• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think that all depends on what you think defines the Copper Age. I think I had a pretty good argument for extending it into the late '90s.

ehhh, I'm sorry, but Dan's right. Copper ended when Image began, its one of the most definite, easily pinpointed events that defines any of the eras which everyone debates as being fuzzy by a few years. The only thing left to debate is when does "modern" end since we is in Now, and now is "modern"  given that we are now almost 30 years since 92, we probably need to carve out 2 ages hence in addition to now.   Let's just try to agree on the major high-points of the last 30 years. You mentioned a couple in the late 90's What defines the earlier 00's? Low distribution, the rise of CGC, Decompression? the 1st wave of comic book movies? the MCU starting in 2008?  The Key/1st appearance focus of the last 5-6 years and the death of run collectors? The end of Diamond Exclusivity? 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

4 minutes ago, ft88 said:

I'll even go with the cover price on a normal DC or Marvel comic.  

10 cent - Golden Age

12 cent - Silver

15-50 - Bronze

.60-$2 - Copper

Above $2 is Modern.  

If Golden Age is simply pre-Code and Silver is Code I'd be good with that too so we cover the superhero rebirth books that are 10 cent.

As many possibilities there are to split the Gold - Copper Ages, Modern is much tougher.  From late 1990s to 2020 is a 25 year era with no real obvious break. 

Variables that make me think of modern books.

All pages are glossier and full comic boxes are heavier.  I think a long box of GA-CA weights 40 lbs whereas MA weighs 50

Artwork and coloring look computer generated (and not in a Corben kind of way)

R Rated material entered into the mainstream titles

Variants out the .

Mainstream hero characters being "replaced" become common

None of these occur in a small time window where you can call the end of Copper or break up Modern into eras, but that's ok.

I personally think of Modern as post 1992: Death of Superman, X-men 1, Spiderman 1, X-Force 1 and the start of Image and Valiant.  If I come across a long box of comics that have those comics, I think of it as a Modern comic collection.  

Which leads to the decade argument which seems good to me the more I think of it.

I agree with all of this, but Ed and I are the same age. :preach:

Modern (1990s)  Image Valiant low distro Marvel and DC

Modern 00's Mainstreaming of non DC and Marvel.  Renumbering and Variant silliness

Modern 10's MCU and other comics that become TV and Movies

Modern 20's ???

Until something big happens.

No, whatever happened in the early 90s has to start a "new age" from copper, the question is whether they next "age" should be ending at some point in the 90s (a short age, the chromium age maybe, from 1991 - 1998). I'm not sure if there is an "event" that can be pointed to, but in 1999 things start changing a lot, only a couple of books a month go over 100K, DC takes the lead on Marvel in overall market share (according to comichron... which is weird because DC often only had a few titles in the top 20, not sure where they are winning looking at comichron).. 1999 to some point in the 2000s is maybe pre-modern, when did variants become such a huge part of the business model? I know they've been around with "platinums" and such, but they were not such a big part of things until some point in the 2000s. the 608 rrp variant might have really started things, but that was not your typical store variant

46 minutes ago, the blob said:

No, whatever happened in the early 90s has to start a "new age" from copper, the question is whether they next "age" should be ending at some point in the 90s (a short age, the chromium age maybe, from 1991 - 1998). I'm not sure if there is an "event" that can be pointed to, but in 1999 things start changing a lot, only a couple of books a month go over 100K, DC takes the lead on Marvel in overall market share (according to comichron... which is weird because DC often only had a few titles in the top 20, not sure where they are winning looking at comichron).. 1999 to some point in the 2000s is maybe pre-modern, when did variants become such a huge part of the business model? I know they've been around with "platinums" and such, but they were not such a big part of things until some point in the 2000s. the 608 rrp variant might have really started things, but that was not your typical store variant

In think they're distinct portions of the same age; Early Copper and Late Copper.

48 minutes ago, the blob said:

I'm looking into this myself. From what I can tell, Marvel made incentives a big part of ordering the relaunch of the Avengers franchise. That might be a good place to look. But I didn't really notice it being a regular thing until Valiant's relaunch (because that was the focus of what I was buying)

23 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

I'd suggest a natural break point for the current era would be DC canceling their entire line and relaunching the New 52 in 2011. 

why? just another one of their endless reboots, the only difference is they did it for every title, and eventually they returned to some legacy numbering. I don't like the idea of DC, the second fiddle, dictating the ages here. At least in the early 90s all the companies were doing titanic things all in that 1991-1992 period. similarly, both DC and Marvel were doing some big shifting right around 1970. the start of copper is a bit mushier, true.

19 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm looking into this myself. From what I can tell, Marvel made incentives a big part of ordering the relaunch of the Avengers franchise. That might be a good place to look. But I didn't really notice it being a regular thing until Valiant's relaunch (because that was the focus of what I was buying)

no, too many variants was well before the valiant relaunch, started somewhere in the 2002-2006 range

Just now, the blob said:

no, too many variants was well before the valiant relaunch, started somewhere in the 2002-2006 range

DC New 52 books had so so many variants and that was 2011 and even by then the variant thing was feeling old and overplayed

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

I'm just saying that's when I noticed it. Obviously New Avengers pre-dates that by a bit. Not sure when incentives became the norm though.

10 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Everything Is a Key Age!

I wish. Nowadays I fully expect to pull at least 25 $15-25 books out of my average "misc junk" shortbox and when I don't I am kind of sad.

39 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

2DE4A53E-E5A1-4496-BB3D-F1FB5D5E0A94.jpeg

Seriously? He is on the cover of #3. Yeah, I know, in the 80s or 90s they used to pimp this book as meaning something, which is why I bought like 15 of them, but this distinction probably doesn't mean much to folks nowadays. Afterall, the first Venom solo story is worthless. of course, marvel messed up and didn't even reference it on the cover of the book!! you have to look inside to know it. and cgc does not reference it either.