• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,805 posts in this topic

So, I see that there are some people echoing each other and indicating that Hulk 180 is a hot book suddenly because it's been recognized as Wolverine's first appearance (despite the fact that that was well known information for decades). People in that market should take a look at Uncanny X-Men Annual 14, and not just cuz I have multiple graded 9.8s. Okay, maybe it's just for that reason.

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

So, I see that there are some people echoing each other and indicating that Hulk 180 is a hot book suddenly because it's been recognized as Wolverine's first appearance (despite the fact that that was well known information for decades). People in that market should take a look at Uncanny X-Men Annual 14, and not just cuz I have multiple graded 9.8s. Okay, maybe it's just for that reason.

The same group has been pumping Hulk #180 for years now to no avail. The market has decided otherwise. They should have speculated on Hulk #181 instead........

Edited by kimik

On 9/6/2019 at 3:20 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I noticed a couple of the Marvel 25th Anniversary "portrait covers" seem to sell pretty well. Any info on which ones are more popular than others? 

The Star books are very very hard to find in high grade. You want to go nutty? Look for 9.8 newsstands.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:35 PM, kimik said:

The same group has been pumping Hulk #180 for years now to no avail. The market has decided otherwise. They should have speculated on Hulk #181 instead........

Tides change slowly at first . . . :whistle:

41 minutes ago, shadroch said:

For the difference in price, I would take $10,000 worth of Hulk 180s over $10,000 worth of 181s. Not even close.

What grade for Hulk 180s and what time frame? If you bought CGC 9.4s ($2400) at the start of this year you are down $300-$400 per copy. Buying Hulk 181 CGC 9.4 at the same time would have you with a $600-$800 profit. Doing the math, 4 x CGC 9.4 180s at a loss of $300 per copy based on current prices = $1200 net loss, while buying one CGC 9.4 copy of Hulk #181 for the same amount would have generated a small profit under this scenario.

If we go back to Jan 2018, then Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 was a $5300-$5400 book (and I am still kicking myself at passing on two W page copies at that price in March 2018). So let's say you buy 2 copies for $10,500. At the same time, Hulk #180 CGC 9.4 was a ~$1000 book (some sales higher, some lower) so you could buy 10 copies for $10,500. At the current prices, you would net ~$1100 per copy of CGC 9.4 of Hulk #180 = $11,000 profit, while the Hulk #181 would have netted around $5,200 per copy based on current prices for a net total of $10,400. In this case, the Hulk #180 CGC 9.4 barely wins out.

Going forward, unless the market suddenly shifts to Hulk #180 as the first appearance of Wolverine, then you are likely better off with Hulk #181 IMHO as #180 will only run up when #181 jumps further. 

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, divad said:

Tides change slowly at first . . . :whistle:

Based on the price drop of #180 in 9.4 over the year, the tide may be receding now.........

Edited by kimik

You are entitled to your opinion. I have mine. If I were to spend $10,000 on either of them, I'd go with the 180s. Using past performance to try and show future growth is silly. 

Wait until Wendigos sister gets zapped by something, is featured in a Netflix show and the 180 takes off, all because the writer has been ratholing 180s for years. 

True enough. That being said, past performance of keys has pretty much held true in collectibles for the past 30 years I have been collecting. What was key then is still key now, and those books have outpaced the others in price gains over time.

FWIW, there are better books to buy than either Hulk issue now. The time to load up on them was the start of 2018.

Edited by kimik

32 minutes ago, kimik said:

True enough. That being said, past performance of keys has pretty much held true in collectibles for the past 30 years I have been collecting. What was key then is still key now, and those books have outpaced the others in price gains over time.

FWIW, there are better books to buy than either Hulk issue now. The time to load up on them was the start of 2018.

I had to buy all mine years before that!

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

For the difference in price, I would take $10,000 worth of Hulk 180s over $10,000 worth of 181s. Not even close.

Honestly, at these price points, I have absolutely no interest in either book.  

I've read them.  They are pretty meh.  

I think these books are more about people wanting to own the books everyone else wants to own than actual interest in Wolverine these days.

When did "first Stormbreaker" become a thing for Thor 339?  I saw someone had one up on their wall at a local convention for $40 and thought they had lost their mind, but apparently it is a thing, because they are selling pretty decently on E-bay.

People are really reaching to find a reason to call a book a "key", IMO.

I'm not hating on people for buying this book at a decent price.  It is really cool, with part of one of the best stories of the Copper Age, IMO.

I just think it is crazy that the market would value it higher than 338, which is a great cover and part of the same story.

Are people really going to buy 337 and 339 and skip owning 338?

I think we need to explain to people that it is okay to own books that are really cool, even if they aren't technically a "key".

Edited by Hamlet

18 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Honestly, at these price points, I have absolutely no interest in either book.  

I've read them.  They are pretty meh.  

I think these books are more about people wanting to own the books everyone else wants to own than actual interest in Wolverine these days.

Wolverine is a lot of people's top 5 favorite character regardless of what has been done with him recently.

2 hours ago, Hamlet said:

When did "first Stormbreaker" become a thing for Thor 339?  I saw someone had one up on their wall at a local convention for $40 and thought they had lost their mind, but apparently it is a thing, because they are selling pretty decently on E-bay.

People are really reaching to find a reason to call a book a "key", IMO.

I'm not hating on people for buying this book at a decent price.  It is really cool, with part of one of the best stories of the Copper Age, IMO.

I just think it is crazy that the market would value it higher than 338, which is a great cover and part of the same story.

Are people really going to buy 337 and 339 and skip owning 338?

I think we need to explain to people that it is okay to own books that are really cool, even if they aren't technically a "key".

Thor 339 is one of the most important books of the copper age. It is a key of keys. $40 was a bargain. 338 is also a key, just not as key. 337, I can take it or leave it.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Thor 339 is one of the most important books of the copper age. It is a key of keys. $40 was a bargain. 338 is also a key, just not as key. 337, I can take it or leave it.

Haven't you got around to selling your damn copies yet? Get to it! lol