• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

...and thanks to a 10 week hiatus.....hahahahaha...Hickman has managed to find a way to postpone the apocalypse   :banana:

though even he can't make this book last forever. He is trying to outWarrenEllis Warren Ellis and his planetary run. Planetary was worth the wait and I'm betting this will be too. Issue #34 is out Wednesday   :headbang:

I always read this book digitally ad almost always on Tuesdays ( along with. The Walking Dead ) but this week I decided to save it for last. It typically ruins every other book for me the week it comes out and it would have done it this week too. Absolutely fantastic. Two of the best characters in the story go head to head in this issue. The outcome, while not completely surprising, has yet to be decided. I'll be happy and sad no matter who wins and who loses. 

It took quite a bit of storytelling and character building to get to this point but here we are and it was well worth the wait. Hickman is an amazing talent. I've probably been disappointed 3 times out of 35 in terms of my own expectations in regard to this tale. There are so many threads to tie together that I don't know how they'll do it in 16 issues but maybe they'll still make that happen. Still the best story in a longtime imo. :applause:

Well that was a lonnnnnnnnngggggg wait but well worth it. I love what they do with the colors. They really highlight the characters and artwork with background subtleties.

Spoiler

This issue was as far from the norm as it gets. Death as Andy Griffith haha. Babylon with a sense of humor and its all fun and games until someone gets a tooth knocked out :roflmao:

this makes for a happier Thanksgiving (thumbsu

3 hours ago, the authority said:

East of West #36 wraparound cover

Coolest EoW cover since issue #16 variants. Based on recent comments, I may be the last guy reading this....other than Solar lol

Nope, I read it too. 

We're the 3 best friends that anyone can have and we'll never, ever, ever, ever leave each other. 

Patrick

4 hours ago, the authority said:

Based on recent comments, I may be the last guy reading this....other than Solar lol

I actually just bought the full run in floppy form recently and will be starting it soon.  I am a little apprehensive though because of all the delays.  I was told each "year" is basically an arc so I might only read up to year 2 or 3 whatever the most recently completed year is.  But I've only heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.  I have Hickman's full FF/Avengers/Secret Wars run so I really needed more Hickman in my life.  :p

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I actually just bought the full run in floppy form recently and will be starting it soon.  I am a little apprehensive though because of all the delays.  I was told each "year" is basically an arc so I might only read up to year 2 or 3 whatever the most recently completed year is.  But I've only heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.  I have Hickman's full FF/Avengers/Secret Wars run so I really needed more Hickman in my life.  :p

The book will be 5 years old next month. Its on issue #36 so about 7 per year. Saga puts out roughly 8 per year so it's slightly off pace of what many consider Image's top non The Walking Dead book. The one that absolutely hurts is waiting on Southern Bastards. So good but so slow....

43 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Nope, I read it too. 

We're the 3 best friends that anyone can have and we'll never, ever, ever, ever leave each other. 

Patrick

Surprisingly, it would seem that there are at least 5 of us left hahahaha lol

Always liked the movies The Outsiders and Warriors. Now we're starting to live like them :roflmao:

15 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

Things are good Tom. Hoping the same for you! 

Chuck, I couldn't be any better...well, except for getting my tail kicked by a 15 yo girl in basketball today. lol

I don't get it. People told me my 50s were going to be golden. ? 

I'm calling it a night but we need to revive the Dead Zone. Stir things up a bit. Talk with you later (thumbsu

2 hours ago, the authority said:

The book will be 5 years old next month. Its on issue #36 so about 7 per year. Saga puts out roughly 8 per year so it's slightly off pace of what many consider Image's top non The Walking Dead book. The one that absolutely hurts is waiting on Southern Bastards. So good but so slow....

What I meant was that "The Apocalypse: Year One" goes through issue 15 and then "The Apocalypse: Year Two" goes through like issue 30.  So I was thinking of reading up through issue 30 since Year Three presumably won't be finished until issue 45 (at that rate).  Otherwise I'll just be left hanging for months on end possibly until the following issue comes out.   

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

What I meant was that "The Apocalypse: Year One" goes through issue 15 and then "The Apocalypse: Year Two" goes through like issue 30.  So I was thinking of reading up through issue 30 since Year Three presumably won't be finished until issue 45 (at that rate).  Otherwise I'll just be left hanging for months on end possibly until the following issue comes out.   

Got it. Now that you mention it, I'm curious how that ends up. Hickman and Dragotta said this would be a 50 issue run...and take 5 years to finish.  Maybe its going to be 3 and 1/3 years ???  ? 

It has been a great run either way. Going down as one of my all time favorites as long as they end it will and close to that even if they screw it up. 

On 3/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, Archaeon90 said:

Still reading it here as well.....its one of only a couple i am reading. truth be told not much coming out nowadays that gets me interested.

(Also regret getting rid of my #1 RRP) 

Issue #36 was excellent ! There is more happening in this book than usual. Not only that but time and events move quickly. The first page of the book is beautiful and Dragotta just knows how to tell a story with art that makes you stop and take a moment to enjoy it. The colors, as always, were perfect. What else can you sappy about that. The thing that stands out to me the most is how much of a reflection of today's society that Hickman manages to reflect and capture without being too preachy. His point of view is obvious. Instead of a hammer, he makes his observations and opinions stick by using a velvet glove. So rare and so old school in his style that he really stands out in today's crowd. 

The book will be 5 years old by the end of he month. When it first came out, I wished it was on a biweekly schedule so I could hurry up and get to the end. Now I'm savoring it. 

One last thing. This is NOT a book that you can just jump in at the middle. It requires a beginning to end read. The good news is that it is inexpensively obtained in trades and runs. Well worth your time imo. (thumbsu

Edited by the authority

On 2/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, the authority said:

East of West #36 wraparound cover

Coolest EoW cover since issue #16 variants. Based on recent comments, I may be the last guy reading this....other than Solar lol

Just popped back in for the first time in a few months and see that I got a shout out lol

Still reading and loving EoW - it's the best book out there right now IMO