylum.

61-72/73-82/83-94/95-2007/2008-Present (hindsight in the future may say the MCU era ended with Endgame in 2019)

I like to look at one of the overarching themes of the Copper Age being creator's rights. I think Archie Goodwin landing at Marvel and the launch of Epic as a good kickoff point. I think what the Image founders learned in the first few years was that it's very hard to run a consistent *shared universe* if all of the creators contributing to a shared space have complete control over what they're contributing. There is a sort of transition with Image (around what I like to point to as the end of the Copper Age), where Liefeld is booted out, Silvestri's studio sort of emerged as the big dog of the bunch, and Valentino started creating a space for a lot more indy-type comics that more resembles today's Image.

15 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Nobody was looking at his stuff because he didn't know what a publishing schedule was.

is that why? people were eagerly awaiting the next installment of .... good lord, what? didn't he start a bunch of titles and then hand them off to other artists? I think supreme might be the only one I read a chunk of, maybe badrock too, i feel like he was sort of fun.

3 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think Liefeld had a laundry list fo "characters" that he wanted to published, so he put out first issues of a number fo different books (Youngblood, Bloodstrike, Brigade, etc.) that mostly didn't go anywhere. I put characters in quotes because it was short on character. His idea of a character was a power and a name and what he thought was a cool costume, but nothing much in terms of personalities.

I have to share this, because it's funny AF. While I was brushing up on some of the history of late-90s Image, I was looking into the accusations that Liefeld was poaching some of Top Cow's talent. I googles "Liefeld poaches talent…" and, no joke, Google asked "Did you mean Liefeld pouches?"

hah. I had a short box of image books from like 1992-1996 I inherited from my brother. I had flipped through some over the years. I wound up giving most of them to goodwill to take a tax deduction. Kept the spawns and a couple of others.