• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,765 posts in this topic

Looks like pretty much anything with the Spidey black suit is doing well.  Just sold a Transformers 3 in nice shape with the black suit for $10 and a few others have sold this week.  Not huge money but with Web of Spidey #1 picking up speed there seems to be a push for all things black suit spidey.

16 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is so odd to me. This era was a point when comics were bagged & boarded before hitting the shelves and everything was speculation fodder. The only way I could see them being "hardly cared for" is after the crash when people were dumping them for pennies on the dollar, but I would think most LCS's or private individuals that might've been absorbing during the exodus still would've kept them bagged and boarded. Also, ASM 361 was incredibly hot the day it came out -- Carnage's introduction was telegraphed so far in advance, everyone knew it was coming and stocked up. There's no reason why there shouldn't be thousands of high-grade copies out there.

I won't argue high grade copies out there, but possibly not 9.8s. To save space, at least for me when I had my store and my friend when he had his 4 stores, we stored 5-10 copies per one bag/board. Spine dings and stacking bends would probably be common. Possibly could press out. Some stores would just put books in bags only, thus creating a higher chance for spine dings.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:48 AM, Dogsupreme said:

This is interesting to note that copper age books have surged as of recent. More so than silver and bronze (except maybe the key books). I believe that the kids who grew up during this period are now grown with disposable income and the lack of high grade copies (let's face it books during this era were treated like trash).  Plus it has yet to be fully strip mined. Lots of great 1st appearances (Silver Sable, Darkhawk, Hobgoblin, Amethyst, etc) and movie potential. The only drawback are sheer numbers. By this time the speculation boom was in full effect, but lots of variants (with low runs) and 2nd and 3rd printings.

Death of Superman anyone? Anyone?

These books were not treated like trash. Even kids that were reading this dross were bagging and boarding the books. All books with a collectible history were treated as collectibles.  So there may have been some attrition with Brute Force #1, or Slapstick or Speedball, but not with ASM.

On 6/25/2017 at 2:58 AM, Kevin76 said:

ASM 361 isn't even copper, it's modern. 

Copper books in 9.8 aren't exactly the easiest books to find in the wild. No one hardly cared for them. Now people are digging through quarter boxes for them

361 was always a book to set to the side and put in with a bag and board.  Sure, it might have been a $5 book, but that's something.

The problem with 361 is that there are lots of copies with printer tears at the bottom of the cover. If they're bad enough, it will probably not be a 9.8. Also, the staples are not too stable and small tears will occur.

Edited by Philflound

34 minutes ago, Philflound said:

The problem with 361 is that there are lots of copies with printer tears at the bottom of the cover. If they're bad enough, it will probably not be a 9.8. Also, the staples are not too stable and small tears will occur.

I thought printer tears, not being "damage" wouldn't necessarily disqualify it from a 9.8. Certainly you're not getting better than that.

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I thought printer tears, not being "damage" wouldn't necessarily disqualify it from a 9.8. Certainly you're not getting better than that.

I have no idea what you're saying here.

42 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Those are tears caused by the folder pins above the cutting rubbers, they are there to help pull the ribbons through the folder, they are supposed to get cut off when the books are trimmed but obviously the pressman was having a problem with that and saved the copies anyway, cause technically they are still good copies from a printing standard but not an OCD collector stand point.  

On June 26, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Philflound said:

Not to mention it is one of the most tragically mis-wrapped books of the modern era.

On 6/26/2017 at 8:58 PM, Philflound said:

There are countless copies of graded 9.8 ASM 361s with tears along the bottom edge that go through the entire book. CGC does not care. 

ASM #361 still seems to be going for some crazy prices in some sales, would the announcement of an A-list or B-list actor portraying the character in the Venom movie push #361 even higher, or we already at the ceiling as far as sale prices?

44 minutes ago, Illustrious said:

ASM #361 still seems to be going for some crazy prices in some sales, would the announcement of an A-list or B-list actor portraying the character in the Venom movie push #361 even higher, or we already at the ceiling as far as sale prices?

I had 2 9.8s. Just sold one, but will hold the other a little longer.

On 2017-06-23 at 0:00 AM, divad said:

I dunno, I'd say it's doing a smite better than that! :grin:

Available any day of the week for a $1.00,  70 cents for my southern brothers.  I sold an X-Men #12 CGC 8.0, a good run of Strange Tales as well as ASM's out of the shop today, but nobody bought a single copy of the Spidey #1 for a dollar.

Jim

IMG_1746.JPG

5 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Available any day of the week for a $1.00,  70 cents for my southern brothers.  I sold an X-Men #12 CGC 8.0, a good run of Strange Tales as well as ASM's out of the shop today, but nobody bought a single copy of the Spidey #1 for a dollar.

Jim

IMG_1746.JPG

I would suggest limiting how many copies you have out at any one time and raise the price.

i see comments all the time, even on these boards, that when people see 10 copies at one time they think it should effect price and it will drop the market value. It seems most people don't understand how minimal 10, 20, 100 copies is when 100k or 1 million in this case are printed.