• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,769 posts in this topic

The comic is the root source for the Mind Mgmt. movie. The Star Wars comics are derivative from the movies. As a general rule of thumb (with exceptions of course), if the material originated in a comic it will heat up with movie news and will generally hold its value as opposed to comics that are based on other source material. These comics don’t get as much movie heat and don’t hold as much value after the hype.

The comic is the root source for the Mind Mgmt. movie. The Star Wars comics are derivative from the movies. As a general rule of thumb (with exceptions of course), if the material originated in a comic it will heat up with movie news and will generally hold its value as opposed to comics that are based on other source material. These comics don’t get as much movie heat and don’t hold as much value after the hype.

Transformers is another good example... comics have SOME value, but nothing compared to what it would be if the toys weren't first.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, on the other hand, were comics FIRST... and the different is about 100x the value of Transformers. (Comparing mint copies of the #1 issue in both franchises.)

Being comics first isn't a guarantee of value, though.

The Mask (Jim Carrey) was a comic first, the movie made $350Million worldwide, and the first comic (Dark Horse Presents #10) is still found in dollar bins (rarely, but possible).

See I still disagree with this. I see many auctions selling issue 42 and they advertise it as the first appearance of Bobba Fett. That issue is rarely seen in stores and in high grade demands a pretty penny. i just believe that people are failing to realize the importance of issue 41. Maybe collectors simply don't realize it's Yoda's first appearance. Look at all the other major characters, Solo, Luke,etc...they all appear first in issue 1 or 2 of the Marvel series and those books are all valuable.

Edited by MrWeen

Are we talking value or movie bump? To put these two characters in comic terms, Yoda is like Professor X and Boba Fett is like Wolverine. Boba Fett will always command a premium over Yoda. With that said, I think you are right that many people don't know that #41 is Yoda's first appearance in comics. Perhaps as the movie productions gets rolling word will spread and the book will heat up. GPA does show #41 on the rise while the last 9.8 sale of 42 is down but that was before the movie announcement.

Are we talking value or movie bump? To put these two characters in comic terms, Yoda is like Professor X and Boba Fett is like Wolverine. Boba Fett will always command a premium over Yoda. With that said, I think you are right that many people don't know that #41 is Yoda's first appearance in comics. Perhaps as the movie productions gets rolling word will spread and the book will heat up. GPA does show #41 on the rise while the last 9.8 sale of 42 is down but that was before the movie announcement.

I'm pretty sure Yoda is a more recognizable character that Fett. Fett's vintage toys may be worth more but I suspect casual fans and even people who know next to nothing about the franchise still know the name. Yoda has crossed over into the public consciousness in a way Fett never can. ( By the way I am not a fan of Yoda! )

I'm pretty sure Yoda is a more recognizable character that Fett. Fett's vintage toys may be worth more but I suspect casual fans and even people who know next to nothing about the franchise still know the name. Yoda has crossed over into the public consciousness in a way Fett never can. ( By the way I am not a fan of Yoda! )

Fett has a huge following. Look at the 501st.

Fett has a huge following. Look at the 501st.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a huge following but Yoda is more widely known, from casual fan to die hard to my 95 year old grandmother.

Yoda might be widely known but who are people going to collect? Out of the two I'm sure Fett would win hands down. As a Star Wars collector, I always chose Fett over Yoda. Trust me, I would love to see that issue go up in value & maybe if Yoda was on the cover like Fett was on #42 it would.

Yoda might be widely known but who are people going to collect? Out of the two I'm sure Fett would win hands down. As a Star Wars collector, I always chose Fett over Yoda. Trust me, I would love to see that issue go up in value & maybe if Yoda was on the cover like Fett was on #42 it would.

Well that's all true. I wonder if there are Mark Jeweler variants for those 2 issues.

I agree. Every little old person in the world has most likely been called Yoda, at one point or another. Every fat person; Jabba the Hutt. Part of the lexicon.

Well that's all true. I wonder if there are Mark Jeweler variants for those 2 issues.

Idk about #41 but #42 did.

Idk about #41 but #42 did.

great, something else to track down.

For Boba Fett fans, issue 68 is fairly desired as well, which I believe is something of a background/origin issue for Fett and his people....

StarWars68_zpsd859774f.jpg

Yeah and a sick cover too!

I don't recall that cover, but now that I see it.. wow. That is bad to the bone. And I'm not the biggest Fett fan.

For Boba Fett fans, issue 68 is fairly desired as well, which I believe is something of a background/origin issue for Fett and his people....

Yeah and a sick cover too!

I don't recall that cover, but now that I see it.. wow. That is bad to the bone. And I'm not the biggest Fett fan.

Is the fella riding the Tauntaun sporting a sword and a laser? That is one tough dude!

This was one of the issues I used to get with my subscription with Marvel. I remember as a kid just waiting for the mailman to deliver.

But issue 41 is not Yoda's first appearance in comics. And issue 42 is not Boba Fett's first appearance in comics either. Both issues are reprints from the Marvel ESB paperback 1st edition. Yoda is depicted differently in the paperback than he is in the comic (and subsequent printings of the Marvel ESB paperback.)

I'm pretty sure the Marvel ESB paperback preceded issues 41 and 42 of the regular comics.

Edited by rjrjr

There are definitely Mark Jeweler variants for all the ESB adaption comics (issue 39 - 44). In fact, I know there are Mark Jeweler variants for Star Wars 26 - 73 because I still have the copies I've owned since living in Germany as a kid (yes, I was a military brat.) I also have some earlier issues (Star Wars 11 - 16) that also have the Mark Jewelers inserts.

Edited by rjrjr