• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Lonzilla said:

Give it time.

People buying #22 only see "1st Daniel" and hit the BIN button.

People who read the series know that #69 is when Daniel becomes Dream.

Buy low, sell high.

Hmm, reminds me of Gotham City Sirens / Tec 850 and people trying to push other books.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Hmm, reminds me of Gotham City Sirens / Tec 850 and people trying to push other books.

Hmm, reminds me of the time we used logic, precedent, and comparable characters and circumstances in order to determine which first appearance of a character would likely be accepted by the market to be the most desirable. If you aren't going to take the blanket stance that the earliest depiction (not even necessarily a visual one) of any form of a character, no matter how slight, is to be accepted as that character's first appearance then this is the way it has to be done. And since the market doesn't have that stance, here we are. 

Human infant first appearances aren't exactly highly sought after as a character's first appearance (Cable, Damian Wayne, Jon Kent) compared to their debuts as finished adult/matured characters. Nor are human alter-ego appearances (Scott Lang) of mantle characters (Ant Man) before they assume their secret identities, barring a significant passing in time between the two as is the case with Carol Danvers and Bill Foster.

If someone were so inclined to read more about the Daniel Hall version of Dream that appears in this week's Dark Nights Metal issue then the book they are most likely to be interested in would be Sandman #69. Daniel takes over for Morpheus, becomes the new Dream, and his story effectively begins there. Outside of the beginning of the Kindly Ones story arc in Sandman, between issue #22 and #69 nothing much happens with the Daniel Hall character since you know, he's a baby.

If I was just here pushing books I could just use the accepted stand-bys:

Issue 69 has a dark cover therefore its impossible to find in high grade.

Issue 69 has a lower print run compared to issue 22 because it occurred towards the end of the series but before the print run ramped back up in anticipation of the series ending.   

Neither of those are necessary though, since the content in issue 69 trumps whats on the pages in issue 22.

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

Hmm, reminds me of the time we used logic, precedent, and comparable characters and circumstances in order to determine which first appearance of a character would likely be accepted by the market to be the most desirable. If you aren't going to take the blanket stance that the earliest depiction (not even necessarily a visual one) of any form of a character, no matter how slight, is to be accepted as that character's first appearance then this is the way it has to be done. And since the market doesn't have that stance, here we are. 

Human infant first appearances aren't exactly highly sought after as a character's first appearance (Cable, Damian Wayne, Jon Kent) compared to their debuts as finished adult/matured characters. Nor are human alter-ego appearances (Scott Lang) of mantle characters (Ant Man) before they assume their secret identities, barring a significant passing in time between the two as is the case with Carol Danvers and Bill Foster.

Not that I really disagree with your premise, but how do you accurately measure demand? Price can't do it unless you know the issues you're comparing have virtually identical supply.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Not that I really disagree with your premise, but how do you accurately measure demand? Price can't do it unless you know the issues you're comparing have virtually identical supply.

I didn't use the word demand. If there are several books that can be considered a character's first appearance it should be relatively easy for one to figure out which of those books is more desirable based on available sales data.

19 minutes ago, darkstar said:

I didn't use the word demand. If there are several books that can be considered a character's first appearance it should be relatively easy for one to figure out which of those books is more desirable based on available sales data.

Um... desirability = demand, at least in this context.

Again, price cannot be used in that way due to supply differences (not to mention other demand factors). It's why people are always questioning why Character X's first brief appearance is considered his "real" first appearance (just because it's worth more) but Character Y's first full appearance is considered his "real" first appearance (just because it's worth more).

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Again, price cannot be used in that way due to supply differences (not to mention other demand factors). It's why people are always questioning why Character X's first brief appearance is considered his "real" first appearance (just because it's worth more) but Character Y's first full appearance is considered his "real" first appearance (just because it's worth more).

People use the term first appearance as short-hand to describe a character's most valuable appearance among their earliest appearances. Hulk 181 isn't the first appearance of Wolverine, neither technically nor literally, but it is referred to as Wolverine's first appearance because it is a lot easier to reference and cite that instead of saying well technically Wolverine appeared first briefly in an earlier book and maybe a prototype also occurred elsewhere first but blah blah blah.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
6 hours ago, darkstar said:

Now, now, my alter egos, it wouldn't look good to be openly disagreeing with myself...

:D

4 hours ago, divad said:

Thanks to DS and Lonzilla  (thumbsu for the info and everyone else for their opinions - we're all friends here. It's not a competition. :bigsmile:

That's why were all here, though not as often since they "improved" the board layout.

I was a faithful Sandman reader from issue #1 the day it came out until somewhere in the 50's, whenever Hempel's art completely ruined whatever enjoyment I was still getting out of it.

My girl has all of the TPB's and when I told her that Daniel/Dream was going to be in the Dark Nights Metal, she said, "oh, you never read Morpheus's death, did you?" So I read the last couple TPB's, man Hempel's art is so cartoony and horrible (*disclaimer, I loved Gregory when he did it for Piranha Press), and after re-reading #22 and #69 now, I have to throw in my 2 cents and say the issue 69 is the one. But whatever, I'll sell them to whoever is paying more for whichever one

12 hours ago, darkstar said:

People use the term first appearance as short-hand to describe a character's most valuable appearance among their earliest appearances. Hulk 181 isn't the first appearance of Wolverine, neither technically nor literally, but it is referred to as Wolverine's first appearance because it is a lot easier to reference and cite that instead of saying well technically Wolverine appeared first briefly in an earlier book and maybe a prototype also occurred elsewhere first but blah blah blah.

That's not how people use the phrase. 181 is Wolvie's first FULL appearance. That's all it's short for.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:20 AM, JTLarsen said:

That's not how people use the phrase. 181 is Wolvie's first FULL appearance. That's all it's short for.

Sure it is, because the first full appearance of a character does not always sell for the highest price.