• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harvey Warehouse Find Database/History?

27 posts in this topic

I have a few. I guess there is some debate about them being labeled "file copies" even though they were actually unsold copies that had been warehoused. That's my understanding at any rate.

I have dozens of these, mostly Felix the Cat, Little Audrey, Spooky, Wendy the Good Little Witch, Fighting Fronts, Warfront and Black Cat. I wish though I'd pulled out all stops and found the wherewithal to buy several hundred when Diamond Collectibles sent out a catalogue listing thousands in 1994 or so. Just another one of my collecting regrets.

:(

I still have the catalogue in a box somewhere.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

I think Geppi was the one who did the selling but nearly every dealer around at the time went to pick up copies. John Verzyl and Dave Kapelka have both told me there were hundreds and hundreds of boxes. Some issues had dozens of copies available.

The biggest issue was the warehouse was not air conditioned so finding books with decent page quality was a challenge. Some boxes had nothing that wasn't crispy. In some, the interior books were okay but many also had very dark edges. I know I've rolled the dice a few times picking up a book that looked great on a scan only to find the PQ was LT/OW. Any time I see a file copy available that isn't graded, I am very leery of picking it up without getting an assessment of PQ from the seller. Even with that, reputable sellers have still sold me things as OW only to see them get hammered by CGC.

I think Ritter at Worldwide has the biggest collection of the 1960s Harvey kids books. Metro apparently has a number of the warehouse copies and sells them as runs periodically. I've not bought any from them but have been warned that most of what they have left is very tanned.

I've got a Steve Canyon file copy with the info penciled on the top of the first page so that doesn't sound a lot like a warehouse copy.I'll have to go find it and check out the pq.Can't remember much about it.

Saw a whole bunch of pre/early code romance on ebay but never pulled the trigger on any of them,much to my regret.

I've bought a few of the humour stuff from Geppi's son on eBay....but it's been a while and I can't recall his handle. This was maybe 4 years ago....they were auctioning off lots of high grade books. I picked up some Stumbo's that were nice. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I bought several Harvey Warehouse comics from John Verzyl in the mid 1980s who was probably getting them straight from Steve Geppi. I got a few issues of Alarming Tales, Black Cat Mystery (Jack Kirby), Boy's Ranch (Simon & KIrby), Thrills of Tomorrow with Stuntman (S & K), Race For The Moon (Jack Kirby & Al Williamson). As far as I remember the page quality was ok and the cover gloss was excellent.

Wayne Ehrmann of Zeno's Books who has been in business in my area of Virginia Beach, VA since about the time Geppi was still a mailman knows about the Harvey Warehouse story. According to Wayne, Geppi didn't get rich from being a shrewd businessman. He only got rich because he was lucky enough to have bought the Harvey Warehouse for pocket change.

Edited by the_Leader_knows

I bought several Harvey Warehouse comics from John Verzyl in the mid 1980s who was probably getting them straight from Steve Geppi. I got a few issues of Alarming Tales, Black Cat Mystery (Jack Kirby), Boy's Ranch (Simon & KIrby), Thrills of Tomorrow with Stuntman (S & K), Race For The Moon (Jack Kirby & Al Williamson). As far as I remember the page quality was ok and the cover gloss was excellent.

Wayne Ehrmann of Zeno's Books who has been in business in my area of Virginia Beach, VA since about the time Geppi was still a mailman knows about the Harvey Warehouse story. According to Wayne, Geppi didn't get rich from being a shrewd businessman. He only got rich because he was lucky enough to have bought the Harvey Warehouse for pocket change.

Verzyl told me he spent a lot of time going through boxes to find the ones with decent PQ so it makes sense that your copies were good ones. He said there were so many boxes stacked to the ceiling that he didn't have enough time to go through everything

Geppi had over 500,000 Harvey comics about 10 years ago and has been selling them through Heritage over the course of that time. At 200-250 comics a long box, that would break out to 2000-2500 long boxes.

I don't know the date ranges or titles though, clearly the 1960s were covered.

There's a bit of information at www.metropoliscomics.com in the ComicZone radio interview archives in the Jay Maybruck / Sparkle City interview....4 parts. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here is page 41 with what was left of the early horror titles. Most of these had been picked over almost a decade prior to this catalog. But, notice TT# 15 NM for $110 still available.

Photobucket

Edited by RICK STARR