• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning Bidder Doesn't Pay posted by hammershipdown

10 posts in this topic

Or... How many people are out there bidding on stuff and then not buying it...

I had a few eBay auctions for the end of the year and sold a bunch of stuff, but it never ceases to amaze me that every time I auciton off stuff, there's always one person who wins an item and then never pays.

I have put together a couple of responses to this problem. First, I send an invoice over and over again, email, but it's always the same thing. There is no response what-so-ever when a person plans to not pay for their winning bid.

Second, The bidder goes on my block list. At this point it only has to happen once and you'll never get to bid on my stuff again. I do try to inform the bidder they will be blocked from future bids.

And then, finally, I've debated on this over and over again. With an eBay purchase, a buyers name, address and phone # all appear in an invoice. I've been tempted to call the bidder and say, "Hey, what's up? I'm still waiting for either a payment or a reply to your purchase." - How freaked out would you be if someone called you directly from an eBay purchase? I have the urge to do this, partly for the "comedy" of it, second, to point out to a non-payer, "hey, ! I know where you live and your phone #!" -

I guess, I'm just really curious if anyone has ever done this before? If so, would love to hear how it went down?

On another note, my latest order finally went "Graded" - What is the wait time now until their shipped? Anyone know?

See more journals by hammershipdown

I hate non-paying bidders as well however I have never gone so far as to call them or show up on their doorstep. I will usually block them from future bids and then have eBay reverse the fees charged for their purchase.

I tend not to use the auction format either and post everything a buy-it-nows, since you are less likely to encounter non-paying bidders that way. Although I once had a guy "purchase" $800 bucks worth of stuff only to find out he did it to a bunch of people so that he could have completed listings show sold values so when he sold his similar items he could get close to those (unpaid) values. And he never paid for anything that he "bought".

I have the Opposite going on right now. I bought a book back on 12-15-2012. no response, no book. had to file a claim. Then he emails me and says . OHHH I forgot all about it!. I bet he didnt forget about the 100 bucks I sent him a month ago.

They've got us. When they win they can still on the invoice until we open a case (no earlier than 4 days), so best case scenario is that we are tied up for a week or two before relisting/reselling. BLOCK the buyer in the future. Go to the site map (bottom) and the blocked user list, add their id. The best you/we can do.

Ryan

I think I'll go ahead and write a nice email first and if I get no response, I'll go ahead and call them directly. Just for fun and see if they freak out.

I should also note in my descriptions something about this - a warning to non-paying bidders - we have your name, address & phone #.

Let you all know how it goes....

Last year I sold over 20k worth of shtuff on eBay (but less than 200 transactions so IRS doesn't tax me). I mostly sell comics, but also dvds, cds, household items, camera equip., etc. In my experience, it seems that comic buyers are the worst at paying late. I've never had anyone simply not pay, but have opened a number of cases, at which point they have all paid. So even though it's a hassle, I've never been screwed over per se. I'll continue to sell on eBay since I have had more positive experiences than negative. I didn't know how to block people from bidding, so glad to have read these responses and learned a thing or two.

As a buyer I have hated many of these people but at the same time have also a slight ability to like them as well.

As a buyer they kill me with this. If you’re not ready to pay and pay quickly don't bid a number you can't back up. This hurts many of us that are wanting the same comic but because of your sniping tactic or bloated bid don't get to own it. I have no issues if you bid high and get it. At such point if you’re willing to pay more then I’m happy it means that much more to you.

Why I like it though, is that many times it does give those of us under these bidders a chance to own a great comic at our Second Chance if the seller deems my bid worthy. This actually happened just recently with a comic I won from seller:galehaut, where I lost an auction but was picked up with a second chance...if your out there G and you read this thank you. If it was because he had more than one and felt my bid below was worthy than i'm happy to be of service and continue to fund your business, but if this is because a buyer failed to pay, then again thank you for still believing in me as a customer

Either way for those that conduct this type of bidding shouldn't just be banned from your sites but at the least suspended from all for a period or blocked if it is a continuous issue by the same individuals. Another cool idea is attaching a warning to them in some way so that sellers understand that this buyer isn't always cracked up to be what he says he is.

My issue being the buyer is based on the sellers not being able to get me my purchased comic. I have had a few issues where I have sent multiple emails and have been as respectful as possible and many times state that I would like to continue future business if they are able to complete the transaction. But have had some sellers completely ignore me and had to go the Paypal / eBay route inorder to be reimbursed which if any have done is a pain.

I guess this is what many of us are stuck with if we continue to utilize eBay.

Sorry to hear about your seller/buyer woes... i always pay when i win... Why else would i bid?

But once i left a negative feedback because i felt i got duped and i got a surprise call from the seller. It definitely took me aback, but in the end we worked something out.

I say call them and ask if there is some kind of issue... maybe they have a legitimate excuse... you never know.

Good luck!

SW3D