• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,788 posts in this topic

Here are just a few excerpts online that will help you understand Art Adams' influence on McFarlane, Lee & Liefeld. This is a VERY well known FACT, clouded by clueless readers who didnt collect during the 80s and do not know of the TREMENDOUS influence that Adams had on these artists. He is in no shape or form more popular than them. Its just sad that it got to the point where people nowadays are not even aware of this

http://www.cbr.com/art-adams-longshot-image-is-something/

Spoiler

For years — and maybe to this day — readers who lived through the direct market turmoil of the 1990s comic book industry used a kind of verbal shorthand to celebrate or dismiss an entire genre of comics. “That looks like an Image comic,” they would say, with enthusiasm or disdain, or possibly a little of both.

Image Comics — and the supposed house style of that company-that-was-really-a-collective-of-very-different-personalities — became synonymous for flashy action poses and shiny metal appendages, for thousands of inky lines and crass youthful exuberance, for superheroes and aliens and demons and robots crammed together in stories that didn’t always make a lot of sense.

Some might say the “Image style” began with the debut of “Youngblood” #1 in 1992, or even earlier than that when Rob Liefeld first began working on the seeds of what would turn the poor-selling “New Mutants” into the massively-popular “X-Force.” Or when Jim Lee revamped the look and feel of the “Uncanny X-Men.” Or when Todd McFarlane started doing his thing on “Amazing Spider-Man.”

But the origins of the Image style go back farther than that. It begins with new-to-Marvel editor Ann Nocenti trying to recruit someone to draw her weird comic book idea. It begins with an artist who, prior to 1985, had done little in the comics industry other than drawing a pin-up in “Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew” and helping out with a few covers for third-string titles. It begins with the debut of Art Adams and “Longshot.”

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Arthur+Adams+(comics)

Spoiler

Adams is one of the most popular and widely imitated artists in the American comics industry.[2] [5] Adams' style is attributed as a direct influence on the artists who would found Image Comics, and the other popular artists of the 1990s associated with that era, such a Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld.[28] [29] Timothy Callahan of Comic Book Resources points to the use of dynamic action poses, idealized figures, costume designs featuring numerous accessories, a preference for copious crosshatching over brushwork in rendering, and the depiction of cybernetic limbs and other reflective surfaces seen in those artists' styles as being derived from Adams work, in particular his run on Longshot. Callahan also points out that the detailed webbing for which Todd McFarlane became known during his run on Spider-Man had previously been used by Adams on the cover of Longshot #4. Though Callahan notes that Adams did not necessarily originate these elements, but was influenced himself by Michael Golden and Micronauts, he states that Adams popularized them. Noting also that Adams' Longshot pencils were inked by Whilce Portacio and an uncredited Scott Williams, Callahan refers to that book as "early Image, in primal form".[28] Artists who have named Adams as an influence include J. Scott Campbell,[3] [30] [31] Aaron Kuder[32] [33] and Shelby Robertson.[34]

And this, although sarcastically written by a hobbyist, actually talks about why comic books look so bad today.. All because of one Art Adams

http://geniusboyfiremelon.blogspot.com/2008/01/dont-you-know-its-all-art-adamss-fault.html

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

In fact...if I was to lay odds on it, I'd say Wrightson was the main influence for both McFarlane AND Keown....

hm

latest?cb=20160905170317

I see how that would have influenced SPlatt, too. :foryou:

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Here are just a few excerpts online that will help you understand Art Adams' influence on McFarlane, Lee & Liefeld. This is a VERY well known FACT, clouded by clueless readers who didnt collect during the 80s and do not know of the TREMENDOUS influence that Adams had on these artists. He is in no shape or form more popular than them. Its just sad that it got to the point where people nowadays are not even aware of this

http://www.cbr.com/art-adams-longshot-image-is-something

The assertion that Adams influenced McFarlane is simply voiced as an opinion in the above piece.

The Image hallmarks are here, and Todd McFarlane -- though working on DC's "Infinity Inc." at the time, in a notably more formalistic style than he'd use when he came to Marvel -- and Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld must have been inspired by what Adams was doing on his "Longshot" pages, particularly his character designs and his figure drawing.

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I agree with the concept that AA was the first of the hyper realistic Image style artists.  Honestly, I remember the stir when AA first did Longshot, and I think if he could have held down a monthly assignment, he would have been huge.  In fact, there was still some hype later when he did FF 347-349.

For me, it's tough to say what influence he had.  Even if guys like Lee, Liefeld and McFarlane don't specifically voice it, they could very well have been subconsciously influenced.  Adams stuff was fantastic, as has been noted here.

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

The assertion that Adams influenced McFarlane is simply voiced as an opinion in the above piece.

Of course! Art is not science. There are people that mistake Cubism for Renaissance. Surely you wont waste time convincing them the differences of one from the other.

If a person cannot see that this came first 

7fcac69bf587a6651a0bc8e7e86dbeb51.jpg.dbf57ef2d40c2d697eae11e60735bc7f.jpg2022187294_s-l1600(3).jpg.e26c52dc5fe703454f1ec32ecc357911.jpgtumblr_mt71bgXgre1szfy48o1_1280.thumb.jpg.e623246883cb898b079187690328bdf7.jpg

Before this:

901533-the_incredible_hulk_v2___340___14.jpg.9bafb500828dbb74563e9b743bc8aad6.jpgDoDxevNV4AIas-G.jpg.7a68214ebfa3adce90525f9150862570.jpgScreen-Shot-2018-07-30-at-9_53.24-AM.png.c372b3e3a4b70805fe8705cee3fe68cd.png

after it looked like this only a year earlier:

Infinity_Inc_25.thumb.jpg.900c386926d71ba2fa02da90e834deb0.jpg1100901355_s-l1600(1).jpg.c83b8cabc266e6b87d425ba7550c8ea9.jpg926945251_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.0c20faf6e76519fc9106248c359e1d58.jpg

... You'd waste your time with providing a million more examples. Which is kinda what I resorted to now!!

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Harry Anderson's work on Love Journal 17 from 1953 looked like it had an influence to me.

15647683765849036418748553184537.jpg

Golden Age romance comics have never been my thing. But that is really good art.  The girl in the last panel looks like she could hve been drawn by Art Adams.

7 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Harry Anderson's work on Love Journal 17 from 1953 looked like it had an influence to me.

15647683765849036418748553184537.jpg

MOAR. I want to know what happened to Doug and Sally. I really wish this was an EC book, because then we'd know.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:06 AM, 500Club said:

I agree with the concept that AA was the first of the hyper realistic Image style artists.  Honestly, I remember the stir when AA first did Longshot, and I think if he could have held down a monthly assignment, he would have been huge.  In fact, there was still some hype later when he did FF 347-349.

For me, it's tough to say what influence he had.  Even if guys like Lee, Liefeld and McFarlane don't specifically voice it, they could very well have been subconsciously influenced.  Adams stuff was fantastic, as has been noted here.

Adams' stuff was extraordinarily popular in 1990...to the point that Longshot #1-6 was a $100 set...in 1990. Even though he had done X-Men Annual #12 and #14, his earlier stuff...Annual #9 and #10, Longshot, New Mutants Special Edition....were the books everyone wanted.

I imagine FF #347-349 was the very last time people got generally excited about Art Adams work.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

17 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

MOAR. I want to know what happened to Doug and Sally. I really wish this was an EC book, because then we'd know.

Poor Sally...turns out Doug wasn't what she wanted after all....she was in love....with LOVE....

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Adams' stuff was extraordinarily popular in 1990...to the point that Longshot #1-6 was a $100 set...in 1990. Even though he had done X-Men Annual #12 and #14, his earlier stuff...Annual #9 and #10, Longshot, New Mutants Special Edition....were the books everyone wanted.

I imagine FF #347-349 was the very last time people got generally excited about Art Adas work.

I think the reason no one wanted X-Men Annual #12 or the overlooked Excalibur Special 2 was because they had the X-Babies in them.  I think one of the things that contributed to Adam's waning popularity was his or whoever else's insistence that he always draw the absolute lamest of all possible X-Men storylines.  I mean, you had the X-Babies in 3 annuals in a row, which is insane.  Plus, he also drew Mojo stuff way too much as well.  The reason those FF's were popular were also due to the inclusion of Wolverine and GR.  Had they had been another Alchemy character like X-Factor 41 and 42 then nobody would have cared about those either.  

it's pretty crazy when you think about what happened back then. Art Adams work would trickle in slowly, but due to his fast growing popularity at the time Marvel needed more. I'm pretty sure that the editors at the time pitched that to artists like McFarlane, Liefeld and the likes, being that they were very new to the game "wanna get more work? Look at what this guy is doing... can you give me THAT??"

And it worked! 

The very first time I bought a mcFarlne book was ASM 298 (although his style started to change already with his tec run). I remember it like yesterday. I was absolutely convinced it was an Art Adams book and that the preview catalog made an error.. at least the cover... since I saw the preview for it on a mhc newsletter. When I received the book I was very happy that there's another guy that's drawing like AAdams.. Mcfarlanes work in 298-300 were as close as you'd get to Adams.. it all started to go away right after that... I think probably because the black suit was easier to draw. 

The same thing happened with Liefeld with H&D mini #1. I was 100 positive that was Art Adams just from the previews

10 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

I think the reason no one wanted X-Men Annual #12 or the overlooked Excalibur Special 2 was because they had the X-Babies in them.  I think one of the things that contributed to Adam's waning popularity was his or whoever else's insistence that he always draw the absolute lamest of all possible X-Men storylines.  I mean, you had the X-Babies in 3 annuals in a row, which is insane.  Plus, he also drew Mojo stuff way too much as well.  The reason those FF's were popular were also due to the inclusion of Wolverine and GR.  Had they had been another Alchemy character like X-Factor 41 and 42 then nobody would have cared about those either.  

I agree with that, with the exception of Mojo. I think Mojo was the prototype of all evil characters in the 90s since he was soooo animated.

IMG_6330.JPG.7dcd422500c91c775d7c3108f4017494.JPG

Also, Adams started getting sh*** inkers in the 90s. How on earth are u gonna assign Al Milgrom as an inker to Adams (with his FF run) :ohnoez:

Edited by Aweandlorder