• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Here are the Copper books that I personally sold off the wall this weekend in Baltimore. All high grade (same books pulled out scored 9.6/9.8 with a press) from a collection I just bought.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 $100
Amazing Spider-Man 316 $100
Amazing Spider-Man 365 $15
Airboy 5 $10
Batman 426 $40
Batman 428 $50
Batman Adventures 28 $50
Captain Atom 42 $20
Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 $100
New Mutants 98 $300
Peter Parker 64 $60
Peter Parker 64 newsstand $75
She-Hulk 52 $15
Simpsons 1 (!) $40
Swamp Thing 49 $20
Swamp Thing 52 $15
Thor 337 $60
Thor 337 Canadian $100

asm 316 for $100? for reals? has that gotten extra hot lately? I remember pricing it out earlier in the year and deciding it wasn't worth listing my copies because I thought they should go for more than what the recent sales said.

6 hours ago, the blob said:

OK, not everyone has 40 years of cheap-o box purchases to yank treasures out of.

Hey, the next 40 years starts today.  Cheap box diving is still my favorite part of conventions.  I think it’s silly to chase the latest hot stuff as a speculator.  Buy the cool stuff that could get hot out of the cheap boxes.  Or the cool stuff that used to be hot that cooled off and got cheap again.  Or the cool stuff that will never be hot but you don’t care because it is cool and really cheap.  Or the stuff you have no idea about but figure you’re only out a dollar if it sucks.  Or the currently hot books that the dealer missed and put in his cheap boxes.

The only reason to buy a currently hot book at FMV is because you want it personally for your collection for reasons that aren’t simply “I want it because other people want it.”  

"I think it’s silly to chase the latest hot stuff as a speculator." Please shush. Those speculators allow me to pursue my Golden and Silver age beater collection. Those raggedy archies don't grow on trees.

Not to mention, those "hot book" speculators bought about 40 copies of saga 1 from me at $10, $20, and $30 a pop when I thought to book was due to drop like a rock as well as earlyish WD issues when I was excited to dump them for $10 and nyx 3 for $10... So sometimes it works out.

Edited by the blob

9 hours ago, the blob said:

asm 316 for $100? for reals? has that gotten extra hot lately? I remember pricing it out earlier in the year and deciding it wasn't worth listing my copies because I thought they should go for more than what the recent sales said.

It heated up with the Venom movie news. High grades have been selling at that price for a while. Newsstand high grades are especially sought after.

20 hours ago, the blob said:

You put quarter box drek into mylites? Thousands of mylites should factor into your pricing.

Anyway, if you want to know what they're worth look up every book via ebay completed auctions. Every single one! Trying to guess movie connections is nuts. If they are all so organized that is a 5 or 8 hour project. Figure 6 books a minute, 360 an hour, 8 hours = 2,880 books. Start at noon on a Sunday and do it while watching 3 NFL games. Easy peasy. Drink a lot of coffee.

I put Everything in Mylites, together we have 4000 books in Mylites with Acid Free Boards.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:54 PM, divad said:

Good work - you're definitely getting it. Why do you have WHAT IF 10 in the collection? Does it lean toward the BA? Generally a dealer is not going to tell you what you really have. I assume you posted it here because it's mostly CA.

Do not know why we have a What If #10, was probably a dollar box find that looked like a good read from years back.

Most books are 80's, 90's with other issues from 79 -84 (which is technically Bronze) so this seemed like the right spot.

When I got back into collecting in 79 I started buying/reading new books at the time and when my Son decided to start collecting when he got out of the Navy in 99 I gave him all of those newer books I had and he continued the runs from there while I concentrated on Marvel Silver.

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Now that is the kind of stuff I was looking for with this thread.

ASM 316 is going up so I will keep an eye on that and add that to the top books list, ours is graded (by me) at FN/VF 7.0.

I have no idea when or how he is going to sell his books but I am the "expert" here so they will be looking to me for grading and pricing info.

21 hours ago, the blob said:

You put quarter box drek into mylites? Thousands of mylites should factor into your pricing.

Anyway, if you want to know what they're worth look up every book via ebay completed auctions. Every single one! Trying to guess movie connections is nuts. If they are all so organized that is a 5 or 8 hour project. Figure 6 books a minute, 360 an hour, 8 hours = 2,880 books. Start at noon on a Sunday and do it while watching 3 NFL games. Easy peasy. Drink a lot of coffee.

And keep a jug close by.  You don't want to breakup a productive rhythm. 

13 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Here are the Copper books that I personally sold off the wall this weekend in Baltimore. All high grade (same books pulled out scored 9.6/9.8 with a press) from a collection I just bought.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 $100
Amazing Spider-Man 316 $100
Amazing Spider-Man 365 $15
Airboy 5 $10
Avengers 257 $25
Batman 426 $40
Batman 428 $50
Batman Adventures 28 $50
Captain Atom 42 $20
Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 $100
New Mutants 98 $300
Peter Parker 64 $60
Peter Parker 64 newsstand $75
She-Hulk 52 $15
Simpsons 1 (!) $40
Swamp Thing 49 $20
Swamp Thing 52 $15
Thor 337 $60
Thor 337 Canadian $100

Great insight, thanks for this transparency Donut!

And Simpsons #1.....I had no idea....

22 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I put Everything in Mylites, together we have 4000 books in Mylites with Acid Free Boards.

Do not know why we have a What If #10, was probably a dollar box find that looked like a good read from years back.

Most books are 80's, 90's with other issues from 79 -84 (which is technically Bronze) so this seemed like the right spot.

When I got back into collecting in 79 I started buying/reading new books at the time and when my Son decided to start collecting when he got out of the Navy in 99 I gave him all of those newer books I had and he continued the runs from there while I concentrated on Marvel Silver.

ASM 316 is going up so I will keep an eye on that and add that to the top books list, ours is graded (by me) at FN/VF 7.0.

I have no idea when or how he is going to sell his books but I am the "expert" here so they will be looking to me for grading and pricing info.

ASM 316 completed ebay sale would have told you that.  But it's a polarizing trend because ASM 300 has been on the downtrend for what, a year, 1.5 years?  There seems to be a negative correlation with those two books right now that doesn't make a lot of sense.  Regardless, you would have to look at ebay completed sales because if you read that ASM 300 was hot 2-3 years ago, you wouldn't be able to attain that same sale today. 

6 minutes ago, spreads said:
31 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

ASM 316 completed ebay sale would have told you that.  But it's a polarizing trend because ASM 300 has been on the downtrend for what, a year, 1.5 years?  There seems to be a negative correlation with those two books right now that doesn't make a lot of sense.  Regardless, you would have to look at ebay completed sales because if you read that ASM 300 was hot 2-3 years ago, you wouldn't be able to attain that same sale today. 

I think it has to do with market saturation and the fact that many of the people who might otherwise buy ASM 300 might already have it, and that the price is relatively high.  There's more 'middle' collectors who can spend XX on 316 than super collectors (who don't already have it) that will buy 300 for $$$$$$$.  Not as growth in the already high demand for 300 compared to how many hit the market.  At least that's my take, for whatever its worth.

6 minutes ago, revat said:

I think it has to do with market saturation and the fact that many of the people who might otherwise buy ASM 300 might already have it, and that the price is relatively high.  There's more 'middle' collectors who can spend XX on 316 than super collectors (who don't already have it) that will buy 300 for $$$$$$$.  Not as growth in the already high demand for 300 compared to how many hit the market.  At least that's my take, for whatever its worth.

I can agree with that, especially as someone that's done small shows where there are regular buyers not looking to spend a ton of money (a $100 budget for that type of show is more feasible for a lot of people than $300).   It's just odd how much ASM 316 has gone up so much while 300 was dropping in price.  Perhaps there's also a lag, when 300 was hitting its highs 2 years ago, 316 should have been going up at the same time. 

Edited by spreads

6 minutes ago, spreads said:

I can agree with that, especially as someone that's done small shows where there are regular buyers not looking to spend a ton of money (a $100 budget for that type of show is more feasible for a lot of people than $300).   It's just odd how much ASM 316 has gone up so much while 300 was dropping in price.  Perhaps there's also a lag, when 300 was hitting its highs 2 years ago, 316 should have been going up at the same time. 

Anecdotal and my brain could be mushy, but I remember putting up a bunch of books before the last Spidey movie to unload my 1sts apps of Hydroman, etc. and figured some Venom/Carnage stuff would be good too as there was still Venom movie buzz, and I was unimpressed with the sales figures on 316. Maybe $15-20 for a raw 9.2-9.4 copy? So I held off putting up my copies. Sold some 361s and 362s though.

25 minutes ago, spreads said:

These books have peeled off quite a bit off their recent highs, eh?

Probably, but since my cost on them was about 40 cents each, I'm good with it.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

With that said I think Donut's $100 had a lot to do with it being a perfect 9.8able copy.

It may have been. I slabbed 40 books from the collection at Baltimore. All were pressed, but there were 35 9.8s and 5 9.6s. 

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Probably, but since my cost on them was about 40 cents each, I'm good with it.

You know, you always say it and I don't buy it. You bought a collection I presume. Sure, the cost per book was 40 cents, but realistically you were paying for the sellable books and viewing the drek as penny a book or whatever stuff you are going to dump however you can. So, let's be honest and admit you really paid a buck a pop for those. Unless you actually bought 100 of these sorts of books and paid $40. Then, yeah, it really is 40 cents...

I paid no more than $1 each for mine, but they could have been bought any time in the last 20-25 years, so that's a little deceptive.

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

It may have been. I slabbed 40 books from the collection at Baltimore. All were pressed, but there were 35 9.8s and 5 9.6s. 

OHHH, the $100 was for a slab?

1 minute ago, the blob said:

OHHH, the $100 was for a slab?

Nope. Raw. All of those were raw. The slabs I got were other books but from the same collection.

Edited by FlyingDonut

1 minute ago, the blob said:

You know, you always say it and I don't buy it. You bought a collection I presume. Sure, the cost per book was 40 cents, but realistically you were paying for the sellable books and viewing the drek as penny a book or whatever stuff you are going to dump however you can. So, let's be honest and admit you really paid a buck a pop for those.

Well OK.