• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,797 posts in this topic

Could the horror theme of the Kitty Pryde "143" be another reason they pushed back New Mutants?  Two horror mutant movies back to back may be what they are looking to throw at movie goers.

11 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Maybe the alien in 143 could end up a Brood, which would make sense if other X-Men are involved in the movie. 

With the Disney acquisition of 20th Century Fox's entertainment division, wouldn't it be cool (assuming the rights were involved) if the Brood become the Giger Aliens in a movie? They're basically a swipe of them anyway.

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

A pinup is a full-page image. The sketches in MA82 are illustrations to accompany upcoming plans for the New Mutants title. I see a difference

Fair enough. Neither is in a story though. But there is actually more information about Cable in the MA.

I think my biggest gripe is for once we have a somewhat accepted authority in CGC, but they are inconsistent at best in the determination methods.

1st appearances should never be in a non-story pin up or promo.  You have books like X-Men Annual 14 being designated as Gambit cameo but a pin up is called the 1st appearance?  Just weak on so many different levels.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

1st appearances should never be in a non-story pin up or promo.  You have books like X-Men Annual 14 being designated as Gambit cameo but a pin up is called the 1st appearance?  Just weak on so many different levels.

Exactly, I think they decide by flipping a coin or one of those 18 sided die that the kids use in those shops that used to sell comics.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Exactly, I think they decide by flipping a coin or one of those 18 sided die that the kids use in those shops that used to sell comics.

18 sides dice?  Do they make those now?  Back in my day we had 10 sided and 20 sided dice.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

How the heck does that happen when perfectly normal copies are sitting at BIN for 10$

I was bidding on a few items of their magazine listings and it was the same 2 guys just really going at it on all of those Savage Sword of Conans that hit really high. Also noted the Marvel Super Specials with Jaws 2 and the Blade Runner did really well.

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

How the heck does that happen when perfectly normal copies are sitting at BIN for 10$

52 minutes ago, boomtown said:

I was bidding on a few items of their magazine listings and it was the same 2 guys just really going at it on all of those Savage Sword of Conans that hit really high. Also noted the Marvel Super Specials with Jaws 2 and the Blade Runner did really well.

That seller tends to get get over market for their books.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

That seller tends to get get over market for their books.

Yeah well he got 15x more than what its worth raw, thats just insane.. 

Sparkle city auctions are kinda like that also, but they usually grade them as "9.8" and take tons of sexy pics of their books

On 2/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, ygogolak said:

Fair enough. Neither is in a story though. But there is actually more information about Cable in the MA.

I think my biggest gripe is for once we have a somewhat accepted authority in CGC, but they are inconsistent at best in the determination methods.

I don't disagree with this. but that it why I mentioned "creative content," rather than "story." Because in the case of Gwenpool, my gut said that the cover of the Secret Wars issue is the important book, and it's not attached to a story. "Creative content" as I see it, is not something that's used to sell comics, but would be the thing that you're buying a new book for.

That's why I see the Marvel Age previews (such as Darkhawk) to be not as important as the comic that the story appears in. Even though the exact same content is printed, in Marvel Age the printed content is in service to advertise the upcoming book, and in Darkhawk it's the thing you're paying for. Similarly, the Liefeld Sketchbook serves as information of what you can expect if you buy an upcoming issue of New Mutants.

5 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't disagree with this. but that it why I mentioned "creative content," rather than "story." Because in the case of Gwenpool, my gut said that the cover of the Secret Wars issue is the important book, and it's not attached to a story. "Creative content" as I see it, is not something that's used to sell comics, but would be the thing that you're buying a new book for.

That's why I see the Marvel Age previews (such as Darkhawk) to be not as important as the comic that the story appears in. Even though the exact same content is printed, in Marvel Age the printed content is in service to advertise the upcoming book, and in Darkhawk it's the thing you're paying for. Similarly, the Liefeld Sketchbook serves as information of what you can expect if you buy an upcoming issue of New Mutants.

It's as clear as mud.

Cable

1st imagery - Marvel Age #82

1st comic story - Uncanny X-Men #201 (baby)

1st comic story as Cable - New Mutants #87

CGC Label:
UXM 201 - 1st appearance of Cable as Baby Nathan

New Mutants #87 - 1st appearance of Cable

Shatterstar

1st imagery - New Mutants Annual #6

1st comic story - New Mutants #99

CGC Label - New Mutants Annual #6

Darkhawk

1st imagery - Marvel Age #97 (cover image, not in story preview)

1st comic story - Darkhawk #1

CGC Label - Darkhawk #1

Gwenpool

1st imagery - Deadpool / Hawkeye #0 (cosplay / costume)

1st cover - Deadpool's Secret Wars #2 variant

1st comic story - Howard the Duck #1

CGC Label - Howard the Duck #1

DPSW says "Gwenpool cover"

Domino

1st imagery - New Mutants #98

1st comic story as real Domino - X-Force #8

Creator's opinion of 1st appearance - X-Force #11

CGC Label - X-Force #11

Batman who Laugh's

1st imagery / comic story - Teen Titans #12 / Metal #2

Creator's opinion of 1st appearance - Metal #2

CGC Label - ???

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

It's as clear as mud.

Cable

1st imagery - Marvel Age #82

1st comic story - Uncanny X-Men #201 (baby)

1st comic story as Cable - New Mutants #87

CGC Label:
UXM 201 - 1st appearance of Cable as Baby Nathan

New Mutants #87 - 1st appearance of Cable

Shatterstar

1st imagery - New Mutants Annual #6

1st comic story - New Mutants #99

CGC Label - New Mutants Annual #6

Darkhawk

1st imagery - Marvel Age #97 (cover image, not in story preview)

1st comic story - Darkhawk #1

CGC Label - Darkhawk #1

Gwenpool

1st imagery - Deadpool / Hawkeye #0 (cosplay / costume)

1st cover - Deadpool's Secret Wars #2 variant

1st comic story - Howard the Duck #1

CGC Label - Howard the Duck #1

DPSW says "Gwenpool cover"

Domino

1st imagery - New Mutants #98

1st comic story as real Domino - X-Force #8

Creator's opinion of 1st appearance - X-Force #11

CGC Label - X-Force #11

Batman who Laugh's

1st imagery / comic story - Teen Titans #12 / Metal #2

Creator's opinion of 1st appearance - Metal #2

CGC Label - ???

You're lumping different things into the category of "imagery." Some people like to conflate "imagery" and the term "appearance" as it applies to comic collecting, but I think the latter has a generally accepted historical meaning that doesn't include marketing or editorial content.

But agreed that CGC is inconsistent about the labeling. It would be nice if a large group of comics experts could come together and establish terminology that could be used industry-wide, similar to Overstreet's Grading Guide. I see many different categories that could be established to clarify a character's depiction/appearance history.