Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
39 39

16,851 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, david20009 said:

I would say TMNT 47.  It has the first cover and first Space Usagi story.  By all traditional measures it is the first Space Usagi appearance.  TMNT 46 is just concept drawings.  I would view it as more of a prototype issue

TMNT-47-front-and-back.jpg

 

The rarest Space Usagi would be the Malibu Ashcan book.  It took me years before I found one (note there is an ashcan for the Darkhorse series too)

Space-Usagi1-Ashcan.jpg

 

I went on a mad hunt for this ashcan several years ago and never found one. Super tough book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, camera73 said:

I was a huge Power Pack fan back in the 80s. I read the entire run and still have my fingers crossed for an winning MCU version.

I just saw on the census that there are only 191 cgc-9.8-graded copies of PP1. What does the committee think...for a book that is going for $200-$400, would that be a sign of rarity?

It seems like there were a lot of issues printed and available for sale. That black cover is nearly impossible to find without color-breaking crease or ten. So, the question is: if a movie gets announced tomorrow, will there be no supply to meet the inevitable supply? Will I be kicking myself for not buying one right now for $275-350?

On the topic of the thread - I was shocked when I saw a couple of these selling between $300-$400 last year.

If a movie or show gets announced tomorrow the price for PP 1 in CGC 9.8 should skyrocket.  I'm sure there is a ton of nice copies sitting in collections and the spike in price will bring them out but I agree its a tough book to find in 9.8.  I subbed 8 copies last year and got 6 9.8s and 2 9.6s but these looked perfect after a press.  I've got no copies right now but I'm always on the look out for nice copies at every place I go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

:o

Six PP1 in 9.8 from one submission??? Whoa!! Dang! What is that, like 3% of the total census? Pretty cool. 

I look for them everywhere too, and have a small stack. But finding them without at least one not pressable ding is an SOB.

I agree they will shoot through the roof if/when the property is finally used.

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, camera73 said:

I was a huge Power Pack fan back in the 80s. I read the entire run and still have my fingers crossed for an winning MCU version.

I just saw on the census that there are only 191 cgc-9.8-graded copies of PP1. What does the committee think...for a book that is going for $200-$400, would that be a sign of rarity?

It seems like there were a lot of issues printed and available for sale. That black cover is nearly impossible to find without color-breaking crease or ten. So, the question is: if a movie gets announced tomorrow, will there be no supply to meet the inevitable supply? Will I be kicking myself for not buying one right now for $275-350?

On the topic of the thread - I was shocked when I saw a couple of these selling between $300-$400 last year.

It's definitely not rare. One thing in its favor for a slightly higher scarcity of ultra high grade copies is that is was viewed by many as a "kids book."  I personally think there are very likely many, many, many untouched copies out there, and few have gone and dug them out or unearthed them from store stock or collections yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I went on a mad hunt for this ashcan several years ago and never found one. Super tough book. 

I bought my copy off someone on the Usagi Yojimbo message boards.  When he sent it to me it was signed by Stan Sakai, was remarked and he included the envelop and mailer Stan had sent it to him in like 2 decades ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 10:36 PM, manetteska said:

Was one copy yours?

No that seller who used the term "ghost"  that I often use was not me. Lol.  I guess it's a popular phrase. 

 

Anyway,  I did talk to him  since the "what did it sell for "website is down and  his copy of space usagi 1 was sold for 95.

Edited by Wolverinex
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 12:23 PM, david20009 said:

I bought my copy off someone on the Usagi Yojimbo message boards.  When he sent it to me it was signed by Stan Sakai, was remarked and he included the envelop and mailer Stan had sent it to him in like 2 decades ago.

For what it’s worth, I got my Space Usagi yellow ashcan at a con in Philadelphia at the Mirage table from Stan himself in 1993. Never saw it anywhere again. He also signed it with a head sketch. Wish I still had it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 11:10 AM, seanfingh said:

It's definitely not rare. One thing in its favor for a slightly higher scarcity of ultra high grade copies is that is was viewed by many as a "kids book."  I personally think there are very likely many, many, many untouched copies out there, and few have gone and dug them out or unearthed them from store stock or collections yet.

Agreed.  Any Marvel/DC book (aside from rare printings) will be plentiful in 9.8, it's just that up until a couple years ago no one gave a mess about this book.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 5:14 AM, spreads said:
On 8/8/2020 at 7:54 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Man I hope this sells. I'm not holding my breath however. :roflmao:

I was so ready to hit the BIN, but he doesn't ship to Canada....

You guys had me running to the garage there . . . :bigsmile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
39 39