• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,807 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, LordRahl said:

For comparison, Thanos appears in 13 panels and 3 of them are of his foot. No one is questioning that is his first appearance even though it is "brief".

Thanos is an important and active part of the story. Gambit is only there because they needed Storm in the book, and he could be erased from all but the one page without consequence.

6 minutes ago, divad said:

A "cameo" can never be a 1st Appearance, as a cameo is defined as a unexpected brief appearance of a known person or character. Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon make cameo appearances in comics. Many super-heroes do also, but they (like Reagan and Nixon, and the Beatles for that matter) have already made a first appearance elsewhere. :sumo:

(thumbsu

8 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

"Cameo" does seem a bit misleading. What would be better? Maybe "Teaser 1st Appearance".

I like "teaser" to describe a brief appearance that's not tied into the main story of the issue. Like Hulk 180. It teases the next issue. "Teasers" and "cameos" are a subset of brief appearances. Gambit's appearance in the annual is inconsequential, so can be fairly described as a "brief" appearance. The fact that the publishing schedule for annuals necessitated that annual 14 be published before Uncanny 266 is important as well. It's clear from reading the books that the creative intent was to introduce Gambit in Uncanny 266. There's no argument about which book that included Gambit was published first. That's a matter of fact. But which book is more desirable is a matter of opinion, and I think it's clear that that book is Uncanny 266. (And I say this as someone who owns a single copy of 266 – which probably isn't leaving my collection – and six to eight copies of the Annual, two graded as 9.8s, so I have a financial interest in this not being the case.)

11 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

"Cameo" does seem a bit misleading. What would be better? Maybe "Teaser 1st Appearance".

Teaser is much better choice as many times the character appears in the last panel of the issue teasing the next issue. 

Regardless of what technically is the first appearance or cameo or teaser or whatever, the market determines what it most desirable and not an individual (or individuals) who have facts or definitions to back them up.

So my personal opinions on Jimmy Olsen #134 or Hulk #271 or X-Men #266 are practically meaningless; the market has made the decision for me (and us).

Edited by RCheli
(Corrected subject/verb agreement)

5 hours ago, RCheli said:

Regardless of what technically is the first appearance or cameo or teaser or whatever, the market determines what it most desirable and not an individual (or individuals) who have facts or definitions to back them up.

So my personal opinions on Jimmy Olsen #134 or Hulk #271 or X-Men #266 are practically meaningless; the market has made the decision for me (and us).

But, but, but . . . the Market is  . . . wrong. :cry:

:acclaim:

On 12/1/2018 at 10:49 PM, Lazyboy said:

No.

He's relevant to one page of a 40-page story. So what if he's (partially) drawn into the background in a few more group shots?

Perceived "relevance" has nothing to do with a first appearance...

-Darkseid

Edited by AGGIEZ

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:
29 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

1976 is Copper?!? :ohnoez:

Certainly not, but a tough book and no one better to buy it from. :sumo:

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:
36 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

1976 is Copper?!? :ohnoez:

Early Copper.  Like a cameo.  Before the full appearance of Copper.

19 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yup I got all jumbled up when I saw it... I remember when this book was dubbed 1st Dave Stevens work back in my copper years of collecting (from Chuck), It was on my radar back then as it is now...

I've bought a few over the years but have never had one worthy of slabbing. Cool book!

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
18 hours ago, 500Club said:

Have you ever been to the legendary warehouse in Steinbach?

I have not.

It's a trick.  500Club is going to take you out behind a warehouse and tell you to picture a place across the river where you get to tend the rabbits.