• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

That seemingly fake $36K sale is still showing. Sales come off the sold section when an auction is cancelled right? If it stays up, then seemingly it could be legit. Which definitely seems very hard to believe lol, but yeah I don’t know.

3403E164-C113-4C19-BFED-065CE3D29EC1.jpeg

On 5/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, ft88 said:

I'll even go with the cover price on a normal DC or Marvel comic.  

10 cent - Golden Age

12 cent - Silver

15-50 - Bronze

.60-$2 - Copper

Above $2 is Modern.  Uiuuu

If Golden Age is simply pre-Code and Silver is Code I'd be good with that too so we cover the superhero rebirth books that are 10 cent.

As many possibilities there are to split the Gold - Copper Ages, Modern is much tougher.  From late 1990s to 2020 is a 25 year era with no real obvious break. 

Variables that make me think of modern books.

All pages are glossier and full comic boxes are heavier.  I think a long box of GA-CA weights 40 lbs whereas MA weighs 50

Artwork and coloring look computer generated (and not in a Corben kind of way)

R Rated material entered into the mainstream titles

Variants out the .

Mainstream hero characters being "replaced" become common

None of these occur in a small time window where you can call the end of Copper or break up Modern into eras, but that's ok.

I personally think of Modern as post 1992: Death of Superman, X-men 1, Spiderman 1, X-Force 1 and the start of Image and Valiant.  If I come across a long box of comics that have those comics, I think of it as a Modern comic collection.  

Which leads to the decade argument which seems good to me the more I think of it.

Frank Miller Batman CGC 9.8 exploding?

Batman 404 newsstand last two sales $1300 and $1k.

DKR#1 approaching $3k.

Have these hit the ceiling? No where to go but down?

Then again, DKR to me is more influential than ASM 300. It changed the comic format (prestige), revolutionized published colors, and of course the storytelling style which writers still use to this day.

So then again maybe we are still at the tip of the iceberg? When Marvelmania will cool down, and the Spidey and Venom movies will have passed, perhaps DKR will be the next ASM300?

Geeze so much for our generation of comics never being worth anything. Can't believe the prices on the Spidey books except there are definitely more 1st appearances. Batman for me has always been slightly more important because the stories were so much better. The exception of course was the Todd Mcfarlane books. I knew immediately when I picked up 298. I was lucky to pick up multiples through his entire run.

Totally agree though The Dark Knight Returns should be at or near the top, Batman 404- 407 unbelievably good cover to cover, Batman 400 great, Batman 417-429 excellent, 426 - 429 classic now and Detective 575- 578 undervalued and great. I purchased and read Batman 393 to 543 and Detective Comics 568- 671 as they were released. Most of them were great fun to read books. (I collected and read all three Spidey books too). Lucky and glad now to have purchased multiples of books I thought were great   

19 hours ago, jick said:

Frank Miller Batman CGC 9.8 exploding?

Batman 404 newsstand last two sales $1300 and $1k.

DKR#1 approaching $3k.

Have these hit the ceiling? No where to go but down?

Then again, DKR to me is more influential than ASM 300. It changed the comic format (prestige), revolutionized published colors, and of course the storytelling style which writers still use to this day.

So then again maybe we are still at the tip of the iceberg? When Marvelmania will cool down, and the Spidey and Venom movies will have passed, perhaps DKR will be the next ASM300?

Agreed DKR is as important as AMS 300.  let's see where this ride takes us.... Also pick up 4th prints if you can find those... rare

Maybe we are just in a Todd McFarlane craze that will subside?

I cannot believe Batman 423 is going for higher amounts that more significant issues like Year One (404-407) or Death In The Family (426-429).  423 has nothing going for it except the cover.

Maybe it's just a matter of time before 423 drops, and 404 will get the recognition it deserves?  404 is right now just a $300-400 book in CGC 9.8 - which is already much higher than months past but not close to 423.

DKR#1 should be "THE" modern grail from the copper era, not ASM 300. It changed comics entirely and the effects are still around to this day!  I'd say even at $4k for 9.8, it is still undervalued compared to ASM 300 ---or maybe it's just 300 that is over-valued now?

Again, just my opinon.  I am not CGC expert, as I have only recently started my CGC collecting (yes the worst time to buy with the prices now!)

28 minutes ago, jick said:

I cannot believe Batman 423 is going for higher amounts that more significant issues like Year One (404-407) or Death In The Family (426-429).  423 has nothing going for it except the cover.

Maybe it's just a matter of time before 423 drops, and 404 will get the recognition it deserves?  404 is right now just a $300-400 book in CGC 9.8 - which is already much higher than months past but not close to 423.

DKR#1 should be "THE" modern grail from the copper era, not ASM 300. It changed comics entirely and the effects are still around to this day!  I'd say even at $4k for 9.8, it is still undervalued compared to ASM 300 ---or maybe it's just 300 that is over-valued now?

Again, just my opinon.  I am not CGC expert, as I have only recently started my CGC collecting (yes the worst time to buy with the prices now!)

Agree so much with this. 

11 hours ago, jick said:

10 hours ago, rexinnih said:

Agree so much with this. 

Not I. 

I understand the sentiment, but I'd never want Batman 423 to fall so a book like 404 was more in-line. 

Rather see 404 increase and 423 retain it's value. 

Desirable covers have definitely seen a huge bump in the past year.  Hulk 340 is another great example (not a surprise who the artist is for both being discussed).  The sad part, and I've always hated it, is that story often matters far less to people than art.  

Also not sure why we need one book to be the defining grail.  I'm more than fine with a bunch.  Prices are going to raise and drop depending on what's going on.  Some may argue that TMNT 1 is a better book than either for this age. 

Patrick

13 hours ago, jick said:

Well it seems all Marvel book are $$$ > DC books

14 hours ago, jick said:

Significance and market value don't have a lot to do with each other in this hobby.  You are citing two very key CA books... DKR #1 was published in 1986.  You could definitely argue it is a very significant issue in regards to industry impact, BUT... it is not the book typically credited with starting the CA (that would be TMNT #1) and it is not a key first appearance of any type.  ASM #300 is a key first appearance, published 2 years after DKR #1 and demands much higher prices.

In similar fashion, look at the Bronze Age... You have Green Lantern #76 (published 1970) which is attributed as having huge industry impact (heralding an era of more adult themes and stories) AND is the book most often associated with the start of the BA.  Yet, several first appearance books of the BA sell for much, much more.  Sticking to the analogy... Marvel Spotlight #5, published 2 years after GL #76, demands many multiples of the GL #76 price in the same grade.

Significance of the story/format/industry impact each play a part in value, but the market has nearly always dictated first appearances and sometimes artists are more significant in terms of pricing.  

1 hour ago, csaag said:

Well it seems all Marvel book are $$$ > DC books

I'm a huge Marvel fan, but think this has more to do with Marvel's overwhelming success vs. DC in the movie/tv entertainment sector over the past decade.  If the DCEU ever gets its act together, the DC keys would quickly pull back up to Marvel levels.   

In collectibles, the tide can always change - as we have seen dollar bin books suddenly be worth much, and previously highly regarded books suddenly worth nothing after the realization of print runs.

I think for DC fans like myself, we can use this to our advantage.  I think most DC books - even the "key" ones like DKR - have not yet been priced too out of the stratosphere unlike some Marvel books.  So we can still get some "key" DC books at affordable prices.

For example, "reboots" really started in the post-Crisis Of Infinite Earths world.  The top 3, were the holy trinity - Wonder Woman (WW#1 George Perez), Superman (MoS #1 Byrne), and Batman (issue #404 Frank Miller).  Those are definitely key books that shaped the industry for future reboots - which both DC and Marvel seem to do every 5 years with their main characters.  Despite having top creators and characters, those comics I mentioned can be had at CGC 9.8 for $150-ish.  So those things have a lot of upside.

Meanwhile, without discounting the significance of ASM#300 - is there still anywhere higher to for than $10,000? Has the ceiling been reached?  I think there is a better chance for ASM #300 to see market correction and hit a certain dip, than for those three comics (WW#1, MoS#1, Batman #404) to go down in price.

Nothing again any of the books, but I am happy that I have not been priced out of my favorite DC books yet as honestly I am just a new entrant to the graded comics world.

6 hours ago, jick said:

Batman (issue #404 Frank Miller).  Those are definitely key books that shaped the industry for future reboots - which both DC and Marvel seem to do every 5 years with their main characters.  Despite having top creators and characters, those comics I mentioned can be had at CGC 9.8 for $150-ish. 

:takeit: x10 at $150-ish. Last 14 Batman 404 sales have been $300+