• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel All-Colour Comics
1 1

30 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, shadroch said:

In 1975, I didn't find any American Comics in my very limited search of Hamilton and St George.  In 1979, I found a few American books with handstamps.  They were several months old and I already had them so I skipped buying  them. One newsstand had a few b&w digest sized books with really crappy printing. They were mostly war books and I passed on them as well.

In both cases, I was on a cruise and only had very limited time to hunt. In 79, I made the mistake of asking a record shop if they had any reggae. I had no idea that both reggae and dreadlocks were banned in Bermuda. The shop owner educated me  on Bob Marley being a Satan spawned commie who would sooner slit my throat than sing.

It's also the reason that you can't buy doughnuts there. They've jammin

Sorry. 

While I own about a dozen DC with hand stamped British  prices, I have yet to find any books with them preprinted. They seem much less common then their Marvel counterparts.

I'd always assumed the hand stamps were added by the shop owners, similar to date stamps, as opposed to being done by the distribution company.

Edited by shadroch

29 minutes ago, shadroch said:

While I own about a dozen DC with hand stamped British  prices, I have yet to find any books with them reprinted. They seem much less common then their Marvel counterparts.

According to Marwood's impeccable research, 840 DC pence only printed variants compared with 3019 (so far?) for Marvel. So, less common indeed. Having said that, Marvel started with their pence prices in 1960 & carried on through to 1981. DC had a little tryout in 1971 with five books & didn't bother again until 1978. Even then, they only printed pence only variants until 1981, when both companies went with dual pricing.

Big Anglophile here!  I love these things, and buy any and all I can find on this side of the big pond, including this one which turned up in Delaware during a beach vacation last week...

5u1yx2.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

On 7/15/2019 at 1:02 AM, jools&jim said:

Big Anglophile here!  I love these things, and buy any and all I can find on this side of the big pond, including this one which turned up in Delaware during a beach vacation last week...

5u1yx2.jpg

Run, it's a pence copy! Run!