• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building a Wall Unit for CGC slabs.

124 posts in this topic

I have been looking at all the great displays for books in the comic room thread and finally decided what to do after months of frying what little brain is left. I really liked the Ikea cabinets but wanted something that was a little smaller width wise.

I looked at all kinds of shelf units, cabinets, you name it and just couldn't find one to fit the space I had. My comic room is not real big and I wanted to be as conservitave as possible as far as floor space. I was knocking myself nuts. :insane:

I wanted something that I could display about 20 slabs ( just for when people came over ) without having a bulky cabinet or shelves that stuck out to far from the wall. As usual, I drew up a sketch, and made my own.

I decided to try the pre-primed wood that is out there now. First time I used it. I did not like it at all.

First thing was to set up the miter box and cut the shelves. The unit will be 48" wide by about 56". Four rows of five slabs.

I had to set every thing up outside. A bit cold out but not too bad.

wallunitforcomics002.jpg

wallunitforcomics003.jpg

The top and bottom pieces and the slab rails.

wallunitforcomics004.jpg

I wanted a groove for the slabs to sit in. I went with a 3/4" slot as the slabs will be at an angle. I used 1 x 4's for the frame. I wanted it as narrow as possible. Why wasted a 8" or 10" shelf.

I set up the router base and mounted it to my cheap azz router table. It worked out pretty good though.

wallunitforcomics005.jpg

wallunitforcomics006.jpg

wallunitforcomics007.jpg

wallunitforcomics008.jpg

Now to nail the frame together. I marked out all the shelf locations and the centers of the boards. I did not use my power nailer because if you hit a knot in this krap, the nail deflects and comes out where you don't want it. Then its a pain to remove it and the wood gets damaged and you have more repair.

I just predrilled everything and used 2" hard trim nails for the pieces. I also clamped a block at each shelf location to keep the pieces in the right spot and plumb. Man I need to get a life.

wallunitforcomics009.jpg

wallunitforcomics010.jpg

wallunitforcomics011.jpg

wallunitforcomics012.jpg

wallunitforcomics013.jpg

Now to nail it together. The back will be a piece of 1/4" oak underlayment. No need to be fancy. I could use all oak but I'm a cheap and its going to be painted anyway.

wallunitforcomics014.jpg

wallunitforcomics015.jpg

wallunitforcomics016.jpg

Back outside this morning. What a pain in the azz little projects like this turn out to be. You end up pulling all kinds of tools out and making a mess.

I layed the unit on top of my oak backing and squared it up. Then clamp everything down.

You can see the putty where I filled the nail heads. We'll take care of that later.

wallunitforcomics017.jpg

I trace the outline of the backing and remove the shelves. I used my 6 foot level clamped down as a guide for my cordless saw. A veneer blade is a must for cutting thin stock like this.

But first I scored the line with a sharp utility knife. Made several passes. This reduces the amount of splintering to almost zero, and this thin krap likes to splinter.

wallunitforcomics018.jpg

Now I put the shelf unit down and line it up the back. Again, out come the clamps after everything is lined up. I then flip it over and mark my nail lines across the centers of the shelf boards.

wallunitforcomics019.jpg

wallunitforcomics020.jpg

I used 1" brads on my power nailer. 1" should be plenty for attaching the back. They don't bend like the longer nails. The longer ones come out of Taiwan and aren't that good as far as bending. Nothing like the good old American nails that have vanished.

wallunitforcomics021.jpg

That router groove is brilliant.

That's going to give a nice clean look.

Did you have to experiment before you settled on 3/4" ?

wallunitforcomics007.jpg

I took some measurements of the width of the slab. I think 1/2" might have been to narrow and pinch the plastic as you lean the slab back.

I made a test pass on a scrap before cutting the actual pieces. I would rather have a little breathing room around the base of the cases.

Now its time to clean everything up with the jitterbug ( palm sander ). I had one more piece of wood to put in but I'll do that inside. It goes across the top and will be to mount the unit to the wall.

Looks pretty good once its all sanded. I'll have to putty up a few more holes after I attach the final piece and do a little touching up. I like using the Elmer's carpenters helper. Really fills up dents and voids good and sands really easy. Sets up quick too.

wallunitforcomics022.jpg

Here's a shot of the top mounting bracket in place. Needed a few clamps to line it up as most of this wood you get at a big box store seems to always be a little cuped or bowed.

When I bring out the screw clamps the wood has no choice but to submit. Kind of like me in my younger days with women. :acclaim:

A few trim nails on the sides and top. I squeezed the oak backing to the mounting board and used five 5/8" wood screws to pull it together tight from the back.

wallunitforcomics023.jpg