• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead is it really worth it? posted by mre1129

34 posts in this topic

Sorry about that - it's been a long time since I had to recall print runs for TMNT#1 (or any book)....3,000 - I forgot a zero :0 So how many of that 3,000 from 1984 are out there today? Not trying to be snarky - but 3,000 from 1984 and 7,000 from 2003 - I'm willing to bet almost all 7K from '03 are still "alive and well".

Forgive - I've kinda fell out of the comic scene for a bit and still playing catch up. Anyhoo - I'm surprised Image only generated 7K of WD #1 - ....but still it was released in 2003 and we live in the day and age of grading everything. So if there's 7K books and everyone out there is a grading nut (myself included) I bet 4K of the suckers will be graded by the end of 2020. Not too many WD #1s are going to have "Off-White Pages" either lol. Me personally - I wouldn't pay that much for it. (unless it was signature series w/cast) Oh - here's a pic of me with someone you may know

Enjoy

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

in one year it won't be worth squat? Listen you have the right to your opinion but I have heard this song and dance for years now. The comic will most likely be worth more a year from now. Consider the following:

1) low print run. I think only 7,266 cases were issued.

2) one of the most popular TV shows there is. The show gets 10 million viewers at times and should be on the air for at least 5 more years.

3) This comic is popular with people that don't collect comics. IMO the Walking Dead has done more for comic books than any other recent comic.

4) A very popular on going title that should not be cancelled for a long time.

Remember guys supply and demand dictate price. Add in the fact that issues graded 9.8 by CGC are NM/MT copies and you have a winner.

What I can't understand is how so many comic guys want the price to drop. This makes no sense to me. If the Walking Dead keeps increasing in value and the show keeps bringing in record number of viewers it will help the entire comic market.

in one year it won't be worth squat? Listen you have the right to your opinion but I have heard this song and dance for years now. The comic will most likely be worth more a year from now. Consider the following:

1) low print run. I think only 7,266 cases were issued.

2) one of the most popular TV shows there is. The show gets 10 million viewers at times and should be on the air for at least 5 more years.

3) This comic is popular with people that don't collect comics. IMO the Walking Dead has done more for comic books than any other recent comic.

4) A very popular on going title that should not be cancelled for a long time.

Remember guys supply and demand dictate price. Add in the fact that issues graded 9.8 by CGC are NM/MT copies and you have a winner.

What I can't understand is how so many comic guys want the price to drop. This makes no sense to me. If the Walking Dead keeps increasing in value and the show keeps bringing in record number of viewers it will help the entire comic market.

1. SOME people who have been hoarding silver/golden comics for 30-50 years are angry that 'newbies' and speculators are making tons of money off of these newer comics. Many feel like 'the work' hasn't been put in, and the people don't deserve the profits that are being generating.

E.G. if you bought 5 sets of WD 1-10 off the rack and kept them in good shape, and sold them at graded at the peak, you'd make more than most silver age collectors have in a lifetime. Some think that person doesn't have the same love of comics as them, that its all about greed or doing the 'hot' thing. And suddenly everyone thinks the person with the Walking Dead #1-10 is CGC 9.8 set is cooler (and more valuable) than me, the person with the whole Marvel-Team Up or Defenders run.

That's why some people want WD to drop off...

2. A lot of people into comics like being into comics because its not in the mainstream. They can feel 'special'. They start to feel like it becomes watered down or convoluted (which it probably has), when it becomes too mainstream (see SDCC). They think that in order to appeal to a much broader audience, comics have lost a part of what makes them special. And in some cases makes the 'true' comic fan feel less special too. Like when you favorite band starts going mainstream, then too mainstream.

E.G. My favorite band is U2 and favorite songs are Numb and Sunday Bloody Sunday. But if I'm talking to someone and their favorite song is from Zooropa, I immediately punch them in the throat.

3. Related to the above, could be a generational gap too. A large portion of the collectors here are 50+. While there are many WD fans in that age range, I think its fair to say that that is not the 'target' age range.

These aren't hard fast rules, just some of my dumb opinions.

If you're 50 + years old and still dealing in comics then you need to realize that you're going to die failry soon (geeks aren't the healthiest people) and leave all of your comics to me in your will.

But that speech about the Silver Age Versus the Modern stuff was pretty good....but what if you're not from those generations and you have no real connection to that era. Why should a kid who is 16 care more about Fantastic Four #1 (outside of it's collectable value) over a book from his time?

I'm 32, and came up in the 90s comic scene when the Bad Girl craze was at it's peak....so that's what I like and collect. I have no real connection to the Silver age stuff outside of it's monetary value....I undertsand it's legacy and impact...but as far as it's content...meh:/

So that means a Lady Death Omega Edition is far more valuable to me than Amazing Fantasy#15

If you're 50 + years old and still dealing in comics then you need to realize that you're going to die failry soon (geeks aren't the healthiest people) and leave all of your comics to me in your will.

But that speech about the Silver Age Versus the Modern stuff was pretty good....but what if you're not from those generations and you have no real connection to that era. Why should a kid who is 16 care more about Fantastic Four #1 (outside of it's collectable value) over a book from his time?

I'm 32, and came up in the 90s comic scene when the Bad Girl craze was at it's peak....so that's what I like and collect. I have no real connection to the Silver age stuff outside of it's monetary value....I undertsand it's legacy and impact...but as far as it's content...meh:/

So that means a Lady Death Omega Edition is far more valuable to me than Amazing Fantasy#15

Good point, that's exactly how i see it ... im collecting stuff which affected me as a kind, helped to grow and form my interrests ... every generation is having different comics, movies, music to celebrate. However this whole situation about WD is crazy hype ... just for the record, i love WD books.

What are some comparable trajectories for Walking Dead as a franchise?

I think we can agree it's not going to be Star Wars...

Can it be Star Trek (multiple franchises in the universe, TV shows, Movies, "Walkies", etc)?

What do people think the "trajectory" of the franchise can be?

Walking Dead 1 will not drop to nothing and it won't depreciate as much as some think...IMHO.

The print run factor is what it has in it's favor. With just around 7,000 copies produced...that is quite a low number when you consider A&E gets 10 million viewers a week watching the show. And, only 970 blue label copies available so far in the registry (probably less than that considering all the CPR done).

I do believe copies such as 19 and 27 will drop in value to some degree but will remain keys of the run.

Lastly, the writing is exceptional and I've grown to really like the art (although I know the art is debatable to some)

In 10 years this show will be remembered. Mainly because I think they have at least 2-3 more years doing the TV show.

Of course, if i'm wrong just disregard this post. :)

Hmmmm....So I guess the take away from this discussion is that greedy speculators have ruined (or are in the process of runing) the CGC Comic market just like they ruined the gold coin market?

So the Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 will be valued at about $60,000.00 USD by the end of season 5 (yes I'm being sarcastic....or am I?)

I remember when gold was around $700.00 an ounce in the mids 2000s now it's like $1600.00.....ridiculous.