• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, the blob said:

I remember it being on a comic shop wall for $20, but who knows, the early 90s were wacky.

as for being sought after...I had always been abe to sell it for 2X guide or so, as guide was just a few bucks. which, for a 1980s non-key, was pretty good. but i probably have not tried to sell one for 2-3 years. people buy it as evidenced by completed sales and it is better than a $2 book. i just figured in this era of hysteria where so many books are $15-20, regardless of having healthy print-runs, that it would have crept up there. I will keep on buying it when I see it, but I am just surprised slabbed SS books do not do better and that nice raw copies are not consistently double digits, but I guess nobody cares about appearances, but they do care about iconic covers?

Yah, I could be misremembering, but while it was iconic (was in the posters in Cap 400) I never remember it being a high price.  Then again, I haven't seen an early 90's price guide since the early 90's :)  I remember drooling over Cap 332, which was around $10 at the time, but don't remember much else in the 250-400 range being really a stand out.  But again I'm going off of a 10 year olds memory from 25+ years ago.  I need to hunt down an old copy of Wizard.  Its a fantastic cover, and I've wanted one for a long time, might have to jump on one sooner than later.

The other one I still feel is a bit undervalued is cap 332.  Was my biggest key back in the day.

Edited by waaaghboss

22 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

xD This is the moment the hobby switches to low grades being sought after.

If that happens, I'll have to start under-grading my books . . . :whistle:

Edited by divad

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:00 PM, s.krank said:

His delusional prices aren't limited to that one auction.

I don't know if its a true indication of a book being hot but it does show you how strange E-Bay can be sometimes.  I've had a NM copy of Sandman 1 up for sale for at least 6 months.  It started out priced at $100 and I've dropped it down a buck or two each month and rejected several offers in the $50 - $60 range and have countered in the $80 - $85 range since the BIN price is now $92.  Had a couple guys offering at around $55 - $65 and I've been going back and forth with these two guys and held my ground at $80 which was really close with one of them.  Both reject $80 earlier this week and it sells for $92 today.  So Sandman 1 seems to be at least in demand if 3 guys are looking to buy.

10 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I don't know if its a true indication of a book being hot but it does show you how strange E-Bay can be sometimes.  I've had a NM copy of Sandman 1 up for sale for at least 6 months.  It started out priced at $100 and I've dropped it down a buck or two each month and rejected several offers in the $50 - $60 range and have countered in the $80 - $85 range since the BIN price is now $92.  Had a couple guys offering at around $55 - $65 and I've been going back and forth with these two guys and held my ground at $80 which was really close with one of them.  Both reject $80 earlier this week and it sells for $92 today.  So Sandman 1 seems to be at least in demand if 3 guys are looking to buy.

I think it shows that you didn't need $65. :grin: 

Seriously, $92 is a great price. I generally don't lower prices once I set them, as I haven't found that to increase interest that much. Under $100 sales is all about disposable income for the buyer. The others were probably "hold and sell later when it peaks" collectors.

I had a nice Shazam #1 up for $56 for a couple of weeks and sitting in a few buyers carts. Ebay kept sending me those annoying messages to drop the price and seal the deal! Rather than drop it I bumped it up 15% to $65 and it sold the next day. Not sure if it was one of the people who had it in their cart.

Lesson of the day, don't under price your books, people will think there is something wrong with them.

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I have trouble finding Bat 423 in sellable condition most of them are beat to hell I find.

I got two last week but only one in great shape. I bought all those comics last week actually, still able to get cheap 2099s. I stumbled into the 2099 manifest destiny as well at a good price.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't really get the increase in price of 2099 books. Its not the first app, but I guess its similar to Darkhawk 1.(Which isn't the 
first app either.)

Sometimes the first meaningful appearance matters.  I bought both Spidey 2099 and ASM 365 off the rack.  I never knew that ASM365 was technically the first appearance until a few weeks ago.

If I had to choose one to collect (without speculating on value or reselling) I'd pick 2099 every single time.

9 hours ago, waaaghboss said:
11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't really get the increase in price of 2099 books. Its not the first app, but I guess its similar to Darkhawk 1.(Which isn't the 
first app either.)

Sometimes the first meaningful appearance matters.  I bought both Spidey 2099 and ASM 365 off the rack.  I never knew that ASM365 was technically the first appearance until a few weeks ago.

If I had to choose one to collect (without speculating on value or reselling) I'd pick 2099 every single time.

Oh I totally agree, but we live in a current age where this only matters below.

image.thumb.png.7a6d9f446edfde13139a54e1fe4ef6c1.png

I used to pick up STACKS of Spidey 2099 in 50 cent and dollar bins, for years, and sold them for around $5. Guess I should have held on to my stockpile. I just have a hard time paying more than a buck for that book, no matter how hot it gets. I have started picking up ASM 365s again as well, but that was another dollar bin book for so long, it hurts to pay more than $5 for them. I had a few 9.8 slabs too and I can't imagine I paid more than $35 for them? Ugh. Probably sold them for a song. This market is so weird.

20 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

ASM 365 isn't the first appearance. It's a preview of the book. If you like to spend money on previews, knock yourself out.

36 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

That argument has been made before. Which one is selling for the most? There is your answer.

The market has spoken quite literally here with ASM 365 selling for roughly 3x more then Spider-man 2099 1s.

I don't like anymore then you do, but the market has made up its mind a long time ago.

I have a few of each, which I am happy to sell if they go high enough. Just making the point that it's not a "first appearance"