• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,721 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

We probably should adopt an "over 20 years old" rule for this Copper Age category, or at least a "Copper Age and up to 1999 Comics" mindset.  There's so much focus on books 2010 to present in the Modern Age section that any books with two decades of history belong elsewhere.  Copper Age has basically become "more recent than Bronze but still old enough to vote".  

That's very good, did you make that up? :baiting:

On 10/1/2018 at 11:31 AM, valiantman said:

We probably should adopt an "over 20 years old" rule for this Copper Age category, or at least a "Copper Age and up to 1999 Comics" mindset.  There's so much focus on books 2010 to present in the Modern Age section that any books with two decades of history belong elsewhere.  Copper Age has basically become "more recent than Bronze but still old enough to vote".  

Using this as a guideline, I think the prices for ASM 361 are going to get even crazier following the release of Venom this weekend. All the sub-$500 CGC 9.8s have been scooped up off eBay today.

On 9/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 9/25/2018 at 8:53 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

"reprint", as used in the comic industry, is just a catch-all term to describe any reproduction....or reprinting...of a previously published work, regardless of format.

"2nd print", "3rd print", etc, generally...not always, but usually...means a specific reprinting in the same format.

So, while all 2nd printings are reprints, not all reprints are 2nd printings, etc.

In other words...in Marvel Tales #1 (1964), you find a reprint of Journey Into Mystery #83. But it is NOT a "2nd printing", because it's not in the same format as the original.

Whereas, even with different covers, a 2nd printing of Batman #608 is properly called a 2nd printing because it's in the same format...a single issue comic...rather than the more generic reprint, even though it is both.

Like so many other things in this hobby, there are probably books that fall into a little bit of a gray area with this. For example, the reprints of Action Comics in the late '80s are pretty clearly reprints, as it onyl reprinted the Superman story. I'd say the same of the Marvel Milestone series, especially since the price was a lot more. The Chromium Amazing Spider-man 300? Probably a reprint, since a pretty significant time had passed, and the production of the cover was different. But what about New Mutants 87? Cover price is different (because about a year had passed between first and second print) and an additional gold ink was used. But it still feels like a second print. But then those differences also occur on the Amazing Spider-man 101 & 265 books from around the same time, but they feel more like reprints than second prints.

I think this is one of those areas where collecting is more of an art form than a science.

They are all reprints. Whether they are called "2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, etc etc etc) prints" has historically depended on the format of the book, as recognized by the comic collecting community at large, AND the element of time: was it reprinted in a short amount of time, based on initial demand for the original, or was it reprinted much later? The Action #1 reprints aren't "second printings", because they're not printed in the same format as the original issue. They're only a partial reprint of that original book. Is ASM #300 chromium in the same format as the original? Sure, it's a single issue comic...but there are enough significant differences...in addition to the element of time...that they're not "second printings", as those are recognized.

Batman #436 has a second printing which was made shortly after the first. Batman #428 does not have a second printing, but WAS reprinted in trade paperback form shortly after it was published. The Death In The Family Trade has a reprint of Batman #428 (as well as #s 426, 427, and 429.) 

Are ASM #101 and #265 (and Cap #282, and Marvel Milestones, and Classic X-Men, etc etc etc) "second" printings? Marvel called ASM #101 and #265...as well as the others...."second prints."  Does that make it so? I don't think so, but you'd have a hard time convincing others. Sure, they're single issue comics...but there are enough differences, including the element of time, that distinguish them from the originals. Are Star Wars ##1-6 reprints, or "second" (or third, or fourth) printings? Marvel didn't distinguish between print runs, so we don't know. IS GI Joe #2 just a reprint, or does it have a real "second printing"? The first was printed four years before the second. That's a lot of time, BUT...it was produced in virtually the same format, so it's probably safe to call it a second print.

As with everything, there are always exceptions. There are enough examples that follow these general rules that a generalization CAN be made. 

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

They are all reprints. Whether they are called "2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, etc etc etc) prints" has historically depended on the format of the book, as recognized by the comic collecting community at large, AND the element of time: was it reprinted in a short amount of time, based on initial demand for the original, or was it reprinted much later? The Action #1 reprints aren't "second printings", because they're not printed in the same format as the original issue. They're only a partial reprint of that original book. Is ASM #300 chromium in the same format as the original? Sure, it's a single issue comic...but there are enough significant differences...in addition to the element of time...that they're not "second printings", as those are recognized.

Batman #436 has a second printing which was made shortly after the first. Batman #428 does not have a second printing, but WAS reprinted in trade paperback form shortly after it was published. The Death In The Family Trade has a reprint of Batman #428 (as well as #s 426, 427, and 429.) 

Are ASM #101 and #265 (and Cap #282, and Marvel Milestones, and Classic X-Men, etc etc etc) "second" printings? Marvel called ASM #101 and #265...as well as the others...."second prints."  Does that make it so? I don't think so, but you'd have a hard time convincing others. Sure, they're single issue comics...but there are enough differences, including the element of time, that distinguish them from the originals. Are Star Wars ##1-6 reprints, or "second" (or third, or fourth) printings? Marvel didn't distinguish between print runs, so we don't know. IS GI Joe #2 just a reprint, or does it have a real "second printing"? The first was printed four years before the second. That's a lot of time, BUT...it was produced in virtually the same format, so it's probably safe to call it a second print.

As with everything, there are always exceptions. There are enough examples that follow these general rules that a generalization CAN be made. 

Understood that they're all reprints. It was identifying as a 2nd, 3rd, etc. that gets hazy. Hulk 377 3rd falls into this category too, I'd say. 

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If we're going by "initial demand for the original," then New Mutants 87 2nd should only be considered a reprint as well.

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

including the element of time,

This is what makes a second printing, a second printing - anything beyond a month or two is either a "reprint" or a manufactured collectible.  When second printings started, no serious collector embraced them. It has only become recently (in the last 20 years - lol ) fashionable.

10 hours ago, divad said:

This is what makes a second printing, a second printing - anything beyond a month or two is either a "reprint" or a manufactured collectible.  When second printings started, no serious collector embraced them. It has only become recently (in the last 20 years - lol ) fashionable.

What if a "2nd Print" comes out the same day?

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

What if the 2nd print come out before the 1st print?

Chicken or the egg.

But seriously, there was a title this year or last I believe where the 1st and 2nd print were released the same day.

Edit:

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Chicken or the egg.

But seriously, there was a title this year or last I believe where the 1st and 2nd print were released the same day.

Edit:

There were several Valiant first issues (A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong; and Harbinger: Renegade) that had second prints released the same day. I imagine that these were planned all along, to get another "variant" out there 

20 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There were several Valiant first issues (A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong; and Harbinger: Renegade) that had second prints released the same day. I imagine that these were planned all along, to get another "variant" out there 

I think it's a good sign that they are printing close to what is ordered. They print those and move onto the next book. If they sell out of the extras quick, they can throw the plates back on and get more printed as a second print. They print these well before they are shipped out to Diamond and then the stores.

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

4 bids and ending at $4.25! Can you imagine selling an item with 4 bids and it only ends up at $4.25? 

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

On a somewhat related note, Venom the movie is getting panned in the early reviews. I wonder if ASM 252 & 300, SW 8 and other related books will feel the effects.

Edited by Murphman13

3 hours ago, Murphman13 said:

On a somewhat related note, Venom the movie is getting panned in the early reviews. I wonder if ASM 252 & 300, SW 8 and other related books will feel the effects.

Definetely not!  Or until I finish selling my copies :)

5 hours ago, Murphman13 said:

Prediction:  Venom does not do so well at the box office.  The sequel is scrapped.  Sony has serious doubts about the future of their non-Spidey Spidey Universe.  Disney will make a new deal with Sony which will allow Venom, Black Cat, Morbius, Silver Sable, Kraven and the rest of the Spider-Man universe to become part of the sandbox that Marvel Studios can now creatively play in.  Venom will be recast and reappear in about 7 years in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  There will be a symbiotes versus Spidey and the Avengers (in whatever form that team is in at the time) movie.  The X-Men will be well integrated into the MCU at this point too.  

If prices drop on Venom/Carnage issues after this weekend...they may be worth picking up for the long haul.  X-Men first appearances are also going to heat up as the characters are recast and reintroduced into the MCU.

This could all be wishful thinking; I have a lot of X-Men, Venom and Spidey books.