• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,769 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I sold this, It's a super tough book in 9.8. I offered it to a board member when I first got it for $350 and it was on his want list, said it wasn't centered enough, so I put it on eBay. Took about a month and half to sell.  Sold a 9.4 for $99.95 same day as I listed it.   

People who say copper is junk are really missing the boat, there's gold in them copper mines!  

Are there some common printing defects for this book? Why is it tough in grade? It's not a black cover.

9 hours ago, Comicdave said:

Are there some common printing defects for this book? Why is it tough in grade? It's not a black cover.

(shrug) Just like those couple of Wolverine books that sell for big money. And they aren't even 1st appearances.

On 8/31/2017 at 4:09 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Hellboy Seed of Destruction #1 is now a solid 220.00 book 

Maybe it's just one person putting together a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hellboy-Seed-of-Destruction-1994-4-CGC-9-8-0253499006-/362111340717?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=uUZ1NWWtghW%2FY3weo7b4Qn5BQqQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 9/29/2017 at 8:57 PM, Hamlet said:

There are five sales at over $300 this year in GPA.  Even the 9.6 and 9.4 sales are in the 70-100 range.

That seems like an awful lot for this book.

I think there are going to be a lot of submissions for this book if this keeps up.

Too funny, I was just thinking about this book the other day, as it was the very first Spider-Man book I ever bought off of the rack (at the convenient store down the street), and I was thinking I needed to get one for my comic rack at home. Hopefully I can still dig up a $1 copy somewhere!

10 hours ago, Comicdave said:

We'll see if it is tough in grade in a year or two, now that it is on people's radar.

I would have never imagined that people would pay a big premium for this book, but now that it has a little visibility, we'll see how many copies start appearing.

There are currently 14 9.8s, which is actually quite a few more than a typical Web of Spider-man issue for the time, since typically no one bothers to submit them. 

If people are going to treat Tombstone as an important character though, 14 is tiny.  Web of Spider-man 1 has almost 1000 in 9.8, for example, since there has been sustained demand for that book, and it was speculated on from day one.  I don't remember anyone caring much about Tombstone when he came out (or anytime before this, for that matter).

It will be an interesting book to watch over the next couple of years.  Is there actual sustained interest in Tombstone, or is this just short term speculation that will move on to something else next year?

On 10/2/2017 at 12:04 AM, Comicdave said:

Nope, it just is. People need to remember that this era was considered junk for years, thrown around in back issue bins with the other misfit comics only for people to realize "hey...wait a minute...:  

On 10/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, Kevin76 said:

Nope, it just is. People need to remember that this era was considered junk for years, thrown around in back issue bins with the other misfit comics only for people to realize "hey...wait a minute...:  

I would imagine the print run for this wasn't huge.  I bought all of the spider man titles off the stands at the time, and I remember Web of Spider-man being mostly terrible from both an art and story standpoint.   I remember my friends suggesting that I could probably get by without this series, and I never really could argue against them :) 

I'll have to take a look at my copy and refresh my memory of this issue.

6 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Tombstone was a kooky character and the only reason he is getting any pub right now is movie/tv spec.  None of those web books are particularly hard to find in high grade.  Expect a flood if those prices continue.

Though I agree with you, I've enjoyed him a bit more in the recent Ultimate Spider-man book. 

The tough part is that other Spider-man villians are Tombstone and so much more.  Like Kingpin. 

Patrick

On 10/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, Hamlet said:

I would imagine the print run for this wasn't huge.  I bought all of the spider man titles off the stands at the time, and I remember Web of Spider-man being mostly terrible from both an art and story standpoint.   I remember my friends suggesting that I could probably get by without this series, and I never really could argue against them :) 

I'll have to take a look at my copy and refresh my memory of this issue.

Nothing was really "huge" at that time. But there was nothing small about Web's print run/distribution. It wasn't Uncanny X-Men, but neither was it significantly smaller than ASM.

12 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Nothing was really "huge" at that time. But there was nothing small about Web's print run/distribution. It wasn't Uncanny X-Men, but neither was it significantly smaller than ASM.

Do you have a source for that?  I can't imagine that there were many people who bought Web of Spider-man that didn't buy ASM, but I would expect lots of people did the reverse.

I was a pretty dedicated Spidey collector, and I remember questioning whether Web was worth getting.

I'm not saying I would expect it to be a tiny print run, but I would expect ASM to be significantly higher.

40 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

Do you have a source for that?  I can't imagine that there were many people who bought Web of Spider-man that didn't buy ASM, but I would expect lots of people did the reverse.

I was a pretty dedicated Spidey collector, and I remember questioning whether Web was worth getting.

I'm not saying I would expect it to be a tiny print run, but I would expect ASM to be significantly higher.

Of course the flagship title was higher, but it's not like they were in different tiers at the time. During the peak of the industry, ASM was well above Web, but that was years later.

Statements of Ownership from the June 1988 issues (ASM 301 & Web 39):

Avg. print run: 469,913 (ASM) 437,255 (Web)

Avg. distribution: 284,824 (ASM) 243,007 (Web)

On 10/6/2017 at 1:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

Of course the flagship title was higher, but it's not like they were in different tiers at the time. During the peak of the industry, ASM was well above Web, but that was years later.

Statements of Ownership from the June 1988 issues (ASM 301 & Web 39):

Avg. print run: 469,913 (ASM) 437,255 (Web)

Avg. distribution: 284,824 (ASM) 243,007 (Web)

I'm not a student of these numbers, so this is an honest question: From an accounting standpoint wouldn't there be a natural tendency (for any business) to inflate the "print" (production) numbers and deflate the "distribution" (income) numbers? hm

37 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Yes and Yes, There's plenty of hard to find books out there that don't command big money.  

I think what he meant was, it's supply and demand not just demand