• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance of Spider-Man's Black Costume Anywhere?

120 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't care for my opinion...?

hm

That's an interesting theory!

PS. Flipping people off British style is definitely the sign of a reasoned, well framed argument.

:applause:

:facepalm:

Well this thread took a turn, didn't it?

I remember seeing the previews of the new Spidey costume, and I was actually looking forward to the red and black concept.

I was pretty disappointed when the black and white version was the actual final design.

I don't mind the b/w design now. It holds up pretty well!

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I think the ignorance from this forum and thread is obvious in the way members talk to other members because they had diff point of view.

Yes, in your posts.

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Heck I remember when Canadian edition didn’t exit on their labels

(That's supposed to be "exist" and referring to Copper age Canadian Newsstands, right?)

All the time, because CGC is very inconsistent at labeling them properly? Because I'm pretty sure CGC recognized them from the start or close enough that you wouldn't be able to separate not recognizing them from the normal inconsistency they've demonstrated.

3 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Nobody cares about your opinion like you don’t care for yours ✌️

I care about his opinion.

Also, you throw out the bully card and then perpetuate further "bullying" with your response. Well played.

Of course, that's if anyone buys into these examples as "bullying", which I don't. Somehow, I think the majority of people who throw that term around (thrown around way too freely and carelessly these days) have never been truly bullied in their lives. 

I was called a huckster whatever term that is referring to me  I assume as persons trying to pawn off books . That’s not me then someone rats on me to the mods for my statement on this member having a big mouth . You can’t force your opinion down my throat . So I get a warning for doing nothing more than post info . It’s a free country right? Seems to me people on here like to protect their own interests . I could care less . 

100% bullying 

All I did was post a list of preview magazines that had black suit in it long before ASM 252 this happened . 

I was insulted being called names, warned by mods and still continues I’d like mods to offer the same warnings I received to the other members prolonging this !

20 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I was called a huckster whatever term that is referring to me  I assume as persons trying to pawn off books . That’s not me then someone rats on me to the mods for my statement on this member having a big mouth . You can’t force your opinion down my throat . So I get a warning for doing nothing more than post info . It’s a free country right? Seems to me people on here like to protect their own interests . I could care less . 

100% bullying 

All I did was post a list of preview magazines that had black suit in it long before ASM 252 this happened . 

I was insulted being called names, warned by mods and still continues I’d like mods to offer the same warnings I received to the other members prolonging this !

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

100% bullying 

Having just caught up on this thread, from a third party perspective, I in no way construed RMA's "huckster" comment as any reference to you, more a background reference on how others have come in here previously with the intent to prop up the value of their own books/collections by trying to aggressively sway us into adopting a new definition for "first appearance".

RMA's responses (as he often is) were balanced, measured, and informative.  There's a hint of sarcasm in there, but it's not intended as, nor did I view it as "bullying".  Heck, I'll throw in some jokes and sarcasm in my posts to avoid being overly serious as well.

Largely, it seems to me that you mis-read the tone of the posts and believed these to be verbal attacks hurled your way when, as I said, from an outsiders perspective, that was not the case.  From there, the conversation spiraled downward as you fought to defend yourself from non-attacks which you thought were attacks.  It's all a misunderstanding that should frankly just be put to bed.

While I appreciate the sharing of knowledge of the preview pages, it's widely regarded by the community that "1st appearance" refers to "1st appearance (in story)".  I will say, OP's initial title is rather on point as he specifically asks for the 1st appearance "anywhere" which does open the door for other mediums/publications.  Frankly, the 1st appearance "anywhere" was likely some sample art privately distributed internally between artists/writers/publisher.  The "1st appearance (in story)" is really all that matters to the majority of collectors.  But if you enjoy picking up the nuanced bits of comic book history, all the power to you.

5 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

100% bullying 

No one called you a huckster. As you admit, you don't know what a huckster is, but assumed it was an insult, and responded by insulting. You received a warning from the mods for insulting people, not for "doing nothing more than post info." No one but the owners, administrators, and moderation can force any opinion down anyone's throat. Everyone else is free to post as they wish, within the bounds of the rules, and can neither force, nor be forced by, other members to do anything. You are not the victim. You are the perpetrator. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Lazyboy said:

(That's supposed to be "exist" and referring to Copper age Canadian Newsstands, right?)

All the time, because CGC is very inconsistent at labeling them properly? Because I'm pretty sure CGC recognized them from the start or close enough that you wouldn't be able to separate not recognizing them from the normal inconsistency they've demonstrated.

They recognized them.  But the submitter had to put the information on the submission form. 

14 minutes ago, 500Club said:
On 4/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Lazyboy said:

They recognized them.  But the submitter had to put the information on the submission form. 

And even then you have to double check all of the books when they post the invoices online. I still have one or two that they miss even when I mark them down on the electronic submission. 

I just noticed the other day that they mixed up the two Punisher LS 1s that I submitted late last year. I will have to get that sorted out now..... doh!

You're all wrong.:nyah:

The artwork is the first appearance the moment someone other than the artist sees it :insane:

j/k

If a claim can be made that the official 1st appearance of a character can take place outside of a comic book story, then where can those claims end? 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:15 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Was there ever an actual reason said for going with the black and white costume as opposed to the black and red one?  Wonder if Shooter made the final call on that.

I find it easier on the eyes. My eye's anyway. Glad they chose white for the 1st appearance in ASM #252.

The topic of this thread clearly says "anywhere." I don't know why all the trolls came out to feast.

Thank you all for the list of preview books. I have owned multiple copies of all these spiderman comics since the 1980's. It's nice to see other books of interest to hunt for. I really don't care how people classify them.

27 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

You're all wrong.:nyah:

The artwork is the first appearance the moment someone other than the artist sees it :insane:

j/k

If a claim can be made that the official 1st appearance of a character can take place outside of a comic book story, then where can those claims end? 

Those claims end with the destruction of the universe. It's very important to continue arguing first appearances. 😉👍