• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,803 posts in this topic

Pls tell me that was only an asking price. I never cared for that series or read it past #11 of so, and if an issue of that stinky mess is almost a grand I might just have to :sick:

There's a known manufacturing defect with that issue which I believe has been discussed somewhere on this board before which is causing the low 9.8 population. I have personally gone through hundreds of copies of this book even in dealer's overstock from the 90's where they have not been touched. Every single copy had that issue which kinda begs the question on how some copies manage to get the 9.8 grade. If you look at the 9.8 book that was sold, you can clearly see the spine defect.

I sold the first 9.8 copies to come to market. I got more than $875 for each of the copies I sold but they were private sales, so $875 for that books was a solid price.

Pls tell me that was only an asking price. I never cared for that series or read it past #11 of so, and if an issue of that stinky mess is almost a grand I might just have to :sick:

There's a known manufacturing defect with that issue which I believe has been discussed somewhere on this board before which is causing the low 9.8 population. I have personally gone through hundreds of copies of this book even in dealer's overstock from the 90's where they have not been touched. Every single copy had that issue which kinda begs the question on how some copies manage to get the 9.8 grade. If you look at the 9.8 book that was sold, you can clearly see the spine defect.

I sold the first 9.8 copies to come to market. I got more than $875 for each of the copies I sold but they were private sales, so $875 for that books was a solid price.

I assure you it was not in any way solid :insane:

Congrats to you though

I assure you it was not in any way solid :insane:

Congrats to you though

I am sure the seller would disagree.

^ I know it's an unfair comment :insane: For my pov just a completely merit less book though. Others may disagree

It's just another example of label chasing a popular character for a registry set. Not much different than what happened with the first slabbed HG Bronze or any other low pop book. Certainly no worse than paying crazy prices for 9.9s or 10s.

^ I know it's an unfair comment :insane: For my pov just a completely merit less book though. Others may disagree

It's just another example of label chasing a popular character for a registry set. Not much different than what happened with the first slabbed HG Bronze or any other low pop book. Certainly no worse than paying crazy prices for 9.9s or 10s.

Yup agreed. This book holds no significance / importance to the Marvel universe. It's all about the Wolverine collectors trying to fill their 9.8 run that's driving the high dollar.

Also worth mentioning that this particular sale was completed within just a little over 24 hours of listing it. Which may indicate that theres a healthy appetite for it

On the other hand... a book which sells without a second bidder might be the end of the demand.

The winning bidder has a copy now. The sales method ("Buy-It-Now" or "Best Offer") doesn't allow us to know anything about 2nd highest.

There might be 1,000 other potential buyers for this book... or zero. lol

Yet there are books that have more noticeable defects (Men In Black #1, Outcast #1) that get a 9.8 as well... So, I guess we'll never know.. I keep on pre-screening W#35 each time I find them in the wild in amazing condition and they keep on coming back rejected lol

Ditto. So far I have not found any rhyme or reason why a few copies made the 9.8 grade while the rest gets rejected on the pre-screen. It's almost like it depends on how the graders were feeling that day.

This also affects other books of this month, like Nam #52.

Interestingly, there are 3 copies of Nam #52 in 9.8 on the census. Those 3 were all graded between Oct 31 and Dec 4, 2008.

Interestingly enough, there's not a single other copy added to the census, 9.8 or otherwise, since then.

Punny gets no love.

PS. I have yet to see a single Wolvie #35 9.8 that merited the grade.

What happens when that single copy with not a hint of that spine tearing shows up, if it shows up...?

And what about all the other books with the same problem...?

This also affects other books of this month, like Nam #52.

Interestingly, there are 3 copies of Nam #52 in 9.8 on the census. Those 3 were all graded between Oct 31 and Dec 4, 2008.

Interestingly enough, there's not a single other copy added to the census, 9.8 or otherwise, since then.

Punny gets no love.

---

you are a treasure trove of this sort of stuff. who would have thunk a book i have ignored hundreds of times in 50 cent boxes should have garnered a second look for 9.8 potentialhood

Oh I know its just another example, but a particularly egregious one to me simply because I literally wouldn't value it a dollar for my own personal enjoyment.

Oh I know its just another example, but a particularly egregious one to me simply because I literally wouldn't value it a dollar for my own personal enjoyment.

How about the same price for a sexy Adventurers #1 Nude Variant 9.9 ;)

Yup agreed. This book holds no significance / importance to the Marvel universe. It's all about the Wolverine collectors trying to fill their 9.8 run that's driving the high dollar.

What does it matter what it's about? A data point is a data point. :sumo: