• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 Comic Art Goals

67 posts in this topic

I want to finish paying off installments on a couple of pieces and then take a break from collecting OA by mid year at the latest. I have a baseline collection of pages from several of the books that I love now... which was my initial goal.

Think I need to take a step back, enjoy what I have and spectate for a while before deciding on where to go next. I think buying anything additional would be getting greedy and spreading my limited funds very thin.

If I do get anything else at the end of the year it's possibly going to be something from Criminal Vol.1 or my first commission.

Probably bad form to post twice, but I forgot.

Goal #2 - Make it to Illuxicon this year. I think if it all works out, we're going to take a little family trip out there in the fall to go.

I have heard nothing but awesome stuff about this con, and can't wait to see it in person. And the art will probably blow my socks off and my wallet out.

My goals for 2013, not very specific:

1. Inked Virgil Finlay

2. Batman Sprang page

3. Bill Everett (all) Sub-Mariner

4. Little Annie Fanny page by Will Elder

5. Don Martin Captain Klutz

6. Hal Foster Prince Valiant panel

Its about half way thru the year, its been good so far. Found a few great entries for CAF best of inlcuding a Buscema portfolio piece, AXA commission and Black Kiss cover. As for my goals, I have gotten two off the bucket list:

Hal Foster - Prince Valiant

Prince_Valiant_panel.jpg

Virgil Finlay - Sea Witch

Finlay_sea_witch_prelim.jpg

Just more cool pieces from some of my favorite storylines that I read when I was a kid. Sal Buscema's work during the Simonson era, Andrea DiVito Thor and Stormbreaker pages, Bryne Captain America and FF pages when I can find them and maybe a nice Avengers page that showcases the Vision. I could go on and on but these are tops on my list.

Woohoo!

#4 on the list has been achieved and the superb result of Paulo Siqueira's interpretation of my request for a Savage Land Ladies (featuring Storm, Shanna and Rogue) can be seen here -

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1023701

#1 on the list (Shanna) will be collected from George in about a week when he visits my hometown to attend Supanova Perth.

and

#2 on the list (Shanna) may yet eventuate from Mark Brooks who will also be at Supanova Perth next week.

That would be 3 out of 5 if it all works out! :) Check out the Paulo Siqueira commission - it's worth looking at! Best,

Royd

1. George Perez Shanna commission to be collected at Supanova Sydney or Perth in June.

2. Possible con piece from Mark Brooks (I can dream :)).

3. Continue looking for a suitable (and affordable) Russ Manning piece to add to my collection.

4. Commission from Paulo Siqueira.

5. Continue to search for an Aron Wiesenfeld Deathblow/Wolverine page!

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed checking out the Paulo Siqueira Ladies of the Savage Land piece - I'm an unashamed fan of "cheesecake" and this is a fine example of the genre :)

Nice, Royd!

I have nothing specific planned except to go to Heroes for the first time and shop. :)

I met this goal - spades!

• Clark by Yale Stewart
  • Molly Danger vs. Supergirl by Jamal Igle
  • Mutts by Patrick McDonnell

Given that it didn't happen if there are no pictures on Facebook, here are some pictures on Facebook from Heroes Con 2013

In addition, in the last 30 days, I have picked up:

• Raven and Trigon by George Perez
  • LSH v. Fatal Five by Agnes Garbowska
  • A page from The Lasts of the Greats by Brent Peeples

It's been an amazing half-year.

Here's all the art, you can click on any image to leave a comment in the CAF.

Clark by Yale Stewart

Stewart,%20Yale%20-%20Clark.jpg

Molly Danger vs. Supergirl by Jamal Igle

Igle,%20Jamal%20-%20Molly%20Danger%20vs.%20Supergirl.jpg

Mutts by Patrick McDonnell

McDonnell,%20Patrick%20(pen%20and%20ink)%20and%20Laura%20Martin%20(color)%201200dpi%20-%20Mutts.jpg

Legion of Super-Heroes by Agnes Garbowska

Garbowska,%20Agnes%20-%20LSH-Legion%20vs.%20Fatal%20Five.jpg

Raven and Trigon by George Perez

Perez,%20George%20-%20Raven%20and%20Trigon.jpg

The Last of the Greats by Brent Peeples

Peeples,%20Brent%20-%20Last%20of%20the%20Greats%201%20pg%2014.jpg

This year exceeded my expectations a few times over..

2013 I think will be a slower year for me.

If I am lucky, I'd like to get another page or 2 from FF 347 - 349

More Invisibles interiors, and if one pops up for the right price, maybe even a cover.

Well I'd call myself the great prognosticator =)

So far this year, 2 AA FF interiors. And 10 or so invisibles interiors. Not much else, and nothing "Best of CAF" worthy. But still a good year in my eyes.

I ticked off so many boxes on my want list the past couple of years that the only thing remaining on my "must-have" list is a Kirby FF page, preferably inked by Sinnott.

I've picked up some nice items this year - the McFarlane ASM #299 cover, Romita ASM #125 cover, Kirby Cap #211 cover, Perez Bats #441 cover and some fun smaller pieces by Jose Gonzalez, Mike Ploog, Kent Burles and 2013 Turner Prize nominated artist/cartoonist David Shrigley.

Regarding my Kirby/Sinnott FF goal, I was the underbidder on the FF #95 cover at Hake's, but have otherwise not found the right piece to fill that gap in my collection. But, at current price levels, I'm in no hurry...patience is a virue, uh, I mean virtue. ;)

Anyway, my current want list has expanded to:

- A Kirby/Sinnott FF cover or excellent page

- A John Buscema Silver Surfer cover

- A great James Jean Fables cover

- A great John Byrne X-Men example

- At least one great trophy/"halo" piece to cap off my collection

I don't expect that I will necessarily fulfill any of these by the end of 2013, but those are what my current goals are. I also plan to be more selective and opportunistic in the second half of this year, but we'll see how that goes...I fell victim to the temptation of so many cool pieces hitting the market in the first half of the year.

1. Attend an comic art con

2. Buy less panel pages, more splashes

3. Try to avoid buying inferior art just to own a page from a certain artist, issue or title

4. Be more specific in what I am looking for, not just browsing auctions for things that grab my attention at the time

5. Buy my first cover?

My goal was to reduce my net art investment (Bought $ - Sold $)...so far I am not doing as well as planned but 6 months to go so please buy some art from me!

I have essentially stuck to my core interests quite well...my favorite piece acquired to date is recently posted Rogers/Austin Detective 476 page - but I am waiting to take delivery of another page with great penciller / inker combination that will make it difficult to select a favorite!

This passion is tough to shake!

Mark

My collecting goal for 2013 was a concerted effort to spend less than 2012 and I've already failed in that regard. Miserably.

Same goals and same results....

Well 2013 has been an up and down year.

The UP consisted of my completion of a Decade long goal, it only took 6 years to acquire 3 Perez NTT covers from the initial 58 Issue Run.

I also acquired my first Marvel Cover, a Skull the Slayer Cover from the BA.

The Down, I got out bid a lot and the other three collecting goals have been swing and miss, or not even plate appear.

Sienkiewicz Moon Knight Cover - Nope

BWS Conan piece - Nope

A Neal Adams Batman Panel - Nope

Gil Kane Picture Frame Cover - Nope

Buscema Conan or King Conan Cover - Nope

Hope to knock one of these off in the next 6 months, but If I don't that's ok too. :grin: